• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Yak.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Imperial College Research help in Bike Helmets
  • infidel
    Free Member

Hi team,

The below came to me from a colleague who is a senior researcher in Bioengineering at Imperial. They are trying to develop an independent helmet rating system, presumably like the Virginia Tech Helmet Ratings in the USA. Any help would be appreciated??

Dear all

If you are a cyclist: we are developing a helmet rating programme. To help us select which helmets to rate, please complete this survey (V1.1, 10/06/2022): https://forms.office.com/r/R1ftMLv2Jq.

It should not take more than 5mins. Please also consider distributing it as appropriate.

funkrodent

Done

tthew

Me too.

Not sure I agree with the argument that helmets are the only way to prevent head injury in cyclists. Not crashing would be my preferred option..😁

Bazz

Done.

stumpyjon

Also done.

Beagleboy

Done

Any other surveys I can fill in? Please?

It’s that or I have to go into the lab and start restocking the -80C freezer that I defrosted yesterday.

Anything??

Please?????

Jamz
    Free Member

You are missing a key factor in helmet choice (for keen road cyclists at least) – aerodynamics – that obviously trumps trivial considerations like safety, cost, comfort etc.

Yak

Done. I do use the Virginia Test scores as a reference, so another rating system would also be good.

IdleJon

How many respondents clicked that they cycle on motorways?

irc

Done. Anyone else tick the don’t own a helmet box?

I agree the best prevention is not crashing.

BillMC

I have done the deed.

fazzini

Completed! Haven’t used Virginia Tech Helmet Ratings since I stopped playing American Football 😂

TiRed

done. Doesn’t allow different helmets for competition disciplines. My carbon Giro aerohead is not entered and it’s not a cheap beast (£400) and not used for anything other than TTs.

Yak

I didn’t used to use the Virginia tech ratings, but after some concussions that lasted a long time, I thought that anything that reduced the impact force a bit would be worth considering. So went tld a2 instead of my usual Giro recently.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.