Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Imoca 60 boat time…
  • matt_outandabout

Oh yes, this looks fun…
    I’m voting that he actually stays at home and this is a massive radio controlled yacht….

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/220602/The-new-Hugo-Boss-boat-hits-the-water

bikebouy
    Free Member

It is awesome, but feel it’s wasted on him 🤷‍♂️

matt_outandabout

You may have a point there…

He sure knows how to get good pr and sponsors though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    littlerob

Saw it “in the flesh” as it were last might in Haslar marina and thought it looked awesome. I hope he nails it this time.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Guy’s are you certain we have this up the right way! Surely the mast goes on the other side, pass the drawings over here !

regenesis
    Free Member

That guy is a cock of the highest magnitude.
    He can sail but him being on a boat on his own is the best place for him.

siwhite
    Free Member

I visited one of his previous boats (the one that he abandoned in the South Atlantic IIRC) in build a number of years ago in a large shed in Lymington. I managed to nab an offcut of the carbon / honeycomb / carbon deck which I’ve still got somewhere…

matt_outandabout

I’m trying to work out why the bow is that shape. It’s almost trying to flatten out like a scow now, but it’s not. It’s not wave piercing, bit when heeled will have a sharp release rail at waterline…

Wookster

He’ll just write it off I reckon!

garage-dweller

That looks fun not sure I fancy his consumables bill though. 😄

Not sure about the bloke but that’s one interesting bit of design.

scruff9252

It does indeed look interesting- my hypothesis is they are trying to get the deck as low drag as possible and also generate aerodynamic lift this the inverse shear front and taper aft.

It looks like all the rope work is done from down below. There also is no obvious outside helm position.

Looking forward to seeing it out sailing

matt_outandabout

(with thanks to sailing anarchy)

bikebouy
    Free Member

t does indeed look interesting- my hypothesis is they are trying to get the deck as low drag as possible and also generate aerodynamic lift this the inverse shear front and taper aft.

The Scow is making a comeback, thats for sure.

IMOCA 60’s being Open Design has allowed for 60ft’er to plane upwind now, with the revolution of foil design and rotational wings in the rigs means less drag in the waterline and more opportunity to plane upwind. Where once the design would have needed to “plough a trough” like trad bow designs, there no need now as the bow rarely needs to punch through, rather glide over the top. The chines give definition before the beam to allow pointing combined with he foils, otherwise each “wave” would knock off the bow and upwind angles would be less acute.

The fat stern has been in vogue since the early 90’s, again planing surface allowing water to glide off the back at anything more than 10knts (‘ish)

I’d love to see the hull inverted, be much clearer to see where the V is (if any) and how far back it goes (but would expect no further back than the front of the mast foot.

Not too sure about he graphics on the stern, looks like the designers are playing with a Lambo CAD programme.. and pretty pointless other than to create media interest (as per the bat mobile above, which no doubt is the aim of the design in this area)

I have been on his old (natch) Open 60 around the IOW, him and a few from the Club got the opportunity, and it was stunningly fast with 1 slab in and stonking upwind. It pointed really keen and once up on the plane seemed to point even higher.. once around the Needles and offshore about 4miles we put up the code 0 and the thing flew downwind to St Cat’s. Felt like about 10mins to get there.. but the whole trip was fast. Over-riding memory was it was bloody noisy, slamming over waves sounded like a car crash and the pitch and yaw coming of even modest 5ft waves around Freshwater Bay felt like we’d take off and land on the waves 40mtrs in front and pretty much miss out on the ones in between.

He (Alex) is a driven character thats for sure, but he certainly has the steely eyed mentality of an offshore sailor. Whilst I think this endeavour maybe a bit wasted on him (recent history proves my particular point) I think he’ll certainly have the quickest boat out here, and even the French are still making variants of the last designs as competition.. So good on him.. It’ll be an interesting race..

matt_outandabout

Looking back at things this morning – sail handling and changes could be fun as well, the hatches don’t look huge on the ‘coachroof’ area.

I’m also wondering if the larger hatches are actually ‘pop up’ headspace to have clear view, like an adjustable one of these.

How will he see trim of sails etc, CCTV?

sharkbait
    Free Member

It pointed really keen and once up on the plane seemed to point even higher

Once the water is flowing over the foils at a certain speed they will generate their own lift and you can then push harder against them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can someone explain the deck level spreaders to me? I know they’ve been around since the 90’s, but not every boat uses them. I would have thought that a conventional more flexible mast that you could tune (and would automatically respond to gusts) would be better than what’s presumably more akin to the stiff mast off a multihull?

The older generations of open60’s you kinda got the impression they were fast, but you could put up a sensible sail choice, stick the autohelm on and get 20 minutes sleep every few days. How the heck do you get any sleep on a boat doing this? These new boats are just incredible, with the lift producing foils it approaching dinghy performance on a 60ft boat!

#Vivonsfort

#Vivonsfort

Posted by Jérémie Beyou on Monday, September 24, 2018

Once the water is flowing over the foils at a certain speed they will generate their own lift and you can then push harder against them.

Or just more like a dinghy where once it’s planning upwind the sheet loads drop and you can get the sail nice and flat and it feels like you’re pointing higher as the apparent wind picks up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1478850/

£90k, anyone want to chip in for an STW crowd funded Vendee entry?

jimdubleyou

I hope there’s a drain hole at the bottom of that companion way.

It also looks like it’s designed to not change sails much – I assume they are allowed some sort of power assist to reef etc?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Or just more like a dinghy where once it’s planning upwind the sheet loads drop and you can get the sail nice and flat and it feels like you’re pointing higher as the apparent wind picks up.

nah… it’s the foils. They won’t worry about sheet loads and as you go faster the apparent moves forwards so it actually heads you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

£90k, anyone want to chip in for an STW crowd funded Vendee entry?

Class40 for me please 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was a moan about the spiralling costs of IMOCA 60’s and campaigning them. But when you consider that Hugo Boss costs £5.5 million to build, that’s a bargain. I’d be interested to know what the running costs are over 4 or 8 years but assuming it’s <<£5.5million a year that’s also quite cheap.

Your name plastered across the fastest 60ft racing monohull on the planet and media exposure just for a few spectacular photos and silly stunts.

Or running a 2nd division pro cycling team that I’ve already forgotten because they weren’t inneos/EF/bora/quickstep/alpicin/astana/movistar.

bentudder

Scow bows were / are popular in Mini Transats a while back, but the entry is / was a lot blunter than that new Boss boat.

Mini

mini as well

There does look to be a load more volume in there, and I’m guessing a much stronger hull/ deck join, too – there’s no toerail as such any more, and I wonder how they engineer that join; a shoulder is nice and beefy, but an oblique join sort of feels like it wouldn’t be that strong. Mind you, I don’t know nuffing, having been out of the loop for so long.

I’d still buy an old Mini, though. Such cool boats. I have a massive soft spot for the Pogo 2, which probably massively dates me: Groupe Finot Pogo 2

I can just about fit one down the side return of our house on its trailer. I measured up and everything. Mrs Udder was unimpressed when presented with this information.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Buy it 🥳

bentudder

If I had about £50,000 to spare, then maybe, Bikebuoy!

As the udderlets are now getting older and getting into sailing Optimists, I am toying with the idea of seriously detuned Mini – the Bene 210 line. Lifting keel, trailerable, easy to sail and not too crazy a rig. Might need to go back and have a look at whether it’s possible give it a bit more oomph. Annoyingly, years ago I helped campaign a proto designed and built by Stefan Nauck that updated that design and was a massive hoot to sail. Nice big fathead main, canting prodder, the lot. Serious fun, even with the disadvantage of a scratchbuilt hull. The mast wasn’t built to spec and had a massive weak spot: a diamond to prevent inversion forces from the asymm terminated at the bottom just above the lower junction, so there was about two inches of mast that took a massive load. Basically tore itself apart. Luckily the spar maker acknowledged the error and fixed it in the new one. Fun boat, that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

👍👍🥳

matt_outandabout

Oh yes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks too CGI’d to be real that.

We’ve been debating that footage at the club, we’re 50/50 whether it’s actual footage or not 🤪🤐

bentudder

Feckinell. That’s pointier than it looks in the first pic. And properly impressive.
    Why does it look like they borrowed the colour scheme from a can of Lynx?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone interested in the AC foilers?

Heres AMagic … and it’s slow foiling tack (at the end of the vid)

Pretty quick, none the less..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive got to admit when they announced 75ft fully foiling monohulls I expected a couple of very expensive white elephants that would never sail and a hasty retreat back to multihulls, but that looks a lot more stable than the cats!

Are they trimming the two sides of the T seperately to control the center of effort to keep it flat? If not how does it work?

matt_outandabout

Anyone interested in the AC foilers?

Oooohyesplease…

null

null

I’m intrigued to see the ground effect scow of USA Vs the blimp bulge of NZ…

I’m also keen for team GB/Ineos to get out on the big beast.

I’m down in November, and want to go see if they are out on the water, plus my CEO is pals with AlexT, so keep hinting at a wee visit to that boat as a ‘team day’…

@thisisnotaspoon
    – my first pic answers your question. All hydraulically trimmed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Looks like a solid 20-25 knots there from the AC foiler….. Impressive but I hope that wasn’t a proper tack!
    Think I still prefer the short course format of the multi’s though. Watching big boats drag racing for miles gets pretty boring.

HB looks like a real roller coaster ride….. Frightening.
    Not sure it will hold together to complete a lap of the planet.

DickBarton

Is that Thor’s new ride?

matt_outandabout

I bet those boats *feel* like Thor’s hammer is pulling you along….

bikebouy
    Free Member

TNZ have released a vid of their AC Foiler, foiling.

There’s plenty vids out there now, should we keep the AC gossip with n this thread along with the IMOCA stuff ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another IMOCA foiler.. Or YT vid

matt_outandabout

should we keep the AC gossip with n this thread along with the IMOCA stuff

Admin, can you change the title?

May as well have one thread.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon – my first pic answers your question. All hydraulically trimmed.

More a question of how do you trim them, or do they move them in/out to move the center of effort? Looked like they were sailing them heeled to leeward and nose down so there must be some fine controll beyond just in/out?

matt_outandabout

I think it’s dependent on the boat. Some its the rudder that has up / down on the t-fins, most you can adjust the t-fins on the main foils, some the foils cant or adjust fore/aft.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed, this is where the hydraulic rams come in.

Beam foils cant fore/aft inside the hull via rams, the rudder(s) have rams attached to the stock (think i14 rudder stocks with hydraulic rams)

A simple example is the Moths, the rudder cants the wing via a twist grip on the extension and a wand at the bow is used to cant the centreboard foil fore/aft.

Pic: to show the wand and centreboard, and rudder (but you cannot see the extension twist grip so you’ll have to take my word for that….)

Vid: explaining the wand/centreboard

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Imoca 60 boat time…’ is closed to new replies.