Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 241 total)
  • I’m watching the Olympics!
  • theotherjonv

Norwegian beach handball team got fined because their pants were too big.

Utterly ridiculous.

https://news.sky.com/story/norways-beach-handball-team-fined-1-300-for-wearing-shorts-not-bikini-bottoms-12360215

kelvin

The sports climbing is properly awesome.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Laura Muir was the highlight today, absolutely phenomenal performance, seeing her rip past saffan with 200 to go was unreal, thank f there wasn’t anyone else in the office, I was all over the shop! 🤣

Cougar

BLame the FIVB, they actually set limits on what the women can wear inclduing the maximum size that the material can be at the narrowest point where it crosses the hip (6cm IIRC).

Yet if they play in places like Dubai it gets overruled.

I can’t remember who it was now but I read a week or two back that someone had told them “wear what you want ladies, we’ll cover any fines.”

theotherjonv

Mens Keirin isn’t for the faint hearted is it! There’s a lot of melted skinsuit to be peeled off that track.

tlr

It was Pink who said she’d cover any fines.

theotherjonv

TBF, there was a queue round the block of people willing to pay the fines.

kelvin

Surprised the Madison is back… lots of “I think”, “that might be” from the commentators (who really know their stuff)… needs a lot more on screen graphics/infographics to explain what the hell is going on.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Classy from the German Modern Pentathlon coach, punching the horse from yesterday.

kelvin

Ok, that Madison was very exciting.

nickjb
    Free Member

Great race. Hard to follow the tactics, who’s flagging and who’s resting but still exciting. Worked out well for GB in the end.

Lol ‘flipping’ good post race interview

crazy-legs

Yeah, the Madison was very tense, good finish to get that Silver as GB looked a bit lost in the middle third of that race.

I missed the post race interview, what was said?

tlr

Not the word ‘flipping’…..

eskay

Yes, the Madison was brilliant, good silver for the lads.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Another former Salazar coached athlete doing the 5000m plus 10000m double (with 1500m bronze for good measure)

Some coach that guy was!

nickjb
    Free Member

I missed the post race interview, what was said?

Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll make the konichi-wow section. He said one f-word them immediately corrected it to flipping, although too late for the live feed.

scuttler

But then he said something about feeling ‘crap’ so not totally redeemed for daytime BBC.

I think they need a better protocol for masked interviews. The amount on the track / velodrome where they ask a long question to be met by ‘Ey?? Can’t hear you’ is embarrassing.

BruceWee

Classy from the German Modern Pentathlon coach, punching the horse from yesterday.

I was trying to find the footage but all I could find was this reconstruction:

theotherjonv

we haven’t even got an athlete in it but I’m gripped by this women’s high jump, and desperate to know what Nicola writes in her book. It looks like she’s doing sums!

nbt

It was Pink who said she’d cover any fines.

I have a lot of respect for Pink, i think she’s a brilliant person

kelvin

That high jump was great viewing (as was the men’s).

kelvin

Rhythmic gymnastics… what, how, huh?

I just can’t comprehend the skill and control required. Insane stuff.

shinton
    Free Member

Reminds me of the time a horse bit Mrs S on the head as she was bent over so she punched it in the mouth. Mind, that horse the German pentathlete was trying to ride is probably at the glue factory by now.

ratherbeintobago

Some coach that guy was!

Meticulous with the… preparation, wasn’t he?

MoreCashThanDash

Popped into see my parents this afternoon and my 83 year old dad was raving about how good the skateboarding had been!

Only the Olympics gets minority sports that kind of exposure.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, my Dad was blown away by the BMX and caught the last lap of the mountain biking and was duly impressed so I told him that’s what I did out riding. The women’s madison was amazing.

onehundredthidiot

Watched some proper BMX racers on our pumptrack. The downhill/mtb guys couldn’t understand how they rode the doubles with the bikes 6inches off the deck when they were 6foot off the floor.

Edukator
    Free Member

Note it was the German coach that thumped the horse not the rider. I was impressed by the restraint and persistance of the rider. I’d have got off and walked the thing back to the box before the first jump, she got the thing over four. A German and Russian put out by the same horse or when the Olympics are a just a lottery.

What do you do with a horse like that in a public setting? It had already had a bad experience with the Russian but was put back into the same environment by the organisers. It was doing the exact opposite to the five commands to go forward it was being given. At that point you normally give up, but this is the Olympics so you’re expected to give your all even with a recalcitrant beast. The result is what we saw.

The system is flawed, expecting riders to jump a horse that doesn’t know the rider. The riders can’t even warm up their horse, someone else does it.

jimw
    Free Member

Note it was the German coach that thumped the horse not the rider. I was impressed by the restraint and persistance of the rider.

I was watching it live, the rider gave it at least two very sharp ‘taps’ (full on whacks) with the crop before she tried to start her round. I was shouting at the telly telling her to stop hitting the horse- my partner reminded me that she couldn’t hear me….
    According to the expert ( won silver in 2012 I think) on the tv today they can ask for the reserve horse if their selection had been seen to be spooked by another rider or out of sorts earlier, but as she said they often don’t “because the horse is the reserve for a reason”

theotherjonv

Weird podium ceremony for the men’s Keirin, awarding the gold, playing the national anthem, holding an interview and then awarding silver and bronze almost as if they were in a different race 😉

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Just read we will match the 2012 medal haul. Thats brilliant, no home advantage and to do this with all the challenges athletes faced over the last year and a half is so great to see.

pondo

Just reading about Lauren Price – gold medal at middleweight in boxing, she’s also played football for Wales, won World, European and British kickboxing titles and has also represented Wales at international level at netball and taekwondo. That’s pretty diverse! 🙂

ratherbeintobago

What happened in the women’s Omnium?

beej

What happened in the women’s Omnium?

Lots of crashes in the last couple of laps of the initial scratch race.

dantsw13

Which included Laura Kenny, so she was out of the medals.

Amazing long attack by JK to win the men’s Keirin though. I wonder if he specifically set the gearing to do just that, knowing his raw sprinting power wasn’t there any more?

corroded
    Free Member

Kenny’s keirin win was amazing and hilarious. In an interview he says he told his coach on the startline that if there was a gap he might just launch it. You can see from about 30yds before that derny pulls off that he’s aware that he’s aware that there’s a gap to the Aussie and that Glaetzer is more concerned about looking behind than watching what Kenny’s doing. So, pure opportunism and brilliant to watch.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I don’t think that it was solely the Scratch race crash that did for LK….13th in the elimination race is 12 places worse than she normally does!

onehundredthidiot

Baseball honestly how is that an Olympic sport how many countries actually play it? Oh and well done Japan getting the gold. Maybe American will want it withdrawn now.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I think that it’s already been canned for the next Olympics. Totally agree though, although fairly hilarious that USA didn’t win

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 241 total)

The topic ‘I’m watching the Olympics!’ is closed to new replies.