Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 241 total)
  • I’m watching the Olympics!
  • 2tyred

I reckon the lead Danish rider didn’t realise Tanfield was man 3, think he figured he was the jettisoned man 4 who shouldn’t have been there (unlike a gapped man 3, who should).

Bit shady that the Danes weren’t DQ’d for the illegal kit, just told to stop using it. Rules not really being applied consistently IMO.

The German women’s TP was astounding.

Think the Danes go through, from the Guardian:

The UCI deliberated for half an hour before announcing that Denmark would advance to a final against Italy on Wednesday

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Bit shady that the Danes weren’t DQ’d for the illegal kit, just told to stop using it. Rules not really being applied consistently IMO.

Does look a bit Cheaty McCheatfeet doesn’t it.

shinton
    Free Member

Danes should be DQ just for their front rider being a complete dick

Probably a bit harsh to DQ the team but certainly a case for banning the rider who caused the crash from the final.

nbt

Any news on what is happening with the Men’s race? Does the GB vs Den heat get re-run or is it deemed that the Danes got the catch?

As things stand, Danes got the catch and go to the final. GB are in 7/8 playoff based on Charlie getting back on his bike and finishing. There are expected to be appeals tomorrow before racing starts

100 % agree with this though

Probably a bit harsh to DQ the team but certainly a case for banning the rider who caused the crash from the final.

theotherjonv

Is Christian Horner writing our appeal documents?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve read that they had cleared the use of the tape with officials only for it to be rescinded after other teams complained. But at time of racing it was fine.

Cougar

Well, the climbing is fun.

That lead wall is $%^&ing brutal.

theotherjonv

WHERE’S THE DERNY!!!

Not all progress is progress.

crazy-legs

Men’s Team Pursuit up any minute, can’t wait (even though there’s no Team GB in it).

theotherjonv

Katy Marchant relegated in the Keirin for going above the red line. Sounds like that’s that, not even to the repechage even though she didn’t particularly affect anyone and won by a length. Hardly like she just rode into the back of someone else, which is apparently OK.

Interesting as they said the track was a bit longer and thinner than usual, so the pursuit riders would be going black on corners to red on straights to round it off a bit, I wonder if the natural full gas sprint line pushes you a bit higher?

ratherbeintobago

WHERE’S THE DERNY!!!

There’s no derny? 😳

theotherjonv

There’s a bloke on an ebike…….adds insult to injury.

But it only goes up to 50 kph, leaves a lap earlier (safety apparently) and doesn’t fill the velodrome with smoke and the smell of 2 stroke

ratherbeintobago

That’s a bit rubbish. Not the same without clouds of blue smoke.

Mind you, I was wondering last week if there’s a derny-paced LEJOG record…

theotherjonv

Marchant wins again in the repechage, looking very impressive.

crazy-legs

That “derny” is pathetic.
    They had an electric derny for a while which was bad enough, that is just a de-restricted e-bike. It’s not a Keirin without a rumbly little farty 2-stroke. IMHO.

theotherjonv

Now that was fun!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ganna 😳

twisty

In the team pursuit, the lead Danish rider was looking at the floor for an extended period of time in order to be as aero as possible, this caused him to crash into the trailing UK rider.

Seems pretty crazy that UCI makes all sorts of rules for sock height, banning supertuck, etc but have nothing targeted towards lead riders maintain some forward situational awareness.

I admit, at this level of riding you would not expect the 3rd competing rider to have fallen so far back, but all sorts of hazards can occur on the track – fallen rider/equipment issue etc. Surely it is reasonable to expect lead riders to maintain a bit of forward vision and try to avoid hazards?

simondbarnes

Surely it is reasonable to expect lead riders to maintain a bit of forward vision and try to avoid hazards?

Agreed, but it would have been a bit of a travesty if gb were advanced ahead of the Danes. Was quite pleased to see Italy win though.

mefty
    Free Member

I dont understand why we were in the seventh/eighth race, surely the point of the round against the clock is to find the fastest teams after that it should be a simple knock out so we would have gone into the bronze run off. What would have happened if we had been caught and had no time, which race would we have gone in?

simondbarnes

What would have happened if we had been caught and had no time, which race would we have gone in?

3/4 (i think)

nbt

No, the seeding means that the winners of 1v4 and 2v3 will go into gold medal race. For the other 6, it’s just ranking on fastest times in their races. As slowest we were in 8th pos, but even without a crash Charlie was way off the pace and we’d have been well down

On another note, I’ve managed to watch the speed clmbing and the leading from the mean’s climbing yesterday, ahas anyone got a link to coverage of the buoldering?

mefty
    Free Member

No, the seeding means that the winners of 1v4 and 2v3 will go into gold medal race. For the other 6, it’s just ranking on fastest times in their races. As slowest we were in 8th pos, but even without a crash Charlie was way off the pace and we’d have been well down

But this is illogical you are mixing two race formats in one race – a head to head and a time trial – it should be solely be one or the other and if the latter why bother as you have already done one.

crazy-legs

But this is illogical you are mixing two race formats in one race – a head to head and a time trial – it should be solely be one or the other and if the latter why bother as you have already done one.

It’s long been a complaint in the TP.
    The qualification run (only one team on the track) is based on time to give a seeding.

Only the top four teams can compete for the gold medal, with teams fifth and lower only able to reach the bronze final at best (that’s a fairly recent rule change, it used to be 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th and so on).

In the next round, the fastest team takes on the fourth fastest, and the second and third ride against each other – with the winner of each match-up progressing to the gold medal final.

The bottom four teams are also seeded against each other, and the two fastest teams not to reach the gold-medal final, contest the bronze-medal final.

In the finals, there are the two medal finals, as well as a placings final to determine who finishes fifth and sixth, and seventh and eighth.

Problem is that you can end up in a situation where a ride off for Bronze or a minor placing actually records a faster time than the Gold/Silver ride off. It’s unlikely since by definition the fastest teams in qualifying should have got through but it has happened.
    Today for example, GB went in the 7th / 8th place ride off and GB got a 3.45. That was faster than the time that Canada did to win the 5th / 6th ride off. If you were basing it on a purely TT format, GB would have come 4th.

theotherjonv

This^

Don’t know why rules changed, but it is now effectively a 4km time trial for all but the gold-silver race

If you can’t win your semi, you now have to bury yourself still to make the 3/4 race, where you could have ‘conceded’ and rolled in saving yourselves. I think it also plays against the idea of a pursuit, eg going out super fast to try to get the others to have to change their plans and speed up beyond their comfort and hope they blow up worse than you do. You might win your race by winning the pursuit but still not progress.

Not a fan of the change

DezB
    Free Member

Standard of women’s skateboarding is stunning.

CountZero

Standard of women’s skateboarding is stunning.

I know, watching a thirteen year old riding a ‘board like she does is humbling, but she’s been riding since she was five. But it’s the fact she survived a horrible crash, was back on a board two weeks later with her arm in a cast, and pulls off a performance like that not that long after. Youngest ever Olympian, too.
    I can barely stand upright on a bloody skateboard!

theotherjonv

Youngest ever Olympian

British.

She’s a vet compared to the 12yo Japanese girl that won silver.

I think the BBC said that the combined age of the podiums in the women’s streetstyle and park was 86. Bloody kids!!

TiRed

Is there a better Olympic spectacle than the weightlifting? Where else can you see the competitors compete for second place#. Finish their competition and then watch the star come out and win Gold o first lift, then obliterate records at a whim. You owe it to familiarize with the rules and watch on catch up. Just remarkable.

kelvin

The skateboarding was a great watch. I’m won over, for sure.

theotherjonv

It’s brilliant. Right up until the point where I was just channel flicking one night and saw a weightlifter dislocate his elbow doing a lift.

I can just about watch it on highlights assuming they won’t show something like that, but still the memory means I wince at every lift and watch from behind the settee. My arse is knitting buttons just thinking about it.

Still, quarter of a tonne give or take!

theotherjonv

The skateboarding was a great watch. I’m won over, for sure.

No no no no no.

No place for any sports that need judges :rollseyes:

mefty
    Free Member

If you can’t win your semi, you now have to bury yourself still to make the 3/4 race, where you could have ‘conceded’ and rolled in saving yourselves. I think it also plays against the idea of a pursuit, eg going out super fast to try to get the others to have to change their plans and speed up beyond their comfort and hope they blow up worse than you do. You might win your race by winning the pursuit but still not progress.

I dont think your conclusion is right the winner will go through, but the sentiment is correct as there is jeopardy to going all out to catch a stronger team as you may blow up and do worse than your best and thus lose your chance at a bronze, which in my view is wrong and makes it a bugger’s muddle. The previous system was better.

ratherbeintobago

No place for any sports that need judges

You mean you don’t like horse dancing? 😳

theotherjonv

I love them all, but there was a discussion a few pages back (as there always is around Olympics time) about ‘judged’ sports not really being sports.

Which is clearly bollocks

theotherjonv

Teams have worked out how to beat us in the cycling then – just ride into us!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just watching the woman’s platform diving, absolutely incredible performance from the Chinese divers.

thols2

This surprised me. Has it really never happened before?

crazy-legs

Teams have worked out how to beat us in the cycling then – just ride into us!

That was the rider in 4th place moving up, the Dutch rider behind jinked to try and avoid her, clipped the wheel anyway and went straight into GB.

It’s actually quite upsetting that a simple crash like that can completely obliterate any chance of a medal. 4 years of work and training wiped out in half a second through no fault of your own. 🙁

TiRed

a simple crash like that can completely obliterate any chance of a medal

Your surname is Roglic and I claim my five pounds. It’s a cruel sport sometimes.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 241 total)

The topic ‘I’m watching the Olympics!’ is closed to new replies.