Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 241 total)
  • I’m watching the Olympics!
  • Bunnyhop

Team GB, normally excel in the rowing. What’s gone wrong?

DezB
    Free Member

Got quite emotional watching the BMX this morning. Bloody exciting races, wish I coul’ve seen the quals too

pondo

Is it me or is women’s football a far more entertaining game than men’s? Zero histrionics, haven’t seen a single appeal to the ref for someone to get sent off and players getting tackled don’t look like they’ve been snipered. 🙂

nbt

I guess you need the low gearing for the start because track position and passing is hard but it always looks like a few more gear inches later on and you’d just ride past everyone! Still, pretty sure they’re got it right.

Olympic BMX – gears!?!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Magic.

Athletics have started, that’s what the Olympics is all about for me, always has been. Pity it’s on at stupid o’clock.

nickc

Team GB, normally excel in the rowing. What’s gone wrong?

Google Jurgen Grobler…He’s left the team, he was the head coach of British Rowing. Many folk have said, that while successful, his methods were pretty bad mentally for the athletes. There’s quite a bit of controversy

pondo

Crikey, seems like it – from th’ITV;

“Shortly after winning bronze with the men’s eights, rower Josh Bugajski also alluded to transition.

He did not hold back, claiming he “popped a bottle of champagne” when head coach Jurgen Grobler left last year.

Bugajski said a “much better era” follows the departure of Grobler, who coached eight gold medal-winning British crews across seven Olympics.

“There were people that he seemed to take a disliking to, and what he did to them was destroy them, destroy their soul, destroy everything. He had complete power,” Bugajski said.

Bugajski also questioned selection over the past few years, saying “for some people, one mediocre result was enough to put them in a boat”.”

slowoldman

Re rowing I think several countries have caught up. The same may well apply to track cycling. We shall see.

Klunk
    Free Member

Jurgen Grobler

I had the “pleasure” of watching him work, close up. Quite an eye opener for sure.

on a side note think i’m done with the Olympics, well past it’s sell by date. Needs a complete overhaul of the sports…. Your sport isn’t eligible unless 90% of Olympic family can enter a competitive team.

2tyred

Get out, this is the Olympics positivity thread, the moaning thread is elsewhere!

The ping pong final was brilliant viewing – China v China, cool shirts, barely suppressed aggression, hilarious Best In Show-style commentary and jaw-dropping ping pong skills.

Feel a bit sorry* for the rowers, fine margins and all that. Don’t like the “you got all that money, where are the medals?” narrative. Not like you can sign better rowers is it? Takes time to build.

*Only so sorry though – seen too many former rowers take up bike racing and discover they’re really good at it, with their massive aerobic engines.

spacemonkey

Currently watching the mixed triathlon relay. GBR’s Jess Learmonth has put Brownlee in a great position with T-B going next then Yee hopefully bringing it home. Really good to watch.

theotherjonv

Fabulous event, I was just switching off for bed and now an hour later…….

Great tactics by Yee as well, had 20s at swim to bike transition and the French and US guys bust a gut to get back to him before the run, but he didn’t sweat it, just sat on a wheel and then just burnt them off as soon as the run started!

2tyred

Ha ha same here! That was ace, who’d have thought? Triathlon!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hopefully see one of those huge Dina smiles today! 🙏🏻

theotherjonv

Mixed swimming relay is ace as well! They can swim in any order, 2 women 2 men, strokes are usual fixed order. Some teams swam two men to start and had a big lead that was reeled in, some strokes are disproportionate for men vs women, basically you haven’t got a clue who’s really winning until the turn in the final leg

[clue: it’s us]

fasthaggis

That was ace, who’d have thought? Triathlon!

It was indeed.

Is it just me though,or does some of their cycling technique look a bit wrong,when I see them drafting on tri-bars in a bunch I almost have to look away.:-)

scuttler

Mixed 4 x 400m on the track too this year (also any order)

Bunnyhop

The mixed tri relay was fab. Loved Alex Yee getting onto the wheel of the American. He seems weak in the cycling, but a machine in the swimming and running. Maybe because its a shorter course and he’s used to cycling longer distances.

I wish the commentators could say ‘sitting’ instead of ‘sat’ all the time. Mini moan over.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wish the commentators could say ‘sitting’ instead of ‘sat’ all the time. Mini moan over.

Tbf, that’s no quite as bad as describing Yee as ‘weak’!

shinton
    Free Member

Probably been done on other threads but if you are a Sky customer you can get Discovery+ free for 12 months and watch all the events either live or stream later. Mrs S found this out as she wanted to follow the equestrian events.

onehundredthidiot

So I missed the triathlon relay. I assume it’s a relay in each discipline. Be a bugger being fourth swimmer treading water waiting for the last handover.

theotherjonv

No, two guys, two women doing a tri each – 300m swim, 6.8km bike, 2km run about 22-25 mins each

I don’t know if order is set but everyone seemed to be doing F/M/F/M (cf the swimming where it’s Back/Breast/BF/FS but you’re free to put the team in whatever order you want)

theotherjonv

DAS looking like not making the final, in fastest loser land and a quick heat to come in the other semis

scuttler

4x100m mixed medley I think the only consistent leg from a gender perspective was breast stroke so maybe that’s where the biggest margin is, in part due to one Adam Peaty 😁

Mackem

Is it me or is women’s football a far more entertaining game than men’s? Zero histrionics, haven’t seen a single appeal to the ref for someone to get sent off and players getting tackled don’t look like they’ve been snipered. 🙂

Thus post just looks like the usual anti-football posts.
    The quality of Women’s football is generally abysmal. Getting better though, but still not a patch on the men’s game.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Also stayed up to watch the mixed Triathlon. Just a terrific win for the GB team. Gutsy start from Learmonth, brilliant run from Brownlee to set Georgia up and Alex Yee held his nerve and composure. It felt as though the French guy blew himself out trying to catch the GB and American athletes. I thought it was brilliant to watch as well as an outstanding result. And considering the slip at the start our mixed swimming relay team produced an awesome result. There has been some terrific sport on show so far and I have been loving it.

DezB
    Free Member

The quality of Women’s football is generally abysmal. Getting better though, but still not a patch on the men’s game.

Funny that, came here to ask if anyone knew why the men’s football was of such low quality! Caught some of Mexico v S Korea, qurter finals and it was like watching women’s sunday league. Had to turn it off.

(ps. Women’s rugby 7s is where its at. Real quality entertainment.)

crazy-legs

Archery is weird isn’t it.
    It’s a very elaborate set-up of carbon fibre scaffolding containing built-in sights and counterweights. I think it could be livened up no end by doing it from horseback with points for both accuracy of the arrow and riding style.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Funny that, came here to ask if anyone knew why the men’s football was of such low quality!

Probably cos men’s football rightly or wrongly disnae give a **** about the Olympics.

It’s a far bigger stage for the women’s game.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

More stunning running from local lass Jemma Reekie again, she’s been phenomenal in the last year.

Her and Laura Muir moved in together last march to form a training bubble, looking like it’s worked really well for her yet again.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Really enjoying the athletics, but in 2020 is there really not a better way of identifying the athletes than attaching a sheet of A4 to their t-shirts with safety pins?

kelvin

Reekie is awesome. So in control.

Anyway, mixed relays… loving them. Not so much the commentary over them. Continually questioning whether the track 4×400 should even be held while the final is being shown was annoying… like reading a STW thread live alongside the race. Do that downplaying and old timer shouting at clouds another time, not while we’re watching the race.

jimdubleyou

GB Women currently 2 up vs Ireland in the hockey. Not a bad game.

kelvin

🇯🇲🇯🇲🇯🇲
    🥉🥈🥇

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t know if order is set but everyone seemed to be doing F/M/F/M

It is set in the triathlon relay, unlike the swimming. Not sure why, I think it would make it more exciting if they could do it in any order, for the same reason the swimming relays are.

nickjb
    Free Member

🇯🇲🇯🇲 …….. 🇯🇲

Fixed

They didn’t look best of friends

AdamT

Quite liked the fancy protection on the track in the build up to the W100m race

kelvin

They didn’t look best of friends

It did look like more than just the disappointment of missing out on gold. Some proper personal beef there.

simondbarnes

Not so much the commentary over them. Continually questioning whether the track 4×400 should even be held while the final is being shown was annoying… like reading a STW thread live alongside the race. Do that downplaying and old timer shouting at clouds another time, not while we’re watching the race.

I’m watching Eurosport so that I don’t have to suffer Steve Cram.

jimdubleyou

It is set in the triathlon relay, unlike the swimming. Not sure why,

It would cause carnage in the transitions. At least if the order is set, most transitions happen roughly at the same time.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 241 total)

The topic ‘I’m watching the Olympics!’ is closed to new replies.