Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Im up in Torridon at the mo, and we have done the epic Annat/Achnashel Coulags
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

But is there anything else thats comparable in the area ?

Even if its an up and back, or just coasty single track are there any recommendations?..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That looks miles better than the Liathach loop! Wish we’d done that instead. The Liathach loop is carp, Some road, some rideable singletrack, about 3-4 miles of hikey bikey boulders, a downhill then road back to Torridon.
    Don’t bother, Do the Beinn Damph route!

thefallguy
    Free Member

Drive through sheildaig and up to Kenmore on the coast road north. Ride the path to applecross and then the coastal path to sand. This ride lacks some of the ultimate thrills of the big loop but it really is a great day out with some great trails and views over Skye. Chips at the apple cross inn are fab for lunch too. much nicer than the Ben damph loop imo

debaser

Aye, I really enjoyed the Beinn Damph loop and would second third that. The descent from Drochaid Coire Roill to Annat is superb. Lots of rocks, slabs and a lovely finish through some woods above the pub.

An out and back to Craig bothy from Diabaig is worth a look too. Not much altitude gained or lost overall but lots of lovely slabby stuff and a real technical challenge in places. There is a short carry in the middle, but it’s worth it.

nick1962
    Free Member

+ 4 Beinn Damph

scuttler

+1 for you’re a git cos you’re in Torridon and I’m not 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Thanks for the replays folks, looks like Beinn Damph is the one, just need to get this past the one and only Clarey morris.. 😉

You would have hated it Scuttler, just cleaned the dust off with an airline, soo much work.. 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Whats the Singletrack like from Applecross towards Tosaig, any good ?

FOG

I was really disappointed by the classic Torridon circuit. I had really been looking forward to it but the first climb is a bit dull , the drop to the station is just a fire road and the climb up from Coulags is just a slog which for my limited skills was mainly a hike a bike. The drop to Annat was great though, should have just done an out an back.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

FOG it sounds like you did the wrong descent. Did you go past the wee bothy? Can’t remeber what it’s called but it’s pretty memorable.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

FOG, you went wrong somewhere (like we did 2 years ago but thats another story involving Torridon mountain rescue :oops:)

Next time (for there will be a ‘next time’) we’ll be staying high & going by Coire Laire. OK so you miss the descent via Coire Earba but you also miss the slog up from Coulags.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi GAVGAS this may get to you too late…………. However.

Did another smaller ride up there that is worth a look. Start at the Achnashelach station side and ride up past the bothey and loch and hike to the Beallach as if your about drop down to Annat.
    BUT dont go left at the Beallach go right. There is a decent single track that traverses accross follow it around and up. Then there is a cracking bit of singletrack down to a lochan (think tarn).
    Then theres good ole hike a bike up out from the loch.
    This takes you to a beallach about 6 km above the start of the good down to Achnashellach. Yep down hill for a long….way….. 😀

it looks like this

But with some of this

you can just see a ribbon of singletrack in the picture

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

And while were talking Torridon the Annat loop has got a hellish Kenny Wilson moment in it over the bog rock clamber, but the last decent is superb If you had time would be worth a push up and blast down…..

FOG

I think you are right stevenmennuir, I didn’t see any bothy at the top of the Coulin pass or on the forest side. There were an awful lot of big trucks about though as they were doing some work so I may have followed a diversion!
    esselgruntfuttock – that sounds a much better weay of getting up onto the ridge and staying there until the final descent

tomd
    Free Member

I was really disappointed by the classic Torridon circuit. I had really been looking forward to it but the first climb is a bit dull , the drop to the station is just a fire road and the climb up from Coulags is just a slog which for my limited skills was mainly a hike a bike. The drop to Annat was great though, should have just done an out an back.

There are a number of variations on the big loop. We took the option up to Coire Lair from the Bellach na Lice. The descent is a thing of wonder. Then rode along to Coulags, back up the Bellach na Lice and down via Annat. Easily the most amazing ride I’ve done for the quality of riding, epic-ness and scenery. If you’re up again make sure you check out the different options, no need for fire road descents!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, You’ve went wrong somewhere FOG. I’d say there is very few rides anywhere in the UK as good as Torridon.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I did the same as you FOG in 2011. After the Coulin Forest section I turned left over a bridge which resulted in a seriously long fireroad climb then a boring fireroad descent to Achnashellach station (were all the logging was taking place). Nice view mind.

Instead of turning left you go straight on and keep the stream to your left and climb up to Drochaid Coire Liar. It’s then left and down to the station. (This same track (if you go right) eventually takes you to Bealach na Lice (which you reach from the Coulags climb before descending to Annat)). Actually I’ve heard this is pretty good too.

I’m sure someone posted it on here but Annat >> Bealach na Lice >> round to Coire Grannda and Coire Lair >> Achnashellach Station >> Coulags >> Bealach na Lice >> Annat

God damn. I’m looking longingly at OS 24 & 25 again. I’m dying to get back up there in the next couple of months. The riding is so good there and there’s loads I want to explore.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Up in Torridon you say? B@stard! 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

+5 for ben damph. 10 miles up the road in the Kinlochewe there’s the Lochan Fada loop if you are feeling particularly skillful! be aware crossing over the river can be difficult in spate(guessing it looks like a burn in dry weather).

theblackmount
    Free Member

You went over the Coulin Pass FOG. Take a map the next time 😉

clareymorris

And for the ULTIMATE route…..

Annat >> Bealach na Lice >> Bealach Ban>> round to Coire Grannda and Coire Lair >> Achnashellach Station >> Coulags >> Bealach a Choire Garbh>>Loch an Eion>> Annat

Simply the best days mountain biking EVER 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bealach a Choire Garbh>>Loch an Eion

Hmm, interesting, never heard of adding that wee extra bit on, I’ll investigate when we’re up in september. What was the climb and descent on that like, Clare?.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Thanks NCB we have done all the trails on that side, just looking for some lesser known stuff really,we did the Lochan Fada route today, superb Techy single track,and a great afternoons riding.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge, The climb from the Coulags side bothy is a big carry but the drop on the other side is an excellent gradient, dare I say it well suited to a 29er or even a hard tail would be ok, It extends the total descent to Annat to at least 6-7 miles with the odd small climb a very worthy alternative and misses the boggy section beyond the Coulags bothy itself, handy if its wet.

househusband

clareymorris’s route was exactly the one that I enjoyed with rickmeister last year – it was, quite simply, amazing. The climb and portage up to Bealach a Choire Garbh was tiring but well worth it – what a buzz coming down!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Gavgas and all that route looks great gets both the really good decents. I have looked up that path after the bothy a few times looks a stiff old climb!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Househusband has it, probably the longest singletrack descent i have ever done in the uk

enmac
    Free Member

All the routes are discussed here:
    http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=27%5Dnull

The classic loop is the Alternative Torridon.

FOG

TBM I know I was on the Coulin, I was following the Vertebrate route fro their Scottish trail guide. It was at the top of the Coulin I must have gone wrong getting the dull route to Achnasheen. However I still believe the climb from Coulags is a joyless slog.

scuttler

However I still believe the climb from Coulags is a joyless slog

“Ya gotta hike for your thrills bro!”

GaVgAs
    Free Member

As a lakes rider the Coulags to the wooden bridge is very grippy making it a great challenge, i love technical climbs and this is no exception, so much more rideable than the sketchy climbs we have in the lakes on slippy lakeland slate.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think the problem is the route in the VP book. He should have used Kenny Wilson’s book. Nothing wrong with the Coulags climb, its mostly rideable. Even when wet. Much harder climbing up from Annat.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Im up in Torridon at the mo, and we have done the epic Annat/Achnashel Coulags’ is closed to new replies.