Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • I’m under no obligation to ride a cycle path rather than a 3 lane A road right?
  • Poopscoop

Other than the cycle lane (totally separated from the road by a wide grass bank) being safer of course… am I actually obliged to use it legally?

Pretty sure I’m not but want to check with you guys. There is a reason I’m asking but in truth it’s not very interesting so won’t bother to mention it.lol

scotroutes

No legal obligation unless the A road has a signed restriction (I can think of some that do).

Poopscoop

Good point, I’ll check.👍

Onzadog
    Free Member

As above, it’s not the cycle lane which might force you to use it but a carriageway restriction that might.

There are basically two types of cycle lane, advisory and mandatory. However, that is about where cars can use them, not whether cyclists should.

oldnpastit

It depends. Do you pay road tax?

Haze

edit: basically what Onza said

anagallis_arvensis

It depends. Do you pay road tax?

The last one ranting at me about it started dribbling on about Council Tax.

Kryton57

Depends on whether you’re wearing a helmet…. 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Which one offers the most chance of a K.O.M?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Which one has less broken glass and dog sh1t on?

patagonian
    Free Member

Which one has pedestrians on it shouting at you to get in the road?

curzon
    Free Member

Or the opposite. Car drivers shouting abuse at you to get of the road and use the cycle path.

I’ve also had other cyclists on the cycle path shout at me to get off the road and on the cycle path.

avdave2

With so little understanding of the rules of the road what are doing on them on a bike. Your level of ignorance of the law only qualifies you to drive a car.

ampthill

As in understand it no obligation

Along the A6 i son’t know whether the cycle path to the side is safer. It cuts across the side roads which i find very hard to cross safely. You have to look 3 ways

“In built-up areas cycle tracks 25% safer than unsegregated road between junctions, but 32% more dangerous at junctions. Cycle lanes 36% more dangerous between junctions, 19% safer at junctions. Seriousness of accidents greater if tracks or lanes present compared with no facilities.”

First hit on google so maybe rubbish

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/research.html

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You’re not the lunatic on the (genuinely shouldn’t have been there) a64m in Leeds last Thursday are you OP?

TiRed

Or the poor cyclist killed on the A40? There is a good cycle path on the opposite side of the A40 beside Northolt airfield which I used to ride along. I’d never ride on the A40, but sadly this rider did and was hit by a lorry at 6AM.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Saw this on a bus recently, really impressed with the idea and message:

null

scruff
    Free Member

Kinell that bus will get the gammons frothing.

Also, I tend to ignore these signs but if someones walking the other way, I’ll usually slow right down and move over or stop to let them past (if on a narrow path etc).

Edit, I know blue rectangle is for informtion, before someone tells me.

jimdubleyou

We saw a cyclist on the M25 the other day, riding clockwise between j9 & 10 I think. Reckon he could have been a continental visitor as he had a full touring kit attached to the bike.

We got off a Leatherhead and saw a traffic cop heading the after him, but apparently didn’t get him…

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/police-dispatched-cyclist-spotted-riding-motorway-surrey-446440

They should put that sign on that back of more buses!

ads678

They should put that sign on that back of more buses!

They should and then hopefully the bus driver might start taking notice!!

Akers

We have a ‘cycle lane’ (pavement with a line down the middle) nearby, that runs along a busy single carriageway B road, though a highly populated area with shops and a school on it and side road junctions every 100m or so. With the number of pedestrians wandering across it combined with having to slow or stop at every side junction it is practically unusable. To be fair I can understand why pedestrians don’t want cyclists on the pavement when they are coming out the shops and walking their children to school, however if you ride on the road you just get angry drivers trying to squeeze by shouting out their side window “Use the Cycle Lane”.
    Thank you Elmbridge Council for making cyclists 3rd class traffic.

Poopscoop

avdave2

With so little understanding of the rules of the road what are doing on them on a bike. Your level of ignorance of the law only qualifies you to drive a car.

Your level of arrogance and lack of understanding barely qualifies you to use a keyboard.

Go and rubbish some other thread, or your boxers. Whichever you find more convenient.

Thanks for the more helpful comments guys.👍

Rich_s

avdave2

I thought that was very funny! Read it again, Poop.

Poopscoop

Ah……

Missed that. In my defence one literally had no sleep. Terribly insomnia at the moment which leads to cognitive issues and short fuse… it would seem.😁

Sorry avdave2.👍

damascus
    Free Member

The road from Bradford to Leeds has a cycle lane but if you use it, you have to stop at every side road to get past cars. If you go on the main road it’s quicker.

Depending on how scary the traffic is depends on which bit I use.

Cars don’t understand why I don’t want to use the cycle lane but It can mean the difference between 10mph average and 15 mph which makes a big difference on a ride to work.

Cycle lane never gets cleaned as the road sweepers can’t get in past the kerb so it can have debris in which kills expensive tyres.

avdave2

Lack of sleep seems to have given you forumrage Poopscoop.:-)

Poopscoop

That’s really unlike me to be honest!

Again, genuinely sorry bud. I’m going to have a great day today,I can see it now!

DezB
    Free Member

Saw this on a bus recently, really impressed with the idea and message

Christ! Ironic that the last 2 dangerous drivers I had to report were buses! Wonder what the driver thought of that plastered on the back of his vehicle…
    Imagine if this had had it on the back 😆

slowoldman

The cycle lane should definitely be given priority at side roads. If it’s difficult/dangerous to use cyclists will ride on the carriageway – then they WILL have priority.

As I understand it there are rules (or perhaps just suggestions) regarding road markings which make it difficult to allow cycle path priority. In that case it’s high time the rules were changed.

Poopscoop

dezB

Blimey, bet that made your bum grab the saddle!

Esme
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

bet that made your bum grab the saddle!

Dunno about that, but I sweared a bit 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Just remembered, last time I drove down the Eastern Road into Portsmouth (if you don’t know it, it’s always bloody busy) there was a woman on a sit-up-and-beg type machine riding amongst the cars on the main highway. This road has on (smoooth path) and offroad options running it’s whole length! eg.

I wouldn’t mix with the cars on it. Can’t imagine her thought process (if there was one), but she’s allowed!

avdave2

Again, genuinely sorry bud.

I was amused not offended in the slightest. There are a number of cycle lanes here in Brighton I never use as the road seems a lot safer but there are others where I’d never dream of using the road even though I can. Mainly the stretch between the Marina and Rottingdean or Falmer to Lewes but people do still ride on those roads. I think often the issue is actually getting to the cycle lane if you don’t know the area well, the fact that it’s such a disjointed network can make it difficult to use them even when it’s by far the best option.

IdleJon

Depends on whether you’re wearing a helmet…. 😉

My MiL started wittering on about a cyclist we drove past last week not wearing a helmet. I was more concerned about the lack of lights and dark clothing at 7pm, but non-cyclists are conditioned these days to see bare heads. 😀

crazy-legs

We have a ‘cycle lane’ (pavement with a line down the middle) nearby, that runs along a busy single carriageway B road, though a highly populated area with shops and a school on it and side road junctions every 100m or so. With the number of pedestrians wandering across it combined with having to slow or stop at every side junction it is practically unusable. To be fair I can understand why pedestrians don’t want cyclists on the pavement when they are coming out the shops and walking their children to school, however if you ride on the road you just get angry drivers trying to squeeze by shouting out their side window “Use the Cycle Lane”.
    Thank you Elmbridge Council for making cyclists 3rd class traffic.

Similar set up on Priory Lane running into Richmond Park. Footpath on one side is designated as a shared use foot/cycle path but it’s got pedestrians all over it, dogwalkers, leaves and it’s slow. Might be OK for a doddery old biddy on a folder but for the hundreds of roadies heading into RP, none of them would even consider it. And oh wow, does it wind up the gammons. Even though it’s a 20mph limit and the cyclists are usually doing 17-20 anyway.

In answer to the OP, I used to ride the A4 into London occasionally and there were sections of that whihc had a “cycle lane” to one side. It was so slow and so dangerous with cars turning across and going into/out of driveways that it was far quicker and safer to use the main road. And at the time I was riding it, traffic as usually bumper to bumper anyway, speeds not usually much more than I could do.

irc

The cycle lane should definitely be given priority at side roads.

I saw an example of this in the USA. Not only cyclist priority but the road had stop signs rather than give way and being the USA traffic was stopping despite no cyclists in sight,.

Bike path

DezB
    Free Member

The cycle lane should definitely be given priority at side roads.

This is how we do it in the UK

scotroutes

Why did the cyclist not just slow down a little?

I’d rather be alive than right.

DezB
    Free Member

😆 I knew when I posted that it will have been my fault to some idiot! 😆

ps. if I hadn’t slowed down I would’ve been underneath the **** wheels

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘I’m under no obligation to ride a cycle path rather than a 3 lane A road right?’ is closed to new replies.