Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I’m sure it’s been asked, but when do you think we’ll see bikes in stock?
  • darthpunk
    Free Member

That really.

I’m currently mountain bikeless, frame split a few months back. I’m not tottally lost, i’ve got a Carerra Subway singlespeed that i’ve stuck higher volume tyres on so I can still get out. Plan B is a 1999 Specialized Hardrock my dad has which I’ll stick some parts on from the knackered bike.

I’m looking around almost daily now for stock, but I don’t want to plump for something just because it’s in stock but it’s not what fits the bill.

chestrockwell

Bikes are coming in to stock all the time but in limited numbers and sell very quickly.

If you are not too choosy get on the phone and ring round local shops you are willing to travel to. After that set stock alerts at places like CRC and be ready to jump as soon as you get a message.

It can be done but not if you don’t put the work in.

chestrockwell

Just noticed the bit about being choosy……

Same rules apply, you just might be waiting longer or need to dig deeper.

tonyd

As above, they are coming in stock in dribs and drabs. Decide what you want, decide what compromises you’re willing to make, and ring round shops.

Both my sons need new bikes so I’ve had to do exactly that. I spoke to a Specialized concept store about 8 weeks ago and they told me to call back in 6 weeks as they were expecting stock. I called them two weeks ago, ordered what I wanted, and put a deposit down. I’m actually getting three bikes:
    1. Son #1, just arrived, now in build queue, pick up in a couple of weeks
    2. Wife, expected in stock in two weeks, then two weeks in build queue
    3. Son #2, expected in stock early June

It’s not ideal but I’ve spoken to about 6 shops over the last two months and pretty much every brand has long lead times. Some models aren’t expected until summer ’22 now!

Alternatively, shop around for a second hand frame and make do for a year or two. Be prepared to get bent over on second hand prices though.

bridges
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering this. Spoken to a few London shops; the outlook isn’t great. CV aside; Brexit will mean unit prices will be significantly higher, so this will impact on the higher end stuff a lot more. Getting something like a Specialized Epic Evo in to test ride will be a challenge, from what I gather. Shops aren’t going to want to be lumbered with expensive stock they can’t sell, taking up space. The demand for ‘ordinary’ bikes for commuting has soared, so that’s what shops will be getting in. Hence my plan to go on holiday and see if I can pick something up abroad. Yes; it’s not good for the UK market, but if I can’t get what I want here, I’ll look further afield.

BillOddie

At the moment I think it’s easier if you go Frame only and build up a bike yourself, especially if you have a few parts around you.

I have done that twice this year and it was a bit of a faff but it’s not that hard.

What s it that you want, broadly speaking?

lawman91

Most shops will be told what they can have, rather than actually being able to order what they want. A lot of bikes coming are already pre-sold too. Honestly, you can’t be too picky and for christ sake don’t ask for a discount regardless of how much a bike is. The shop will sell it all day long at RRP. Overall, you’ll be in one of 2 places: falling lucky and getting something along the lines of what you want soon-ish, or pre-ordering and waiting a few weeks/months.

snotrag

@BillOddie

At the moment I think it’s easier if you go Frame only and build up a bike yourself, especially if you have a few parts around you.

I have done that twice this year and it was a bit of a faff but it’s not that hard.

If you can get the frame you want, then 100% this. I ordered my Camino frame in February and it came a few weeks after in March, took me a week or two to build it with a high Shimano GRX/Ultegra type build.

If I’d ordered the equivalent ‘full’ GRX build then I’d be getting it sometime in the summer…

Parts are there, you have to work to find them and order from lots of places, but they are there.

grahamt1980

Have had a meta tr on order since Dec. No idea when it is coming as yet, starting to get annoying as the monies have gone for it. But am hopeful, i know exactly where the shop is too if there are issues

cloggy

Cotic Stanton and On One all currently have stock. Think Sonder may have too. It’s just a matter of build times, which seem shorter than last summer.

branes

In a similar vein, what about parts? It seems to be impossible to get any Shimano and most SRAM bits at the moment, even from Germany which seemed well stocked last year compared to the UK. Are they all on a boat somewhere? Or is that dribs and drabs too?

Tracey

If it was me I would be looking on Pinkbike to pick up a good second hand frame. You can drill down in the search to get near what you want

I was looking for new SRAM eagle at the weekend for a friend who said there was none available and after ten minutes managed to locate it all via google all showing in stock with some good discounts

I’ve sold a few bikes over the last year, one last week, and we have bought three that we wanted along with some parts. Stuff is still out there it just takes longer to find it.

I’ve kept clear of the European sites since Brexit but just had some Oakley stuff delivered from Italy and not had to pay any extras

danmac
    Free Member

Red kite cycles in Solihull have plenty of bikes in currently. Phoned on the offchance at the weekend that they had one in the wifes size and their reply was, yes mate, got 8 of them!

ahsat

Next door neighbours kid was 14 today and promised a bike but due to shortages got told he could look around and get something when it came into stock. 3 hours later I see him riding round the lane on a brand new cube full sus from LBS! I was super chuffed for him (and it looks great) – does go to show that a bit of luck (and not being too picky about finishing kit) pays off (and maybe being the size of a 14 year old!).

Cotic Stanton and On One all currently have stock. Think Sonder may have too. It’s just a matter of build times, which seem shorter than last summer.

I love my Stanton but be very cautious about any of their quoted lead times! My 8-10 weeks frame and fork became 7 months (and that wasn’t the forks fault!).

Tomthebombhole
    Free Member

Agree on Stanton, not even waiting for a build – just a Sherpa frame that was in stock and needed putting through painting process. 8 weeks later I’m getting a bit frustrated…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I’m sure it’s been asked, but when do you think we’ll see bikes in stock?’ is closed to new replies.