I'm stuck… You choose.

Home Forum Bike Forum I'm stuck… You choose.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I'm stuck… You choose.
  • Normy

Right. Basically. I’m getting an AM bike. My background is DH so I have to go for something that can cope with me going a bit off course on the downs so ruled out the likes of a cheap giant trance (I’m on a bit of a budget). I’m gonna have to finance it as low on cash having just bought a house.

Soooo…. I’ve narrowed it down to two, ridden both, can’t decide. Both are litterally as good as each other.

Either a zesty 214

Or

Norco sight SE 3

Both are really good bikes from what I’ve seen.
    And about the same price – lapierre is a bit more

What’s the general opinion here?

Can’t help
    But feel the lapierre a lot of the money goes on the name and a bit of paint whereas the norco it goes a bit more on the spec?

sambob

Norco’s probably a bit more sturdy.

Normy

Oh and I need a small as I’m only 5’9” . So I can’t get a higher spec last year model for cheaper as they’re all massive!!!!

Normy

Sambob…. Exactly what I’m thinking. It looks and feels a bit like that too

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

If they feel the same and you can’t make your mind up then go with either the cheapest / one you’ll spend least on or the one you like the look of best

Doubt you’ll come up against anything that will wreck either bike…lapierre seems to have 150mm up front rather than 140, and suspension seems better overall than norco. Personally I’d go for the norco cos its cheaper and I prefer how it looks.

Dunno whether one is more sturdy than the other tho…got mates on 314 and 514 lapierres who love em…norco might be seen as more niche mebbe….

Normy

I’ve also got a mate with a 314 so was the reason I’ve been drawn towards it so much but yeah the norco always seems like it should be better… But can’t work out why haha! It is edging in the norcos favour at the moment,

My LBS stopped stocking Lapierres because of them snapping all the time (especially the rear triangle) and their warranty service being a bit crap and slow. I personally do like the look of them but it is one thing that has stopped me getting one….lack of money being another!

Normy

Yeah the snapping thing aswell… I did originally look at the spicy , but for my budget , £1800-£2000 , the 316 spec seems very entry level…. Compared to these two anyway

stumpy01

Erm, I know everyone on here hates MBR, but they’ve done a couple of reviews of the Norco Sight and I seem to remember them saying that overall it’s a great bike but the rear end is a bit flexy.

Obviously flexy isn’t the same thing as breaky, but if you are riding it hard it’s something to consider…

Let me go & find the review to confirm I’m not talking out of me ‘arris……

Yeah, they tested the Sight 2 last month (as well as the Zesty & and Five S).

They reckon the Sight is bit flexier is you are heavier rider. It wins the test, but from the sounds of it only just compared to the Zesty.

Normy

There’s pretty much as many pros and cons for and against each it seems… Think I’m gonna just have to go into Evans and see which gives me the best deal and value for money and hope it’s the right bike.

…. Still swaying towards the norco tho… Everyone’s got a zesty!!! 😉

Normy

Plus I only weigh 11 stone so flexi may not be an issue!!!

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

Norco still looks best… 🙂

for that budget buy a s/h spec enduro evo

At 5’9 you’ll be wanting a medium in both bikes. For certain. I’d rather have the Norco, all things being equal.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’d bet tempted to look at the El Guapo £1999 complete on on-ones web site.

cazum

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rocky-mountain/altitude-50-2012-mountain-bike-ec033383

same price as the norco sight 3 SE as i had the same choice after xmas…. but i tried both the norco and the rocky at my local evans and i just felt the rocky was the better bike… but thats a personal opinion. 0% finance from evans too! sorry if i have confused things lol 🙂

mrblobby

Quite like the look of that Norco.

The El Guapo with a CCDB looks a great deal. I spent my cash on a NP Mega, smashing bike.

Normy

Xdpwnhiller…. I know a second hand makes sense, I see them all the time bit HAVNT got the cash and it’d take me ages to save up…. Hence why I need finance

Hmmm I did see the Rocky Mountain in Evans too. Might give it a whirl.

I always feel the medium isaasive tho… I feel more in control on a small.. Easier to chuck round bends

benzi

I like the look of the Commencals they are super cheap too.
    I’m considering one , They dont have that one is small but the one up thers a small.http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9422149

i see mate didnt realise you needed hp je james at sheffeild have an ex-demo enduro in 1999 full bag o spec lyriks,elixir,x0 only a bit of shoe rub on the rear chain stay

Normy

UPDATE!!!

After a lonnnnng think, and pissing my local Evans off even more by trying three bikes out…. I’ve bought the zesty.

The norco did look good and feel very sturdy, but seriously I’m not gonna be jumping off anything that’s gonna brake the zesty and I just went with what felt the best. Gut instinct in the end. Always loved the lapierres. I know I’d regret not getting one so its done now! Comes next week

Normy

Cheers everyone for the help too!

radoggair

glad STW helped. But in good old STW form, here’s an overview of this thread.

OP – stuck for choice, asks STW to choose
    STW chooses Norco
    OP goes for Lapierre
    Thread closed and erm, pointless!!!!

Normy

Lol not really pointless. I don’t have as much knowledge on the bikes as some others on here. As far as I could have known… The norco could have been rubbish and it would have helped that way! They literally are both brilliant bikes…. Was so hard to choose just one. So went with gut feeling in the end.

radoggair

i was using a little hint of sarcasm, main thing is you find your perfect bike for your budget that suits your riding style. Saying that, should of bought a spesh 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I'm stuck… You choose.’ is closed to new replies.