Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • I'm sick of my Passat
  • DezB
    Free Member

The ratings seem to be by cost of repair, not actual reliability.
    Mondeo, 61Kmiles: Time off road – 1.97hrs
    Kia, 26Kmiles: Time off road – 1.2hrs

I know which I’d rather have!

DezB
    Free Member

It’s data from a sample of at least 50 of each model they list
    Don’t really think it matters if you know them or not

Point is – why would you take an extended warranty out? Cos you think you need it.

jota180
    Free Member

Point is – why would you take an extended warranty out? Cos you think you need it.

I took one on my current car because I didn’t want exposure to some big bills
    As its turned out, I’m quids in but like with all insurance – most folks won’t claim

jota180
    Free Member
    fivespot
    Free Member

DezB….may be interested in your Mondeo if my 06 Passat sells. Any chance of popping some pics and details into my email ( in profile ) ta.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now one of the electronic handbrake motors has gone

Stuff me. I didn’t know such a thing existed. Nowt like a complicated solution to a simple problem, is there?

Cougar

Quite. There’s a lot of it about these days, fixing problems that aren’t broken. Start buttons, for instance; is turning a key so difficult?

The auto brake is kinda cool when it works; it’ll come on to stop roll-backs on hill starts and stuff, automatically disengages when you set off, engages when you park, etc.

When it works. Given a choice, I’d rather have a traditional brake lever; it would’ve saved me the embarrassment at being beeped at by a boatload of angry Irishmen.

Scamper
    Free Member

Ian,

Might be worth a look at the last of the mark 3 Mondeo rather than early 4 Mondeo which apparently had one or two faults and i think has inferior steering feel if that’s your cup of tea. The mark 3 is still huge inside.

I’ve just changed mine for a new Passat estate, and VW have certainly upped their game in building a passat which is a bit more fun to drive. Already in for warranty work, mind 🙄

So i’ve got a 54 plate Mondeo petrol to sell, done 145k with new tyres, mot and no problems – lot of car for £700 i’d say

DezB
    Free Member

Start buttons, for instance; is turning a key so difficult?

Yes! I went from a Saab with the key next to the gear lever, to a Mondeo with a push button start. Bliss!

(Still haven’t worked out how you turn the car off after a stall though!)

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice ScottChegg. I will definately have to read the manual in my hire car next time. The handbrake on this car had a mind of its own like; it would release when you didn’t want it to and not release when you did. It was just an observation that every Vauxhall I have driven has been poor at best even to a clot like me.

paul4stones

Seat Exeo?

Thanks for all the advice so far. If only modern cars were as reliable as modern bikes 😉

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

Love my Passat wagon, its just coming up to 265000 miles. It costs me less to run than my bikes 🙁

ransos
    Free Member

Stuff me. I didn’t know such a thing existed. Nowt like a complicated solution to a simple problem, is there?

Quite. We test drove a couple of c-maxes last year – one with the electronic brake, and one without. I just couldn’t see any advantage to the electronic system, it introduces more things to go wrong, and will be more expensive to repair.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it introduces more things to go wrong, and will be more expensive to repair.

quite, just as the car industry want.

watch the “who killed the electric car” documentary – it is pretty clear that the real reason they didn’t like the electric car was that there was very little to service on them – hence why we now have vastly more complicated hybrid systems.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

And for some different balance – Vectra Estate here. 4 years old and coming up for 104,000 miles. Apart from a seized water pump last summer it has been faultless. Mind you, if we hadn’t caught it quickly it could have turned into a bit of an expensive issue. Huge boot. Reasonably economical and comfortable on long drives. Sure, it’s not the most agile or dynamic drive to be had but it doesn’t deserve the rather harsh rap it gets from all and sundry. Looking for a smaller car for Mrs Catastrophe and considering the Focus as she prefers a smaller car.

Have had a couple of Passats in the past as company cars and thought they were ok. Liked them. Not sure I would buy one myself these days as I think they are a bit overpriced for what they are.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘I'm sick of my Passat’ is closed to new replies.