Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I'm not so smug now. Land Rover content.
  • Land Rover defender 110, limited slip diffs, studded tyres, snow chains.
    I laugh at the rif raf in their Chelsea tractors sliding about in the snow.

Went to Countrywide the other day to fill up with LPG at 58ppl on account. Pump out of order.
    Went to FloGas depot yesterday to fill up at 68ppl. Guy warned me they are nearly out and are prioritising cylinders over autogas, so may be out for a while.

Either a long drive to refill elsewhere, if they haven’t run out as well, or petrol at 120+ppl. 🙁

yesiamtom
    Free Member

dont worry – you can fill up with 120ppl petrol this once then return to being smug for the rest of the year with your 58ppl LPG.

djglover
    Free Member

Don’t put yourself down, the first 1/2 of your post is still pretty smug so don’t be too disappointed with yourself if thats possible.

wwaswas

studded tyres, snow chains.

I suspect you wear a belt and braces too.

You think that’s smug ?
    You should see me waving the tow rope out the window as I drive straight past. 😛

iDave
    Free Member

nevermind eh

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Whats the mpg like with gas compared to petrol?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Studded tyres? Illegal in the UK?

I’m getting about 4.5 km per litre.
    Pretty dismal, even for a 3.9 in a 110.
    That’s around 20p per mile on fuel alone.
    Maintenance costs are pretty low and depreciation is virtually nil though, so I don’t know how the overall running costs compare with a normal car.

Studded tyres? Illegal in the UK?

First I’ve heard of that. Link ?

wwaswas, the studs are in permanently, or until I change the tyres again and don’t affect normal driving much.
    The chains are for emergencies only.

woody2000

Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal.

From http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

wwaswas

wot woody cut’n’pasted – as soon as you use studded tyres directly on tarmac you’re in danger of getting a ticket.

lazybike
    Free Member

Shell garage in Semly pl sw1 has got some, you can leave the snow chains off……… sarcasm not quite matching smugness!

I think “inappropriate conditions” is the key phrase here.
    I only put them on a few days ago and I’ll take them off again as soon as I can to save wear.
    They will just about mark smooth concrete. They make no visible marks on tarmac.
    I’ve seen a lot of steel wheeled traction engines leaving scuff marks on the road without getting a ticket.

wwaswas

I’ve seen a lot of steel wheeled traction engines leaving scuff marks on the road without getting a ticket.

You may find that as these were original equipment they’re allowed.

Tracked vehicles aren’t allowed ont eh highway unless they have rubber blocks on their tracks for this reason though.

The rules for tracked vehicles are a little more complex than that.
    I’m sure the words “resilient material” come in to it somewhere.
    All metal tracks on all metal wheels, yer typical bulldozer for example, are a definite no no.
    I think, but I’m not sure, that you can get away with all metal tracks as long as there is a resilient material material between the track and wheels. Usually this will take the form of a rubber tyre on each wheel.
    The rules about damaging the road surface still apply though, so most people using a tank on the road will fit “hush puppy” type tracks, the ones with rubber pads on their surface.

Go to any steam rally and for several days afterwards you will be able to see which way the steam rollers went home.
    Have a look where I have driven my Land Rover and there’s no trace.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So – would it be cheaper to run it on petrol?

wwaswas

a stealth Land Rover.

I’ve never run it long enough on petrol to get a meaningful consumption figure.
    10% worse on LPG is a rough guide though , so with LPG at less than 50% of the cost of petrol, no.

Where I park it is a different matter of course.
    One puddle under the engine, one under the gearbox, and one under each axle.

McHamish
    Free Member

Funnily enough…I searched Google for Fast Show Lets Off Road images, and found this one on STW.

psling
    Free Member

One puddle under the engine, one under the gearbox, and one under each axle.

As all LR owners know, if there’s no fresh oil stain under it then there’s no oil in it 😆

I’m more interested where you got the Limited Slip Diffs from. Bit of a rarity on a LR.

ps44
    Free Member

We’re loving this weather: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12049292
    Shame the Beeboid can’t leave out the usual crap about AGW in what should be a good news story about a major british manufacturer and exporter.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

You should see me waving the tow rope out the window as I drive straight past.

I like to wave my comfortable, air conditioned, nicely music listened, not deaf, 600 miles a tank, oil retaining arse out of the window as i pass landrovers on the roads of britain on the 363 (average) days a year they are perfectly passable to a normal car. 😛

epicyclo

woody2000 – Member

Damage to road, person or vehicle
    If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, …

So that provides for a new thread. “What tyre for legally running over people”

The mind boggles 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

My mate competes in 4×4 off-road trials and his weapon of choice is a V8 Landy.

His road car is a Shogun. Its only a matter of time before the Landy breaks down and you’re towed home by something Japanese. Gotta love that V8 sound though! The throttle doesn’t always stick. 😈

ivantate
    Free Member

i remember seeing that old 90 from the fast show in a council estate just off the stratford road in birmingham when i was trying to find a shortcut.

Saw lpg at 79p in a garage in wakefield yesterday, seemed expensive as we havent had snow for weeks.

cranberry
    Free Member

I like to wave my comfortable, air conditioned, nicely music listened, not deaf, 600 miles a tank, oil retaining arse out of the window as i pass landrovers on the roads of britain on the 363 (average) days a year they are perfectly passable to a normal car.

You have no idea what you are missing. 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Land Rover defender 110, limited slip diffs, studded tyres, snow chains.

Didn’t know Landrovers came with Limited Slip diffs? That’s a new one on me after owning six of them?!

dmiller
    Free Member

Replied in the wrong thread…

julianwilson
    Free Member

goldenwonder, MTQG’s link above ^^ would suggest his LSD’s are aftermarket.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Fair enough, serves me right for not reading the thread properly!
    Just had a quick look, similar to the Quaife ATB’s then? Very nice, didn’t know such a things existed for a LR.
    School day for me then.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

You have no idea what you are missing

having been carted around on and off road in all weathers since i was a baby in every kind of landrover short of a forward control I know exactly what i’m missing.

For the last 3 years the only vehicle able to get to my parents house for at least 2 weeks of the year has been a landy so i’m fully aware of the need for them. It’s just that after the half mile track i far prefer to get into my car 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I'm not so smug now. Land Rover content.’ is closed to new replies.