Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)
  • I'm not a troll but…the bloke on an E-bike at degla today….
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Well, I’ve never ridden or owned any sort of motorbike or moped, so I’ve no idea about them at all.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A moped (category AM) is defined as having a maximum design speed over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not exceeding 45 km/h (28 mph); or a light quadricycle with an unladen weight not more than 350kg and up to 45km/h. It has an engine capacity no greater than 50 cubic centimetres (cc) and can be moved by pedals if it was first used before 1 September 1977.

ie not all mopeds are powered can be moved by pedals

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/information-moped-riders

And to really put the sauce on the horse –

If an electric motorbike is restricted to 15mph, has a motor of 250 watts output or less, and has pedals, it is legally an electric bicycle and can be ridden by anyone aged 14 or over. They require no registration documents, number plates, tax disc or MOT. The rider does not need to be in possession of a licence.

Motorbike
    Electric Motorbike
    Electric Scooter
    Moped
    Pedelec
    E-bike

^ not all the same. Except the last two get used interchangeably. Confusingly.

ymmv depending on country and whether referring to legal definition or just being an ass for the sake of it.

Please stop now? All these terms are easily searchable for legal definition purposes.

Neb

No.
    Only an idiot would describe an e-bike as a motorbike; motorbikes don’t have pedals.

Genuine question… What is a derestricted ebike categorised as? A moped/motorbike?

So an electric bike and an electric moped might actually look identical in every way, the only way of knowing is to examine the installed firmware?

Easy to see why some people think ebikes = motorbikes

nealglover
    Free Member

Genuine question… What is a derestricted ebike categorised as? A moped/motorbike?

Mostly just “illegal”
    (to use anywhere except private land with the landowners permission.)

So an electric bike and an electric moped might actually look identical in every way, the only way of knowing is to examine the installed firmware?

No.
    Derestricted ebikes look like ebikes. But faster.

Electric mopeds look like mopeds, but electric.

Easy to see why some people think ebikes = motorbikes

Not really. No.

sbob
    Free Member

No.

That’s a porky pie isn’t it? 😳

Derestricted ebikes look like ebikes. But faster.

Electric mopeds look like mopeds, but electric.

And what is a derestricted ebike, by your standard of definitions?

Precisely.

You ride an electric moped, get over it man! 🙂

Neb

Not really. No

My point was that it’s very difficult to tell whether an ebike is an ebike. Just because it looks like an ebike doesn’t actually mean it’s legal to ride and the only way of finding out is interrogating the firmware.

Let’s face it, if you’re a knob and recently paid the best part of £5k for an ebike you’re probably going to get it derestricted and probably ride like a knob, much faster than the rest of us.

Which will increase tensions with those we currently share the trails with and affect all of us, whether we ride ebikes or not.

We can’t stop knobs from riding bikes, but we can stop knobs from riding really fast ebikes by banning ebikes.

nealglover
    Free Member

And what is a derestricted ebike, by your standard of definitions?

An ebike that was sold as an ebike and meets the current regulations to be classed as a pedal cycle legally, then someone removes the speed limiter or ups the power, making it illegal to use (apart from private land etc.)

nealglover
    Free Member

Let’s face it, if you’re a knob …etc

And they can also buy non ebikes, and ride it like a loon with no regard for horses, walkers or baby robins.
    All to the same effect as a nob on an ebike.

We can’t stop knobs from riding bikes, but we can stop knobs from riding really fast ebikes by banning ebikes.

You could then realise that’s not solved the problem.
    And think “ok, we’d best ban bikes too”

Great idea.

sbob
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

An ebike that was sold as an ebike and meets the current regulations to be classed as a pedal cycle legally, then someone removes the speed limiter or ups the power, making it illegal to use (apart from private land etc).

Unless you registered/insured it et cetera, then you could use a much simpler definition.

Ride on, e-moped rider. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

somafunk

We can’t selectivly stop knobs from posting utter shite on web forums so we should ban web access for everyone just to make sure

Neb

And they can also buy non ebikes, and ride it like a loon with no regard for horses, walkers or baby robins.
    All to the same effect as a nob on an ebike.

Exactly. But unlikely to be found riding at a busy Degla on a sunny Sunday afternoon like in the OP.

Is it fair to treat every ebiker with suspicion that they are riding a derestricted ebike? When there is no way of actually knowing?

Neb

We can’t selectivly stop knobs from posting utter shite on web forums so we should ban web access for everyone just to make sure

Good call! 😀

greyspoke
    Free Member

Here are some legal definitions for you to get your teeth into. From the Road Traffic Act 1988, s. 185:

(1) In this Act—

“motor cycle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being an invalid carriage, with less than four wheels and the weight of which unladen does not exceed 410 kilograms,

“motor vehicle” means , subject to section 20  of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 (which makes special provision about invalid carriages, within the meaning of that Act), a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads,

That is not the end of it, we also have s. 189

(1) For the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts—
    (a) a mechanically propelled vehicle being an implement for cutting grass which is controlled by a pedestrian and is not capable of being used or adapted for any other purpose,
    (b) any other mechanically propelled vehicle controlled by a pedestrian which may be specified by regulations made by the Secretary of State for the purposes of this section and section 140  of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and
    (c) an electrically assisted pedal cycle of such a class as may be prescribed by regulations so made,
    is to be treated as not being a motor vehicle.

Note the use of “less” in counting wheels, and the important exception for lawnmowers.

nealglover
    Free Member

Unless you registered/insured it et cetera, then you could use a much simpler definition.

It would need type approval too. Not that easy.

Neb

You could then realise that’s not solved the problem.
    And think “ok, we’d best ban bikes too”

Great idea

That’s kinda my point and pretty much my only concern about ebikes.

It’s a fun topic to discuss, I don’t have a huge problem with ebikes other than the ease of derestricting and the potential effect on the other people we share the trails with lumping us all into one group of mountain bikers and trying to get us all banned

nickc

Which will increase tensions with those we currently share the trails with and affect all of us, whether we ride ebikes or not.

the folk who get wound up about having to share trails with people don’t care much what the other folk are doing, all they know is that they don’t like it. If it was space hoppers, they won’t like it, if it’s anything other than the thing they enjoy doing, you’re wrong.

ebikes? they’re just not going into that much detail.

greyspoke
    Free Member

It would need type approval too. Not that easy.

Not type approval, unless you wanted to sell them to the public that way. If you are just modifying it you need to comply with other legal stuff and get an MOT, but type approval is for manufacturers not bodgers.

sbob
    Free Member

One of my customers has an electric moped which falls under the definition of an e-bike.
    Doesn’t ever pedal it and quite rightly doesn’t wear a helmet, winds up loads of people!

With regards to not having to pedal, even one of the e-bike reviews that someone linked to on here mentioned how easy it was to “load up” the pedals and powerslide around corners, so I think not having a separate throttle is a pretty moot difference.

tjagain

guys – don’t feed the trolls

theocb
    Free Member

Wouldn’t access improve once a gazillion people jump on e-bikes? We’ll need more trails, Yes peas and thankyou.

Trail centres didn’t pop up because a few of us were out in the woods, these places appeared because of the mass increase in riders.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not type approval, unless you wanted to sell them to the public that way. If you are just modifying it you need to comply with other legal stuff and get an MOT, but type approval is for manufacturers not bodgers.

No. Type approval can be obtained by anyone.

From The DfT

Type approval can either be obtained by a vehicle manufacturer approving in volume (the UK type approval authority is the Vehicle Certification Agency) or by an individual seeking a Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval, conducted by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

After obtaining Type approval for a derestricted ebike, you would then need to register it, and MOT it, etc etc.

Neb

Wouldn’t access improve once a gazillion people jump on e-bikes? We’ll need more trails, Yes peas and thankyou.

Trail centres didn’t pop up because a few of us were out in the woods, these places appeared because of the mass increase in riders.

That would be great, although we’re not entirely short of places to ride up here… BikeParkLakes!

Good point though, although I think we’d have better chance of expanding legal access without ebikes. We shall see I guess.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Ah thanks for that, it is different for cars etc., where compliance with full type approval requirements isn’t necessary in many situations. I’m not sure that motorcycle single vehicle thingy is exactly the same as type approval for types, as it were, but motorbikes do appear to be dealt with differently. But perhaps full type approval is less onerous for bikes than cars so it doesn’t matter.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks like someone’s (the OP by the look of it) already started a petition

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ban-e-bikes-from-offroad-footpaths-and-cycle-routes

nealglover
    Free Member

“Silent Killers”

lolz.

wilburt
    Free Member

signed

singlespeedstu

OP.
    You just need to tool up better next time.
    May I suggest getting yourself an Alta. 🙂
    The way some people are going on they seem to think that moving a magnet will transform a pushbike into one of these. 😆
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9j5MQuaHnQ[/video]

wilburt
    Free Member

Anything petrol powered looks old now.

stoofus
    Free Member

Looks like someone’s (the OP by the look of it) already started a petition

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ban-e-bikes-from-offroad-footpaths-and-cycle-routes

That wasn’t me.

I wasn’t going to weigh back in, but now a victim of identity fraud, probably by someone who rides an E-bike (JOKING), perhaps I should.

I don’t have massive trouble with e-bikes.

That particular rider, who was on an e-bike, I do have an issue with. He was rude and obtuse. The path was easily wide enough for four bikes, yet to ring a bell and shout move, has nothing to do with the status of your bike being electric or not, but everything to do with being a tosser.

I would never purposefully block another rider but when the bike is travelling so fast it could cause an accident, time must be given for the rider to move over and when they do they should be polite about it.

What I love about mountain biking is the camaraderie. Last time I was at degla, my mate had 5 pincg flats, I got a bollocking of the Mrs cause we were so late back. Everytime we stopped, when we were squeezing the last of the vulcanising solution on to the already punctured inner tube, everyone who went past asked if we needed a hand or tools. That’s my sport, the sport I wake up for at unknown hours for, the sport I have arguments with my wife for and the sport that turns my kitchen table into a work bench.

Yet, when someone comes flying past me at 25mph and shouts move at my mate, I don’t see that camaraderie.

I’m sure that there are decent e-bike riders, not everyone should be tarnished by the same brush. There will be those that would stop and those that would help but perhaps it’s because your speed removes you from the trials and tribulations of riding.

Ride your e-bike but remember what it’s like to ride. If you haven’t ridden, get out and ride on the type of bike that makes mountain bike riding what it is. Then go back on your e-bike and continue to make the sport great.

fooman

I AM a troll, so I came up with this thread summary that should offend just about everyone.

bigyim
    Free Member

Fooman wins the Internet today.
    And I signed the petition

somafunk

Fooman is the new “jamie

aracer
    Free Member

And those ones, are no longer legally classed as pedal cycles.
    [/quote]

Try again, you’ll get it

DezB
    Free Member

And I signed the petition

You signed that? 😆 😆 😆

(nice work DTF!)

nealglover
    Free Member

nealglover »
    …….and also for those sold after that if they’ve gone through type approval.

And those ones, are no longer legally classed as pedal cycles.
    Try again, you’ll get it

Are you talking about the 3.5mph “start assis throttlet” thing, that’s still allowed ?

Or are you saying that twist and go is still allowed up to 15.5mph ?

Denis99
    Free Member

I had an ebike, I don’t anymore, that’s another story though.

Nothing against people riding ebikes, riding an ebike doesn’t mean you are reckless and rude, that can apply to a lot of people who ride almost anything.

Anyhow, on a serious note, how would you ban them?
    How could this be enforced and policed?

We are having trouble with Moto crossers ripping up some parts of Afan trails at the moment, a much bigger problem than that of any ebikes.

The police budget has gone for patrolling the trails to catch these Moto crossers, and you can easily identify them , just the sound tells you what they are about.

Becoming more difficult to even tell if a mtb is an ebike or not these days.

Banning them won’t work. Will just create negative impact, far better to have a campaign to ride responsibly for those that need it. But even that won’t work for some…….

Banning anything never seems to do much good, education and understanding seems to do much better.

aracer
    Free Member

The latter.

Lester
    Free Member

i rode my mega last night 15 miles off road, quickest ive been for ages. im fitter and getting more mobile from my shoulder op. i absolutely loved it, i probably take my ebike 1 in 4 times its a different type of riding and i love it too, as i do my 29er.
    nobs on bikes = nob full stop, nothing to do with the bike

martinhutch

nice work DTF!

Exactly! Almost a return to form. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘I'm not a troll but…the bloke on an E-bike at degla today….’ is closed to new replies.