Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 240 total)
  • I'm not a troll but…the bloke on an E-bike at degla today….
  • bigyim
    Free Member

I’d imagine degla on a Sunday with the sun out would be empty too.

The whole ebike thing sums up the modern UK. No one wants to wait for anything when they can have it now.
    Why wait to cook a meal when you can microwave it.
    Why wait to learn when you can Google it.
    Why wait to get fit when you can buy an ebike.

Every one wants the instant gratification and then to pat themselves on the back when they think they have achieved something

aracer
    Free Member

You’re going to have to explain the difference to me…

somafunk

Fair enough but please up your game, we expect amusing trolls not tired old prejudices. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

big yim –
    Dez b, how’s he ever going to ride hard trails on a normal bike if all he is going to ride is an ebike? Serious question.
    How will he ever get fitter if he’s not doing exercise?

Serious answer, although it is a pretty silly question. I finished the ride breathing heavily, sweating (and smiling, though obviously enjoyment is not relevant to proceedings, m’lud). It was definitely exercise, especially on the E-DHBike! They were demo bikes. My son has a very nice normal bike that he rides to school every single day. He does loads of bleedin exerise, but we were having some fun tagevva. It was great.

tjagain

aracer – Member

tjagain » Not really the same aracer is it?

You’re going to have to explain the difference to me… [/quote]

Really? Plenty of room to pass, not vans, relative speeds and weights similar and clearly there ws room to pass if the rider in front co operated

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Surely taking a segway to a fun run is the same as using an ebike ?

steveirwin
    Free Member

EAPC requirements

The requirements are:

-the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it
    -the electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
    -the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 250 watts

It must also display one item from each of the following:

the power output or manufacturer of the motor
    the battery’s voltage or maximum speed of the bike

No I’ve never ridden one before but there’s nothing to say that the bike cannot be propelled without having to turn the cranks.
    Pedals must be fitted, yes, “pedals can be used to propel it”, appears to be an option. Why is the word “must” instead of “can” not used?
    Too ambiguous.

DezB
    Free Member

Surely taking a segway to a fun run is the same as using an ebike ?

Dunno, those Segways look shit.

nairnster
    Free Member

The big clue may be in the name though. Electric assisted pedal cycles.

That in itself implies the motor is used to assist and not power by itself.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Was on a jump course with a septagenarian e-biker today. He was psyk to the powa of schralp. Seriously. Seriously, seriously.

DezB
    Free Member

there’s nothing to say that the bike cannot be propelled without having to turn the cranks.

The one I rode could: I used my body weight on the singletrack (with the electric assist switched “Off”.) Weight of the bike meant it accelerated amazingly well.

tjagain

steve irwin – I was surprised at that myself in that link ‘cos the fuller regs make it clear that the pedals have to be turning for the motor to work and all I have ridden work like this

aracer
    Free Member

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-guides/uk-electric-bike-law/ – apparently throttle control is legal for bike sold before January 2016 – and also for those sold after that date provided they’ve gone through type approval.

aracer
    Free Member

Oi!

sc-xc

But still no one can point out why the **** it matters if someone is riding one. It makes no difference.

Unless you are very, very insecure.

frankconway

Some people are (k)*obs irrespective of where they are or what they’re doing.
    Consideration or good manners – call it what you like – costs sweet truck all; there are too many who don’t understand that.
    Entitled or ignorant peasants or something different?

burko73

met some guy riding a full suss specialized s works bike in the new forest the other day. His wife had one as well. nice chap but I don’t get it, seemed a bit over-biked both suss wise and e boost wise.

He said he’d had it derestricted so it did 30mph. illegal I guess.

When I met him he was just contemplating riding up a steep mound. “just because he could and it was easy”

I sort of get it but I sort of don’t. The Segway/ fun run analogy is a good one.

It’s the same thing as buying a dog then getting someone round to walk it each day whilst you’re at work to save you doing it when you get home!

Yak

DezB – aha, think you and your lad passed me and my lad on the blue switchback climb today. We were the pair in front of the solo bloke you passed. Looked like you were enjoying the demo bikes. I was in the park on both days – never seen it busier. I reckon e-bikes were the most popular demo by far, certainly from my view on the trails.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So are the e bikers going to pay for random restriction/power tests at trail centres?

seosamh77
    Free Member

big yim – Member
    Dez b, how’s he ever going to ride hard trails on a normal bike if all he is going to ride is an ebike? Serious question.
    How will he ever get fitter if he’s not doing exercise?

you can quite easily knacker yourself just as quick as on a normal bike. Same effort can take ye much further. Pure throttle wouldn’t last too long, particularly uphill

Anyhow I’m with Binners serves ye right for going to a trail centre! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyhow I’m with Binners serves ye right for going to a trail centre!

Though it does seem to be a lot of idiots all over, and thenakfully the more miserable and sanctimoniuos ones do avoid trail centres 😉

I do like the “limited to…” lot, most of the early threads were about removing restrictors, upping motors etc. hopefully modern manufactures are better at fitting the restrictors etc. to avoid further problem.

Nothing against them in the right place, makes a huge difference to the commuters around here as it’s a hilly area.

Lester
    Free Member

i have an ebike, and i also have a codeine 29er, a mega am 650b and a full suss fat bike. im 65 and dont need to ride the ebike.i do approx 100 miles a week, not a lot i know. approx 30 miles is done on the ebike, so i am “earning” my e bike miles. i ride with some blokes a lot fitter, younger, and skilled than me on a tuesday and a thursday. i take the e bike on one of the nights, the more technical night, this allows me to ride WITH them and not behind, i cannot keep up otherwise. the e bike is great fun and is fun, and so are the other bikes. i did the tour de mt blanc on a mega, e are possibly doing it again soon, it wont be on the ebike. we are going to the peaks, that will be on a 29er, i am going to the lake district on my own, that will be on an ebike with a beeline, i will do twice as many miles and have twice as much fun. im not a bellend, and dont pass anyone on my ebike, i stay at the back like i usually am, but 2 yards behind, not a hundred yards behind.
    bellends are bellends, which i would say most e bike haters are unless they have ridden one, then their comment counts, before then, to me, it doesnt.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m not sure doing something to confirm its a bad idea would stand up in court m’lud.

Perhaps we need a some kind of blue badge for disabled and infirm riders as most people are ok with them using powered bikes.

Alphabet

Lester +1

piemonster

You know most people ride for fun, not fitness?

I don’t actually think this is true. Maybe at trail centres but not overall. Anyway, the ebiker sounds like a knob, but then, we’ve only one side of the story.

And I’m in the motor assisted bicycle camp so long as they’re legal. Which a quick browse of ebike social media says a significant number are not.

birdage

I was trying out a Haibike Enduro or something at work and never appreciated that when the assist mode cut out at 15.5 and you instinctively put more effort in you can get an EAPC up to 26 mph up hill very easily….

chevychase

I don’t think anyone has a problem with the less physically able / our octogenarian friends using ebikes. They’re fantastic for them.

The problem comes when the younger and physically capable are attracted to them. They want the deregulated speed and that can exacerbate the inner hooligan.

The reason mountain bikers are, on the whole, nice to each other is because of the shared experience. They share the suffering of the climbs and understand what that’s like. Ebikes don’t stop that, but they do put one step of remove from that – and that’s where the (small) problem lies.

I can see no answer. Ebikes, despite having perfectly legitimate uses, are always going to be more attractive to the hooligan mob than sweating and panting up long climbs – and there’s bugger all that we can do about it.

The plus side is that the hooligan mob congregate at trail centres. The lazy-minded are less likely to be seeking out sweet sweet singletrack with ordinance survey maps (they probably can’t read them anyway) so you know the answer – avoid the trailcentres on busy weekends 😉

milkyman
    Free Member

I was at degla a few weeks ago, and met up by chance with a few guys who had e bikes, I was also on an ebike, mine hasn’t been messed with and cuts out at 15 mph, there’s had been messed with and could go as fast as the gearing would let them, I didn’t ride very long with them, the speed they went up the 3 mile hill was just to fast for what I thought to be safe or sensible, they were going past other riders far to quick for my liking, they seemed an ok bunch but to ride de restricted e bikes at a trail ctr is not on

chevychase

Yep. The temptation to derestrict (and therefore create unsafe situations) is massively tantalising and that’s the worry. We don’t need more idiots being attracted to our chosen sport.

There are, of course, nice and sensible ebike users. But the attraction they hold for idiots is huge.

But there’s no solution. You can’t put the rabbit back in the hat – and if you could you’d ruin things for legitimate / sensible users.

DezB
    Free Member

Yak –
    DezB – aha, think you and your lad passed me and my lad on the blue switchback climb today. We were the pair in front of the solo bloke you passed. Looked like you were enjoying the demo bikes. I was in the park on both days – never seen it busier. I reckon e-bikes were the most popular demo by far, certainly from my view on the trails.

Oh yes! Cool, I bet we were polite and/or friendly 😀 (Actually, I think I said thanks to you, but not your son? Tell him thanks!)
    Was great for the park – amazing weather for the 2 days. The final berms on the red have been hammered though. Crumbling away!

As for the popularity of eBike demos – yep, not something I’d contemplate buying (unless I had a spare £6K to buy me and DezB Jr one each), but to have a free go on them for a few hours was ideal.

tjagain

The answer to folk destricting e bikes lies with regulation and manufacterers / retailers. Just make them hard to derestrict. Overall tho this is not really an issue I don’t think.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’ve not de-restricted my Levo and I don’t think I will, it gets faster the fitter I get. Plus I wouldn’t want to void the warranty by de-restricting it. I think it’s quick enough already. I haven’t been to any trail centres yet (I will) but hacking round the local woods is an absolute blast plus I’m still getting a good workout.
    Anyway the op, yes he sounded like a bell end, he’d be the same on an old fashioned pedal bike, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Mackem

Perhaps if he went below a certain speed his bike exploded?

aracer
    Free Member

Easier said than done. You can hack pretty much anything and I doubt security against such hacking is high on the priority list for e-bike builders.

JackHammer

‘degla is full of nobbers, unfortunately this one also had an e-bike. Probably drives a hybrid too.

tjagain

aracer – you could make it more tricky tho and some retailers encourage it and will tell you how to do it.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Google mostly tells you how to do it tj

milkyman
    Free Member

move the magnet on mine, its that easy 5 min job tops

andylc
    Free Member

Maybe E bikes at trail centres should be like dogs being allowed into places – only allowed if you can show you have a valid medical reason….

cooie

I wonder if it was the same bellend at a recent ebike demo I went to with some mates!! He was generally being a dick the whole time. He pushed past us on the trail shouting ‘I’m on an ebike’, as if somehow that made it ok. You can still slow down! Pillock.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘I'm not a troll but…the bloke on an E-bike at degla today….’ is closed to new replies.