• This topic has 201 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by los.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)
  • I'm more middle class than you because…
  • lunge

wwaswas, warton, I fear I may be the definition of the STW middle class.

wwaswas

does the fact that my wife will be a deputy head from the start of next term make me more or less ‘stw middle class’?

althepal

I use “yah” instead of “yes”..
    Actually I don’t, when I was at uni in Edinburgh I used to hate the “yahs”!

lunge

wwaswas, more, without doubt, a move into upper management is a very middle class goal. My other half is the head of science at a primary, it was a proud moment when that was announced.

I’m also a season ticket holder at a rugby club if that helps reinforce my position.

TheFlyingOx

when I was at uni in Edinburgh

winner!

darrell
    Free Member

My darling wife insists we drink pink champagne on Weds….

oh oh oh oh look its Weds

😀

emsz
    Free Member

I’m in college studying textiles and material technology, my gf essentially does hard sums at Oxford Uni, she has a c card that’s her dad’s. 😳 BTW she grew up in and they still live in a 6 bedroom house, even though she’s an only child. I’m not the first of my family to go to college.

😆

d45yth
    Free Member

I can’t stand folk who think they’re posh and aren’t well off…i.e. most of the middle-class! Especially ones who talk about nothing but their career, mortgages or which school their kids go to! I refuse to grow up and don’t concern myself with such boring subjects.

Rewski – I stopped eating pain au chocolat’s when ‘someone’ told me you can buy them in Greggs…the shock, the horror!

sugdenr
    Free Member

get out the bath to take a dump.

…you only get out for a dump? Then I fear that you are not a gentleman sir, for a gentleman doesn’t pee in his own bathing water.

MrSmith
    Free Member

why do people associate class with money and the appreciation of nice things with class?

iDave
    Free Member

i’m sending this using a mont blanc stylus on my iPad2

MrSmith
    Free Member

My darling wife insists we drink pink champagne on Weds….

oh oh oh oh look its Weds

that makes you a social climbing chav.

🙄

LHS
    Free Member

My name is pronouned L haitch S not aitch!

kimbers

at glasto a few years back one of our posse turned up with a big tescos multipack of pain aux chocolat( which he insisted on calling choc-o-pans)

he was sharing a teeny tent with another guy and theyd way underestimated just how big this tent was for 2 people

it was very funny listening to them go to bed as theyd innevitably fall over each other wasted, kept us entertained
    (edit they were both very blonde and got painfully sunburnt on the first day)

anyway after 4 days of this tempers were frayed, hangovers in full effect , and as a (stale) choc-o-pan was offered my other mate just blew up screaming, “theyre called pain-aux-chocolat you **** retard”and threatening to punch him until we had stopped lauging long enough to seperate them

is that middle class, i did say ‘glasto’

totalshell

i m considering with holding my labour for a day to show my frutration at my 50k pa pension been reduced so poor people can have a bit more

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh!

I’m potto scum off a council estate in the East End of That London. 😀

I have been educated at public school and university. I am number lawyers, doctors, teachers, artists, company directors and university professors amongst my friends. I enjoy the arts, classical music, architecture and shop at Waitrose. I have dined with High Court Judges and have slept with aristocracy.

I’m still potto scum off a council estate! 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

have slept with aristocracy.

I must have been rilly, rilly, rilly, rilly rilly, RILLY DRUNK for that to have happened.. 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mrlebowski, earlier:

mrlebowski
    Free Member

When Ive finished this blue cake elf you’re for it..

flow
    Free Member

I now have kashima at both ends

Tiger6791
    scuttler

I can spot all other kids that are wearing Boden when I’m in the cafe at a National Trust place.

nickf
    Free Member

BTW she grew up in and they still live in a 6 bedroom house, even though she’s an only child

2 kids, 7 bedrooms. 3 other houses.
    Drive a Land Rover
    Own a Barbour
    Degree, professional qualifications, company director
    My son’s middle name is Maximilian.
    52% tax rate
    Ride a steel hardtail singlespeed

BUT

Come from Newcastle, have never voted Tory
    From a mining family
    Grew up in not-so-genteel poverty
    Self and siblings the first of our (very extended) family to go to university
    No interest in keeping up with the Jones’
    Can’t stand conformism
    Would rather stick pins in my arm than go to a dinner party
    Loathe opera, experimental theatre and ballet
    Would quite happily close down Radio 3 tomorrow, sooner if possible

Middle-class? Depends who’s defining, I suppose

PePPeR

Wife’s a teacher, check.
    Have a second house in France, check
    Work all over Europe for an American company, check
    Have niche single speed, check
    Own more than two suits and two watches, check.

Must be middle class, although I never feel like it’s that and fifteen years ago I was a single parent on income support earning nothing, as was my current Mrs Pepper. We work very hard to improve our lives for our family and ourselves.

Is there anything wrong with trying to improve our lot?

Tiger6791

Posting on here about how middle class you are is just a bit chavvy and an instant fail.

yossarian
    Free Member

Elfinsafety=social climber of the WORST kind 🙂

You’ll never be one of us, that’s you on the end

maccruiskeen

I take my fish and chips home (not cod nat.) and put balsamic vinegar on them.

Not just me then. it is good isn’t it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The aspect of this that really amuses me is the people who claim to be working class still despite being so obviously not – from their job to their spending habits.

My grandmother was sold into service at 14 every one of her ancestors was an illiterate Shropshire peasant. My dad was so poor that he went hungry many times

Me – I’m as middle class as they come

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

…my tailor just rang….

Very excited, new lightweight suit is ready! For wearing in the tropics, donchaknow.

PePPeR

That’s it, flash, tj and elfin are all on the thread, next three pages will be all about who’s less middle class or not than the others 😉

maccruiskeen

My grandmother was sold into service at 14 every one of her ancestors was an illiterate Shropshire peasant. My dad was so poor that he went hungry many times

Thats what everybody’s past is like – because thats what the past was like. We’re a very much richer nation than when our grandparents were young.

CaptJon
    Free Member

…because 90% of my wardrobe is from either Howies or John Lewis.

…because i get my fish and chips delivered.

Sue_W
    Free Member

… because I hang out on mountain bike forums

… and start discussions about wimmin’s rights

… and I flounce with the best of them* 😉

* but no flounce can be as good as SurfMat’s

althepal

Ox, if it makes you feel any better I grew upon the east end of Glasgow.. G32. The postcode with the lowest life expectancy in Britain apparently!
    One reason why I enjoyed living in Edinburgh so much! Can still remember the look of distain when a posh Edinburger type chap called me a weej!

maccruiskeen

Then I fear that you are not a gentleman sir, for a gentleman doesn’t pee in his own bathing water.

Who’s bath water should one pee in then? – Hurry up I’m bursting!

wors

i’m posting this on a mobile device whilst having a shwank.

toab
    Free Member

I buy all my fresh food from the local, consumer owned organic co-operative and rarely buy anything grown outside the UK (except bananas – I just have to have bananas).

I go to a coffee shop where I simply say “a [country of origin of beans]” and they know exactly what I want.

I live above a Steiner Kindergarten.

My parents run a second hand bookshop in an attractive Cotswold market town.

…. I’m starting to think it’ time I got run over by an Audi – I hope I’m not really that irritating.

matthewjb
    Free Member

pain aux chocolat( which he insisted on calling choc-o-pans)

Choc-o-pans is a great name. Must use that from now on.

TandemJeremy – Member

My grandmother was sold into service at 14

One of my Great Great Uncles was sent to Australia for stealing. Do I win?

crikey
    Free Member

I think the ability to wear corduroy is a reasonably accurate signal of middle classness.

I thought I was quite middle class until I returned to Mountain Biking about 10 years ago and was offered lip balm on my first group ride.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

… because I hang out on mountain bike forums

… and start discussions about wimmin’s rights

… and I flounce with the best of them*

Yay! Welcome back Sue! 🙂

Forum’s a better place with you.

Besides, you’re proper classy, innit? 😉 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘I'm more middle class than you because…’ is closed to new replies.