Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I’m looking for GPX trails around Herts/Bucks
  • cloud9
    Free Member

Are there any good sites with free to download trails for this area? I am really keen to go and discover

scotroutes

I am really keen to go and discover

Not trying to be a fanny, but if you want to “go and discover” then get an OS map of the area and do just that. Simply downloading a few GPX files means you’re just following other folks ideas and discoveries.

cloud9
    Free Member

That’s ok I am happy to follow gpx routes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bassmandan

Don’t have any GPX routes but I ride around Ashridge/ Ivinghoe a bit and there are some nice trails in the woods around coordinates (51.8231776, -0.5984682). Bit pants if it’s been raining a lot though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Having grown up in Herts,I can confirm that following trails on the OS map is a largely frustrating experience.

My recommendation would be to meet people to show you round, but that may be tricky at the mo.

gridnik
    Free Member

Have you tried Komoot?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’m relatively local, just over the border in Bedfordshire but lived in Herts and ride around that way.
    Not sure if they still exist but there was a group OTT mtb that used to do a Sunday morning ride from Harpenden.
    If you check their website I think they show some of their routes.
    I used to ride a lots around the Ayots, Kimpton, Wheathampstead area.
    Then there’s Ashridge to explore to.

ampthill

If you Google there is a club with routes online. If you look on my Strava you’ll find some.

But

In both cases they will be routes that work best in the dry

At the moment it will be almost impossible to find viable routes as gpx files

I will check back in case anyone has some

Might worth driving up to Woburn and or Rushmere

https://www.strava.com/athletes/john_clinch

allanoleary
    Free Member

If you use Trailforks then Woburn trails are all on there and updated regularly as they finish maintenance on the trails.

jairaj

Ashridge will have lots of sections that are very muddy and boggy at the mo and I’m not sure I’d recommend it … but later on spring and summer when it dries out it will be much more fun.

It’s not unrideable by any means but for me it’s not that much fun at the moment. There are large sections of flat, twisty, rooty single track thats great fun with a bit of speed. But in current conditions its very hard work keeping momentum with the soft ground sapping your speed all the time.

Woburn and Rushmere cope much better in the winter and have waymarkerd trails if you are able to get over to that way.

andrewreay

Ashridge will have lots of sections that are very muddy and boggy

Too right! Not a lot of fun, and following a gpx anywhere around there is likely to run into pretty miserable slog fests.

Likewise, the Bucks part of the Chilterns – Wendover has some pretty grim sections just now.

For later in the year, try Komoot or sign up to Viewranger.com for some gpx routes. Otherwise, plan short rides and take a bike with some decent tyre clearance.

Dickyboy

Likewise, the Bucks part of the Chilterns – Wendover has some pretty grim sections just now.

+1 Even the walking routes especially around wendover woods have been trashed/grown into muddy motorways of late ☹️

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I’m looking for GPX trails around Herts/Bucks’ is closed to new replies.