• This topic has 39 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by richc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • I'm going to the zoo today.
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Wish me luck.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Well, we’re all going to the zoo tomorrow.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

We’re gonna stay all day!

vinnyeh

With or without the kids? 🙂

ton

zoo fighters of the world unite….. 8)

GrahamS

zoo fighters of the world unite….

I would but I’ve broken my zucking leg.

scotroutes

Zoo tomorrow, zoo tomorrow.

Solo
    Free Member

Going to the Zoo?

I’d say you’ve just arrived.
    😉

stevie750

Edinburgh?

It’s a brilliant zoo, definitely an all dayer. Are you booked for the pandas

Take a picnic, the food is awful

aracer
    Free Member

I think it’s all the other people going to the zoo today who we need to wish luck to!

jon1973
    Free Member

Are you booked for the pandas

Depends whether you like bamboo.

dooosuk
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

BigDummy » Well, we’re all going to the zoo tomorrow.

Zoo tomorrow, zoo tomorrow.[/quote]

Thanks. Now got that going around in my head! 🙂

matt_outandabout

theotherjonv

when i went all they had was one dog.

IGMC

zippykona

Animal prison.

wrecker
    Free Member

A good zoo is hard to beat. A bad zoo is as depressing as it gets. I remember the polar bear at bristol zoo. Heartbreaking 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m also going to the zoo today, but as an adult I feel quite safe 🙂

IdleJon

Edinburgh?

It’s a brilliant zoo, definitely an all dayer. Are you booked for the pandas

I like a good zoo, but didn’t like Edinburgh. Some of the animals are kept in very unsuitable compounds.

angeldust
    Free Member

If a toddler falls over in front of you, think twice about helping him/her up.

Unless you like bouncing off things.

MrNice
    Free Member

@theotherjonv – was it a particularly small and lonely looking handbag dog by any chance?

richc
    Free Member

I went to Noah’s Ark zoo outside Bristol last week and it was really really good very impressed, animals were in huge enclosures and all looked in great nick; was amused at parents explaining away the elephant sex show that was being put on for them 🙂

Cougar

was amused at parents explaining away the elephant sex show that was being put on for them

Heh, we had that a few years ago on holiday in Florida, with the giant turtles. Absolutely hysterical, we were crying laughing.

MoreCashThanDash

We went to Edinburgh zoo last year – the baboons were engaging in some wild monkey sex.

Went to Twycross earlier this week. Some of the monkeys were wearing hard hats and harnesses ffs. Though to be fair, they were removing the d netting with Stanley knives. Amazing what they’ll do for a cup of PG.

DezB
    Free Member

was amused at parents explaining away the elephant sex show

I saw the rhinos at Marwell at it many years ago. Unforgettable. She kept walking away til finally he did his business over her back. 😆

Mating season at Marwell is superb. “Why has that tapir got 5 legs?”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you spank the monkey?

zippykona

At junior school you had to say what you did at the weekend.
    We went camping and saw cows giving each other piggy backs.

ransos
    Free Member

I went to Noah’s Ark zoo outside Bristol last week and it was really really good very impressed, animals were in huge enclosures and all looked in great nick; was amused at parents explaining away the elephant sex show that was being put on for them

I was less than impressed with the creationist bullshine that was on prominent display. “50 reasons why apes are not related to humans” was a particular classic.

I shan’t be taking my kids there.

GrahamS

All reproducing organisms, plant and animal, have a genetic code which controls their growth and development. Since the complexity of this information exceeds that of the most sophisticated computer programs, it seems obvious that the information must have originated in a supremely powerful intelligence. Inanimate matter is incapable of producing information.

Animals have the ability to move voluntarily: they have life in a sense in which plants do not have life. Because life in the sense of consciousness is not a property of matter, the existence of animals requires a life-giver as well as an intelligent programmer. The normal word for such a being is ‘God’.

Surely there wasn’t enough room for every kind of animal?

Genesis states that Noah took on board a male and a female of every ‘kind’ of land animal – in some cases seven pairs – and enough food for them. Since today there are millions of species, how could the ark have carried so many?

The answer depends on how many fundamentally different ‘kinds’ of animal existed in the beginning. Since animals evolved enormously after the cataclysm, the number of original kinds would have been small. To arrive at an estimate, we need to trace the evolutionary family trees found in the fossil record back to their original ancestors.

Through ongoing research, a current estimate proposes that all mammals, living and extinct, can be grouped into fewer than 50 original kinds. As we are still getting to grips with the amazing capacity of species to change form as they diversify and evolve, the actual number is likely to have been even smaller. Similarly there may have been fewer than 20 original kinds of bird and 20 kinds of reptile.

http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/pages/about-us/earth-history/earth-history/

Yeah… not somewhere I’d be rushing to with my kids either. 😯

aracer
    Free Member

Wow, so they’re actually acknowledging evolution and using it to explain the ark, yet still refusing to carry the argument to its logical conclusion? Oh and despite all that evolution to create millions of species, humans were a constant.

ransos
    Free Member

Wow, so they’re actually acknowledging evolution and using it to explain the ark, yet still refusing to carry the argument to its logical conclusion? Oh and despite all that evolution to create millions of species, humans were a constant.

Q. Why do birds sing?
    A. To give praise to their maker.

I wish I was joking…

GrahamS

Yeah they believe in evolution, but say the timescales are all wrong because science doesn’t understand radioactive decay properly.
    They have a “sister site” that explains it all clearly.

Creation and evolution: another view

DezB
    Free Member

Well, they’ve convinced me. I now BELIEVE!
    😥

GrahamS

I’ve always wondered where Noah put all the fish and marine animals to stop them drowning. Perhaps they could explain it for me?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Incident free trip to the zoo complete.

aracer
    Free Member

Phew. I bet all the people who like to help upset toddlers are relieved.

IdleJon

Thanks for the heads up about Noahs Ark Zoo. I had no idea it was a creationist thing. My wife has been nagging to go there – we won’t.

I wonder if the people who run it know the the ark/flood story predates their religion by a long, long time?

Harry_the_Spider

We saw otters performing oral sex on each other at Blackpool Zoo. Sometimes you just have to say nothing and walk away.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wrecker there is a heartwarming story about the Polar Bear at Bristol Zoo. He was rescued from a circus and his cage at the circus only allowed him to pace one step back one step forward. It was learnt behavior and associated with stress. When the Zoo was open and there was noise and people around he woul go back to his stress response. When the zoo was closed he would swim and play with his big plastic barrels. It was amazing to see.

I made a film about reptiles at the zoo and we had access at night. Would watch him playing most evenings.

GrahamS

I wonder if the people who run it know the the ark/flood story predates their religion by a long, long time?

Well they discuss Mesopotamian flood in Gilgamesh and acknowledge that “more than 200 flood legends have been recorded, and they occur on every inhabited continent” but that just seems to be further evidence that it’s all true.

http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/pages/about-us/earth-history/was-it-a-true-story/

richc
    Free Member

The creationist stuff is one reason why I hadn’t gone before and avoided it in the past as whilst I don’t have a problem with anyone’s beliefs I do have a problem with it being rammed down my throat. However I know a lot of people who had been and were (very) surprised when I mentioned the creationist thing as they never noticed any signs or got the feeling it was that kind of place, and just enjoyed what it has to offer.

So in my personal experience from walking around the huge site I only saw one small discrete sign talking about religion which was by the entrance booth where it talked about the history of the site and the family that owns it and it had one short paragraph that was very preachy. I didn’t see anything else driving a creationist agenda. I didn’t however go into the small barn section, so it may have been in there.

Overall I came away with a really positive feeling about the place, the animals look healthy and happy, the giraffe enclosure is very good as you are at head height and can see the 3 adults and 2 young feeding without a worry in the world when they are ~ 5 or 6 feet way stripping bark off branches, its got a really good atmosphere, tons of very good adventure playgrounds (zip lines, spiral slides, cargo net climbing areas, ladders, climbing walls etc) loads of picnic benches everywhere and friendly staff. I feel bad saying it, but everyone I was with preferred it to Bristol Zoo…

If you have kids who like big mammals and adventure playgrounds and can cope with one small A5 size sign where you pay which has a ‘god’ message its worth a look. There may be more signs about the site but I didn’t notice them and I was looking, just not everywhere. It’s not cheap though, but the cash seems to be being spent on enclosures and the animals, as I can’t imagine its cheap running the place or looking after Tigers/Lions/Rhinos/Elephants/Giraffes/Bison etc.

I was less than impressed with the creationist bullshine that was on prominent display. “50 reasons why apes are not related to humans” was a particular classic.

Out of interest where was this sign, as I didn’t see it when I was there on Saturday

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to the zoo today.’ is closed to new replies.