Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • I'm going to ride my bike in the snow…..
  • geoffj

….I may be some time 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

My wrist is splinted through riding in the snow. Snow rocks. It’s what lies beneath…

elzorillo
    Free Member

Did it the other day.. ice on the puddles was thick enough for the leading riders to ride over.. unfortunately I was at the back behind a fatty who smashed every single one.. I was wet through and freezing.. Teach me not to bring up the rear. 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Been on 4 night rides this year so far in the snow, it’s ace 🙂

Pot luck whether the ground underneath is frozen or mud though, makes cornering interesting!

IHN

I did it yesterday morning. Sunrise snowy ride, most refreshing 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Been out on three snow rides this week. I know that because; ride one cut face, ride two cut and bruised arm and ride three hurted knee (icy road)

ads678

I went for a snow ride last night, it was great. Got fish n chips on the way home which was great too!!

blisterman1962
    Free Member

All the fun of riding in snow can be replicated all year round by travelling to a nice sandy beach and riding along that.

As you may have guessed, I dont get it. 😕

gazerath
    Free Member

Was considering going out today but then I want to do a charity ride this weekend and thought perhaps, at the risk of sounding old, that a few hours fun with the chance of injury isn’t the best decision.

I did weights instead.

dabble
    Free Member

You lucky bar starred! T-minus 3 hours remaining at the workshop then a night ride in the snow for me, i love a bit of drifting.

wl
    Free Member

Tough riding but great fun in West Yorkshire yesterday…

[/url]
    Shackleton by Will Lake, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    Gorple by Will Lake, on Flickr[/img]

FOG

Went out yesterday for what is normally a 2hr ride, took nearer 3 but returned very happy! Only real problem was having to pedal very briskly to go down hill.

composite
    Free Member

I had been hoping all year for snow this winter, as I wanted to make a new snow riding video. Then I brake a rib the week before it snows. 😐

yunki
    Free Member

😀

mechmonkey
    Free Member

I love riding in the snow, found a corner the other day of compacted snow and tried to learn to drift out the back wheel. Great fun! Sore arse, elbow and knee now though 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

I don’t get what’s so good about riding in the snow,nor night riding tbh….Don’t get me wrong I still do both,just don’t see why so many people think they’re both so great….

chiefgrooveguru

Last night in the soft South:

Burchy1
    Free Member

Yunki – Where abouts on the moor is that? Is it looking up towards Haytor?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I don’t get what’s so good about riding in the snow,nor night riding tbh….Don’t get me wrong I still do both,just don’t see why so many people think they’re both so great….

cos they are…

emac65
    Free Member

Oh well that explains it then,silly me……. 🙄

wl
    Free Member

I don’t night ride, but there’s something mint about riding in snow – familiar landscapes looks different and amazing, and it helps hone certain skills too.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t get what’s so good about riding in the snow

Cos it’s different innit!

New challenges with constantly changing grip to keep you on your toes. A fresh, clean, crisp and sound deadened environment where regular views you don’t take the time to look at usually, evolve into pretty pictures. Makes everyones local trails ‘new’ again.

wwaswas

Last night in the soft South:

I read that the A27 was at a standstill for hours last night – there’s the evidence in the top right 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

No I’m still not getting it,it’s just like white mud to me…….

emac65
    Free Member

Triple post

emac65
    Free Member

&*^%

bigyinn
    Free Member

I went out solo last friday night in the snow. Got a telling off from the OH and then the next morning from my mum.
    FFS I’ve been riding offroad in the dark in the snow since I was 17. The worst injury I’ve had on the bike was a fractured elbow 2 years ago. 🙄

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I know what you mean about the white mud emac65 but I think wl and mechmonkey explain it best, new challenges and a novelty. You must have seen all the photos doing the rounds too, it’s beautiful out there. Important to dress warm though.

emac65
    Free Member

I’m not saying I don’t ride in it,I do & will be tomorrow.Just don’t understand why people think it’s so great to ride in the snow(or the dark ! )….

yunki
    Free Member

Yes Burchy1 – top carpark looking towards the tor.. it was minging up there this morning.. still snowing V heavily when I headed back down around 11am 😀

emac65 – I live in Devon.. We see snow about once every 30 years, I’ve been getting out on my bike in it as much as poss cos bike will get me places quicker than car or on foot so I can see more of the mythical white stuff.. quite a challenge as well riding sideways and whatnot, fun some people would call it I suppose

I hate riding in the dark though and only do it grudgingly

ads678

Emac65 – Don’t get me wrong i’d much rather be riding dusty trails in 30 degree heat but i think i managed that once last year! It’s just different to riding in cold wet mud, which i’m sick of at the moment. so something different becomes good.

I don’t do a lot of night riding but the stuff i have done is good because the same trails are different. spose it depends where you ride. I tend to go night riding at stainburn which are fairly techy trails and see if I can ride them like i would in the day time. so it’s great fun. otherwise i’d just be sat inside watching some crap on telly.

geoffj

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I had the day off yesterday so went for a spin…

cookeaa

All bike Riding is good, changing the conditions a bit Lighting/temparature/terrain just adds a bit more variety…. it’s still bike riding so it’s all good…

Bit like shagging innit…

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Powder snow on Saturday was amazing…..like plowing through icing sugar, and even easy to ride uphill through. Today it was slush day…..awesome front wheel drifts and sideways action as the front tries to bite down to find traction and the rear sliding all over the place…..whole different set of skills required. All a new challenge and great fun…..especially if you’ve got lake boots keeping your feet absolutely toasty 😀

Northwind

A ride of extensive stupidity today on the innerleithen enduro trails. Bloomin marvellous, amazing the things you can ride a bicycle down really.

chiefgrooveguru

Powder snow on Saturday was amazing…..like plowing through icing sugar, and even easy to ride uphill through. Today it was slush day…..awesome front wheel drifts and sideways action as the front tries to bite down to find traction and the rear sliding all over the place…..whole different set of skills required. All a new challenge and great fun…

Exactly the same down here – fast, crispy and corners you could rail if you got it right, on Saturday; incredibly loose and slippery and hard work keeping the bike upright in a straight line quite a lot of the time, let alone cornering fast or landing drops. The much vilified Strava tells an interesting tale – down a swoopy relatively quick trail (which has been very muddy and rutted of late): 49 seconds in the dry, 92 seconds in Saturday’s grippy snow, 142 seconds in last night’s slushy snow (though getting some heavily snow laden branches in my face may have cost me some seconds!) My grippy snow time is the quickest thus far in 2013 – better than (muddy) dirt!

votchy
    Free Member

The thing I am finding with it is although the temp has been below freezing virtually all week the ground is so wet it cant freeze where it is really muddy, makes riding almost impossible where you break through the frozen crust in to axle deep gloopy mud, the loose snow is very grippy and the solid ice is too (running 2.4″ Rubber Queen black chilli at 20psi), lost my sense of humour on the off road stuff last night so ended up doing an urban ride and enjoying every minute of that.

MoreCashThanDash

Commuted 5 days in snow and ice so far – 24 miles a day – and got out for 19 miles with mates on Sunday. God bless Ice Spikers!

My legs are knackered, my rear mech/cable is frozen most mornings, and I have started a streaming head cold this afternoon. Can’t wait for it to melt and let normal service resume.

But it’s amazing while it lasts. Like an affair. I would imagine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to ride my bike in the snow…..’ is closed to new replies.