I’m going to get a pickup – talk me out of it!

Home Forum Chat Forum I’m going to get a pickup – talk me out of it!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I’m going to get a pickup – talk me out of it!
  • tinybits

so, I can get a pickup (VW Amarok) for less each month in company car tax -being a commercial vehicle- than almost anything else so cost wise (to me) they are a bargain. I’m not too worried about reliability as that’ll be covered by warranty and business and mpg I pay the same amount.

so, with a bit of bike carrying, I accept the bikes are outside, but I currently always use a roof rack so that’s no different. I live in the country so not a lot of town work, I tow, but actually already have another tow car and do a bit of limited off road, fields, tracks etc not mega stuff through rivers and over mountains.

I’m really struggling to pay the additional money for something like a 3 series estate. I quite like the ‘****’ factor as well, it makes me laugh.

what am I missing, why shouldn’t I?

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

There’ll be lots of haterz along soon, but I loved and miss my ford ranger. Go for it.

You’ll have to buy a roof for your half van.

tinybits

I’m alright with that bit, a roof with bike racks on it actually!

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

HMRC are on to non-trades people getting Combis and Pickups, what is your job? Do some good research into potential BIK if they decide it’s mainly for personal uee

wrightyson

Just had the same quandary.

Pick up my dciv (5 seats) transit custom on friday. Had a ranger as a courtesy car for 6 weeks and loved it, it was a straight choice between that and the van. Same length (within 20mm) but for me just no where near as practical. 2k extra for a proper top for the back and I remember having to physically climb in to get stuff that had slid to the front of the load bed when we had the ranger. Had the wildtrak version and it was genuinely brilliant, but by God it was thirsty, sub 30 mpg at 70mph on the m5. If I was coming from a car it would be first choice but as I’m already a van driver the van won.

In your situation id go for it!

TheDTs

Happy Ranger owner here. VW is also nice tough. The kids like it, good view out, lots of space inside. Bikes and muddy kit goes in easily.

If you have a van and put bikes in they will still need to be tied up or they will be sliding all over the place..

Probably better deals VFM on a truckers the residuals are higher than they re on vans.

oldmanmtb

Navara does everything well….

nickjb

Only a sample of one but the FiL’s is pretty awful. Uncomfortable in the back due to limited space and basic suspension. For something that’s huge outside it’s quite tight inside and the boot is ok but not massive. Problem is you cannot combine the space. In our estate/people carrier you can push the seats back to make it very roomy for passengers or flip the seats up for a van-like space and easily get a bike or 3 in upright with the wheels on. I suppose if it’s cheap then why not but it would be way down my list for a practical car.

wrightyson

Probably better deals VFM on a truckers the residuals are higher than they re on vans.

After weeks of research and the chop value I got on my current van that statement isn’t all that true. Vans have never been so popular with a wider market than ever.

tinybits

Happy with the hmrc position, that’s not an issue.

can see the issue with stuff sliding forwards in the back, that could be a ball ache. On the flip side I can load it with shit and timber without destroying the inside!

joshvegas

What you want is a hilux surf.

Pick up? Tick!

Also a massive estate? Tick!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Got some locks for the bikes?

VW was fine for bouncing around on in a mine if you were in the front….

CountZero

Navara does everything well….

Apart from the choppy ride quality, less than precise handling, pretty much fixed driving position…

tinybits

Theres no way of locking bikes securely to roof bars either, simply can’t see the difference.

Amarok isn’t bouncy, has good spec, good driving position and plenty of room inside .maybe the fact that the load bay will get wet even under whatever cover I get and will stay that way until it gets warm and dry out… that’s all I can see against it

jonesyboy

God awful things. Amazes me how many rad endoooro guys have them. Terrible security for your bike, fuel economy, crap on motorways, and you look like some banjo playing nutter.

Having said that a van is not a van if you can’t stand up in it….

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Theres no way of locking bikes securely to roof bars either, simply can’t see the difference.

Your buying a van with none of the practicalities and more down sides. Take a test drive in something like the new Transit Custom Tourneo or whatever it is and see how it compares.

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

Unless you actually need a pickup for doing pickupy things… I wouldn’t.

I have one.  It carrys stuff that smells bad and weighs a lot.  It goes offroad… if I didn’t I would have a more sensible and more efficient vehicle.  That is comfy.  And doesn’t make the kids car sick when it goes around a corner/sees a bump on the road/catches a side wind….

B.A.Nana

I’ve got mine (Navara) for towing and launching / retrieving a water ski boat also retrieving a heavy mobile jetty out of the lake. Beyond that it’s a pain in the arse. Havlng said that customer who has had them all says amoraks are the nicest to drive and own. Some Massive drawbacks owning a pickup generally but you appear to be aware  of those

B.A.Nana

Re back seats. They’re just bench seats so adults have complained after more than hour in the back on long journeys.

wrightyson

As i say I genuinely have real world experience of both. We also have an amorak Ive used and been a passenger in quite a bit.

The anorak is certainly better on fuel than the ranger I had but that was the 3.2 version, if you even began to have some fun in that the mpg would plummet, went to Cornwall in it and after 4 hours the kids did say the seats weren’t all that.

As above though all variants of the transit are really nice these days and cheaper. The fitted bulk head gives you a similar layout. I genuinely couldn’t believe that the ranger is 20mm longer than a lwb custom though.

you look like some banjo playing nutter.

Yeah but think of all the fun you could have!

bikebouy

We’ve just changed from a Ford ranger to a transit van on the farm. The ranger was the previous version and no rear seats and used for farm work only. It was in all honesty a simple and reliable 4×4 carry vehicle. It wasn’t very nice on the road long distance (I managed to go to Newcastle on Tyne from York up the A1 and felt like I needed a sauna and massage) but it was what it was and 25mpg was its average. I know we’re talking different variants of 4×4 but they’re all pretty much agricultural vehicles underneath just some are better than others.

If you want one, why not.

HMRC have been saying the same message for ohhhhh 10 years…now? and it’s rare they chase anyone.

We do see a lot of 4×4’s at the beach surfing, they’re just “lifestyle” vehicles and rubbish at carrying anything longer than a meter and a half… then boards always rammed in sticking up over the cab..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.