Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I'm going to Afan, I'm going to Afan!!!
  • danceswithcats

I haven’t had any time off since Christmas and my wife has to work the Monday and Tuesday off the week I’ve booked off, so I’m sticking the bike in a hire van and spending a couple of nights at Afan Lodge.

Just thought I’d share.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Watch out for the panther!

danceswithcats

Danceswithcats fears no felines.

lumberjack
    Free Member

I’m heading to the same lodge/trails this weekend. Be interested to know what conditions are like.

Also, posting on Monday morning that you’re off riding today – not cool.

DezB
    Free Member

Is that the “smoothest” trail centre in the UK?

Loddrick’s post: HERE

danceswithcats

Sorry, Lumberjack, I didn’t make myself clear; I am working today (second job) and going away next Sunday. The post is just a measure of my enthusiasm. 8-6 in my main job for the rest of this week, if it makes you feel any better. 🙁

danceswithcats

DezB, smooth is good. I’m old, I’m inexperienced and I’m out of shape.

DezB
    Free Member

I was being ironic. It ain’t smooth from what I saw! It’s got lovely big rocks and lumps all over the place. 🙂

andylux
    Free Member

Got back from Afan last night. Trails were predominantly dry with dust in many places = NICE AND FAST!!! Enjoy.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

just down the road from me, and we have had rain all morning, stopped about an hour ago, and now a blue sky above me, might try and sneak in a mid week lap on the wall this week, just to see how the trails have dried out, food at the Lodge is top notch by the way, big fan of the breakfast there.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

The wall has had many parts of it shut recently. I’ve seen people skipping the barriers and riding it anyway. Why is it closed? Because of this tree disease? I’ve been a good boy and not skipped the barrier. Should I skip it? I’ll be up there wednesday morning so I’ll report back.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Dust at Afan shocker – going tomorrow 😀 TBH even if its wet it dosent make any difference IMHO only boggy section is that open moorland bit on W2. Why they dont invest in the trails I dont know. Overal Afan like Cwncarn is showing a lot of wear. Could be draggy on skyline but thats not worth doing these days with diversions and closures.

IdleJon

Wht they dont invest in the trails I dont know. Could be draggy on skyline but thats not worth doing these days with diversions and closures.

Is there any money to invest in the trails themselves?

The parking charges go to the ponds afaik, and I’m assuming no money from the cafe goes into the trails.

And I suppose by extension, what benefit is there in putting more money into the traisl when large numbers are riding there anyway?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I was always happy to pay a bit extra on car parking charge etc for trail refurbishment. or even a day pass. I bought FoD all year car parking pass to put a bit back in the business and I always buy and shop on site.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I took a bimble up the wall Friday. 1st single track section up hill is closed and you have to grind up a long fire road before you do any single track.By then your nearly at the top/

I’d say go and do a short loop of W2 rather than the decent of the wall.Still, its a 5 min drive from my house… lucky really.

backhander
    Free Member

Parking at afan argoed goes to the FC I think, glyncorrwg to the ponds co operative.
    Afan is good (need to open penhydd ASAP), memory tells me Brechfa was manicured in comparison.
    I thought that south wales has just been given a bucket of cash for trails? New routes supposed to be built in merthyr? cwmcarn? afan?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Seems that when something gets closed its closed for a very long time (good). Parts of skyline etc have been out for a year. No work has taken place in a year. Last April they closed penhydd. Its still closed. They dont hurry. The diversion on skyline is a joke. Signage are bits of a4 now mostly blown. Lets be honest the dont give a F++ck for the mountain bike riders. We are just a necessary evil. Really bad (non existent) management.

IdleJon

backhander – Member
    Parking at afan argoed goes to the FC I think, glyncorrwg to the ponds co operative.

I think you are right about that.

I thought that south wales has just been given a bucket of cash for trails? New routes supposed to be built in merthyr? cwmcarn? afan?

I got the impression that the money was meant for new trails. I haven’t seen anything about it for a while though.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Going to ‘new blue’ routes. We got to be inclusive (crock of sh*t).

Stuey01
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    Going to ‘new blue’ routes. We got to be inclusive (crock of sh*t).

Good. I’ll be able to take the mrs.

mountainman123
    Free Member

Sod Wales, get yourself to the 7stanes and include the best trail in the UK which i consider to be Golspie.
    We do around trip of 850miles, from Halifax upto Fort Will then Golspie then Laggan then Innerleithen then back home, best road trip ever.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to Afan, I'm going to Afan!!!’ is closed to new replies.