Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • I’m finally a ‘Professional’…..
  • dirkpitt74

Well it’s only taken me 26 years of working in Engineering to finally get round to it…..

Started my application for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) with the IET November last year after continually putting it off or never quite finishing the application for the last 16 years…..

Due to COVID & stuff it took until late October this year for me to have my interview.

I wasn’t sure how I thought it went as it was over Zoom and I had questions thrown at me during my presentation.
    Was told it would be 4-8 weeks until I heard an outcome.

I had an email last night saying I had been successful and needed to send (more) money to the Engineering Council to make it all official.
    Checked on the EC register today and I am indeed now a registered professional Engineer with letters and everything!!

This has given me a massive mental boost relating to work as when I was made redundant after 16 years at my last company I was basically slagged of and told I was a crap engineer as part of the justification process – which when you’re already suffering from depression and anxiety isn’t that helpful….. – so took voluntary as I couldn’t work there if that’s what they really thought of me after 16 years.

Glad I’ve got it done as it’s been a tough couple of years with COVID, redundancy, failed (unrelated to Engineering) business and taking on a Senior role in a very small company.

Sorry for the self promoting post but I’m feeling quite pleased with myself.

jimdubleyou

Nice one.

thepurist

Three-Seven or Four-Five?

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m an Unprofessional.

footflaps

Well done.

30+ years and never actually bothered to join the IEE / IET / whatever it’s now called….

I’ve definitely got as far as starting filling some forms in, then just lost momentum….

scruff9252

Nice one – I too have been putting it off for *mumbles* years.

Hope you enjoy a nice celebratory beer tonight!

Philby

Congratulations and hope it enables you to put the difficulties of the last couple of years behind you and to move forward with a positive mindset.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well done! You’ve made it to the backslapping club!

DickBarton

Excellent news, congrats.

I have letters I could use but don’t as they are a bit too close to the truth…I’ve a Degree In Computer Knowledge – so it never gets used!

argee

Been in engineering for 27 years, joined about 3 of the institutes and never really gone for CEng, even though work keeps pushing, did almost when they paid a bonus for it, but they stopped it, and I stopped the process at the same point 😁

jamj1974

Congratulations!

dirkpitt74

thepurist

Three-Seven or Four-Five?

That would have to be Four-Five as a fellow Brummie and Great Barr School alumni – although several years apart.

13thfloormonk

Congrats OP!

I’m in a similar-ish position, 13 years in, old company kept bringing it up, new company (only 10 weeks…) seem even more insistent.

Can’t quite see what’s in it for me except a hell of a lot of work, I have to go down the technical report route so first the core competency report (4000 words or so) then synopsis for a technical report which needs reviewed and accepted, and then the report itself (7500 words) then interview etc. etc.

But of course given how shitty my sector of the industry is becoming I’m expected to do that all in my own free time, on top of a job which demands most of my free time anyway…

Anyway, given how much of a mountain getting chartered appears to be to climb, congrats again OP, am impressed anyone manages it…

slowol

Congratulations OP. Good set of letters to get hold of.

Please can I ask that you only use short words if talking to me though as I’m only a Mechanical Engineer.

PS don’t get too much of a shock when they send you the membership bill every year!

footflaps

Please can I ask that you only use short words if talking to me though as I’m only a Mechanical Engineer.

He got a sticker saying “good boy”

wheelsonfire1

I too send my congratulations, hard work and determination has paid off in a genuine endeavour.
    As an amusing (I hope, aside) in my previous job as a Firefighter some of the officers – mostly Masons – started using dubious letters after their names, as did one of the advisors to the Grenfell Towers enquiry. I started using V.G.I.C. after my name on emails. It p****d them off more than you could ever imagine. Even when interviewed about what it meant they would not believe me … I’m sure they thought it meant something derogatory!

timbog160

Congrats and good luck for the future – onwards and upwards!

matt_outandabout

You should be pleased with yourself.

sc-xc

I’m feeling quite pleased with myself.

And so you should be. Well done!

argee

It’s always good to get professional registration, as some jobs have them as essential requirements, i find aerospace seems to like them for specific roles, and slowly it’s running through the other areas.

Well done though, and i hope your work is paying the fees!

wheelsonfire1

As an edit to above… V.G.C.I! I cannot even get that right! Probably explains my lack of progression and the fact they didn’t believe me!

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey … Congratulation. Never too late.

Two of my colleagues are Chartered Engineers (not sure what that means) but every time I asked them to help me change my car suspension they just come up with some weird excuses.

donks
    Free Member

Good work Dirk.

Please don’t go down the path that a consultant took with us a while ago however…when questioned on his design he slapped the table, stood up and ranted to everyone round the table that “he had chartered status and wouldn’t be lectured by the likes of me”.

jamiemcf

Good going. I started the EngTech route about 2 years and it ground to a halt when I’ve not found the time at work to complete it.

chewkw
    Free Member

…when questioned on his design he slapped the table, stood up and ranted to everyone round the table that “he had chartered status and wouldn’t be lectured by the likes of me”.

LOL! If that happens at my workplace I would be laughing the whole day.

So that’s how Charted status works … LOL!

p/s: actually 3 of my colleagues have chartered status …

cp

Congrats!

Nearly 2o years here post-degree and I really really should do mine

neilnevill
    Free Member

Congrats!!! Really well done, it’s an achievement and you should be proud.

I finally got MIMechE CEng some 13 years ago and now it just feels like a way to give out several hundred quid a year :/

fossy

Welcome to the club of paying professional membership fees for nothing in return ! 🙂

dirkpitt74

@donks

Good work Dirk.

Please don’t go down the path that a consultant took with us a while ago however…when questioned on his design he slapped the table, stood up and ranted to everyone round the table that “he had chartered status and wouldn’t be lectured by the likes of me”

Unfortunately there are people like that….
    I tend to take on board people’s comments about my designs as every day is a school day – Engineering is a collaborative process and all input is valid.

CountZero

👍🏼😎

igm

Welcome to the craft

mick_r

Well done. Took about 15 years for a few of us at work to finally get round to getting CEng. Had associate membership for a long while before that (made sure I got in at that level before they changed the rules to the MEng degree nonsense). Can’t say it has made a big difference – maybe useful for credibility with foreign customers. And signed the odd passport application 🙂

stingmered

I’ve been a chartered Chemical Engineer since 2006. It’s pretty irrelevant to the work I do these days although I still work in the engineering sector. What my institute does for £300 a year I can’t fathom, but as work pay for it I’ll keep writing the cheque every December. I wouldn’t bother otherwise, but if you are practising it’s almost mandatory in my sector in terms of ‘proving’ competency to clients.

jam-bo

Welcome to the club of paying professional membership fees for nothing in return ! 🙂

CMarSci here, if work didn’t pay the fees I’m not sure I’d keep it up. Apparently I’m supposed to keep a record of CPD but handing over my corporate CC details once a year seems to suffice…

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    I’ve been paying membership etc since I was a Student (27 years….) and member of the IIE as it was back then, then it changed to the IEEIE and then merged with the IEE and then changed to IET – think I may have singlehandedly paid for all the name changes over the years lol.

Agreed that if work didn’t pay it now I don’t think I’d bother at nearly £250/year.

Relevance to me is personal achievement, relevance to the Company is they can charge me out at a higher rate – they’ll get way more than the £250 back lol

Previous company paid a £1k (taxable) bonus when you got Professional Registration – new company don’t but I might be cheeky and ask lol.

In all seriousness though I am grateful to them for getting me back in full time employment.

tonyg2003

Congrats. A few more letters after your name can help open doors and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

keefezza
    Free Member

Fair play op and well done for putting yourself forward to do something positive for yourself, not always that easily done.

I almost started the process but was struggling to understand true benefits to doing so other than the feeling of a personal achievement (which in this case doesn’t do a right lot for me).
    Few comments from others about no benefits, but what are you hoping to get from it over the long term?
    Serious/curious question 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Yeah you get to refer to yourself as a technician engineer on STW

aP
    Free Member

Well done!
    Chartered, eh? Join the club!

dirkpitt74

@keefezza

Fair play op and well done for putting yourself forward to do something positive for yourself, not always that easily done.

I almost started the process but was struggling to understand true benefits to doing so other than the feeling of a personal achievement (which in this case doesn’t do a right lot for me).
    Few comments from others about no benefits, but what are you hoping to get from it over the long term?
    Serious/curious question 🙂

Long term not entirely sure tbh.
    It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and had to go out of my comfort zone to do it.
    I hate having to talk about myself, promote myself and do presentations – so I really had to push myself to do this.
    It looks good on the CV, shows commitment but probably more benefit to my employer.

It’s been a challenge for me and has helped me overcome a mental block where work is concerned and how I dealt with the ‘bad press’ from my last job – it’s give me the boost to know I can do my job and I’m at least half decent at it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘I’m finally a ‘Professional’…..’ is closed to new replies.