Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • I’m all for Chinese carbon parts but even this is pushing my limit…
  • grahamt1980

Is it just me that finds the idea of a sunpeed frame funny?

retro83
    Free Member

oliverracing

Subscriber

These appear to be the same as the ones you linked V8 but a fair bit cheaper and into the “take a punt” price range – got a couple of favourable reviews too Linky

Maybe it’s unfair to assume $50 forks will be of sub-par build quality but let’s just say any savings will quickly be wiped out by dental fees if for example the crown were to detach from the steerer.

DezB
    Free Member

Heee 🙂

oliverracing

Maybe it’s unfair to assume $50 forks will be of sub-par build quality but let’s just say any savings will quickly be wiped out by dental fees if for example the crown were to detach from the steerer.

I never claimed they’d be quality or any good, I was just pointing out the they were the same as the ones he’d linked but for 1/2 the price!

funkmasterp

I’ve found my frame. Don’t care about the price. It’s proper

Nope, can’t see anything

oliverracing

So this really deserves it’s own thread but wow, some reviews of carbon cranks are brilliant!

Look that that flex…

Flexxxyyyy

And then some lovely debonding after 22km…

debonded

trumpton
    Free Member

ropey. I think I would buy a chinese frame though if it got good reviews. maybe not from here though.

andyxm
    Free Member

Is it just me that finds the idea of a sunpeed frame funny?

Nope 🙂

keithb

So, has anyone actually bought/used any of those chinese forks?  Given the lack of 26″ straight steered forks on the market, it looks like chinese is the only option to keep some bikes operational should the forks fail.. Like both of my mountain bikes…

And no, I’m not about to replace a perfectly servicable 2006 bike because one element of it has finally given up the ghost! Plus I can’t afford to replace it!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    lovewookie

hmm.

what could go wrong with these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mtb-GXP-Bicycle-crank-set-mountain-bike-crankset-axis/132923740553

Not carbon, kinda I beam like. only thing that worries me is the 24mm aluminium axle, and I know the BB will be dead in a month.

martinhutch

what could go wrong with these?

A genuine SRAM GXP bottom bracket would still probably fail first.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Dance with China, Dance with the Devil.

This stuff is a real problem for manufacturers and consumers. To the unwitting consumer, they are buying the “real” thing at a discount. To manufacturers, Chinese knock offs can damage their brands (when things fail) or worse still get blended into legitimate supply chains thus creating liability issues that need to be worked through with costly lawyers and IP investigation teams.

Personally I’d be happy if we didn’t trade with China until they started playing by the same rules as everyone else. The planet would probably benefit from that as well.

pigyn
    Free Member

I bought a set of eBay ’34s’ to make a tare down video of. Not had the chance to film it yet but even just unboxing you can see the lowers are full of voids/imperfections. That brake post 😭 I wonder what you would see if you scanned them! Anyone want to make a bet to what kind of damper is in there?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8b3fy9njAp/?igshid=12a877uw2lotz

tthew

Tear, as in rip, not tare, related to mass dude. 👍

lovewookie

Wouldn’t be surprised if the internals are like old manitous. The eBay forks either used the abs+ damper, or the sr suntour internals.
    My guess is that manitou and suntour use readily available parts.
    How well they slide though, that’ll be interesting based on those moulding flaws.

flows
    Free Member

Actually, these cranks are one of the few decent chinese items. It doesn’t have a GXP spindle, but a HTII one. It uses the GXP interface on the chainrings, though. Even the BB that comes with the cranks is reliable.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Anyone want to make a bet to what kind of damper is in there?

I’m going to go with a proper lump of elastomer, or actual elastic bands.

Failing that some discontinued rs stuff, like say the xc28, that was truly horrid, that the factory owned all the tooling for.

damascus
    Free Member

@pigyn

I bought a set of eBay ’34s’ to make a tare down video of. Not had the chance to film it yet

That sounds like a good idea. Please share a link when you get round to it.

somafunk

Don’t bother tearing them down, we all want to see you fit them to a bike and send it big, be sure and video the action though.

wordnumb
    Free Member

…and the x-rays / joint relocation.

pigyn
    Free Member

Much better at the spanners than the spelling, thankfully 🤣

squirrelking
    Free Member

If they’re anything like Chinese air rifles (and the blatant IP infringements would suggest so) there will be a few cheap examples that will work well after some refinishing. They will be utter crap until factories get the techniques right but once they do they will be worth looking at.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘I’m all for Chinese carbon parts but even this is pushing my limit…’ is closed to new replies.