Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • I’m all for Chinese carbon parts but even this is pushing my limit…
  • oliverracing

Yikes, I’ve read reviews of real RS1 that say the fore-aft stiffness is great but the torsional stiffness can be a little twangy. I hate to think how a Chinese copy (can’t really call it anything other than that) is going to handle. I also have a bad feeling its gonna use the most basic damping available and gonna be a bit bouncy. Could be quite fun to ride…

I also love the slogan of the company… “Casual riding” 😯

Chinese RS1 copy

For anyone brave enough to try one out – for the lovely sum for £244 you can find them Here 😕

PJay
    Free Member

The last picture on the web page is listed as a Raceworks fork but appears to be a Rockshox.

I’m also intrigued as to what “predictive steering” is.

nixie

Love the SRAM taped boxes in the later photos!

honourablegeorge

Predictive Steering is RockShox jargon, think it was a similar thing to the torque cap setup they use now, was a specific hub design for the fork

kayak23

Predictive steering has been available on fatbikes for years 😉

PJay
    Free Member

Predictive Steering is RockShox jargon, think it was a similar thing to the torque cap setup they use now,

Cheers, I’ve found the SRAM blurb now; it appears to have nothing to do with predicting your steering.

ajantom

I prefer the knock-off Fox 32s for £60 🤣
    Fork 32s

oliverracing

Haha, I’d missed that bottom picture and the SRAM boxes

Those fox 32 are a bargain….

DezB
    Free Member

I prefer the knock-off Fox 32s for £60 🤣
    Fork 32s

Straight steerer option! I wonder if you can actually get a 27.5 frame with a straight steerer tube… 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Those “Fork 32s” are incredible!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those Fork 32’s actually appear to have a manitou damper in them?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m going to buy something today. Can’t decide what! Would’ve been a pairs [sic] of XT BRAKES for $42.90, if they hadn’t said XT in the pic and SLX in the description… I have slight suspicion they aren’t either.. call me telepathic 😆

link

Some awesome discounts on offer too:
    “Get US $1 off when you spend over US $100 in this store. (Incl. shipping costs)” 😀

vinnyeh

Those “Fork 32s” are incredible!

And what looks like QR 15mm. Am I correct in thinking this. Is this a thing?

What’s ABS+?

nixie

Those brakes could be a good buy. They would be hard pushed to make less reliable calipers than Shimano do 😁.

oliverracing

In fairness I’ve used a set of those (or very similar) Chinese shimano clone brakes and they weren’t bad – definitely better than a set of £35 brakes from ebay.

Weren’t on my bike so no long term feedback but guy in my local club who fitted them as part of his Chinese copy bike with pretty much all parts from knock off brands on aliexpress, 9.8kg carbon hard-tail that rode bloody nicely for less than £1k

trumpton
    Free Member

thanks for link. Good to see 26 inch straight steerer Manitou forks for sale. I guess they are not copies.

DezB
    Free Member

guy in my local club who fitted them as part of his Chinese copy bike with pretty much all parts from knock off brands on aliexpress

I see a challenge. Build the cheapest bike possible on Aliexpress 😆

DezB
    Free Member

This pic made me laugh

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That shimano calliper appears to have half of an avid tri-align washer stack on top of it?

What’s ABS+?

Manitou Absolute+ damper, obviously those aren’t manitou forks but the dial looks identical.

I wonder where the market for this stuff is? Surely there must be some development costs even if it’s just tooling. Someone somewhere must be buying them to make it worth their while.

£60 for a “fork 32” is cheap, but it’s not OEM BSO cheap is it?

mattyfez

thanks for link. Good to see 26 inch straight steerer Manitou forks for sale. I guess they are not copies.

There are loads of good brand new straight steer forks for sale from suntour.

People seem to think the only forks on the market are rockshox and fox.. Because that’s all wiggle/chain reaction stock

scotroutes

That shimano calliper appears to have half of an avid tri-align washer stack on top of it?

The same alignment washers are shipped with every Shimano adapter.

cp

It’s a good idea to put them on the top of any caliper as it removes any problems caused by the threaded hole in the frame or mount not being perfectly perpendicular to the caliper mount face.

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate has a Chinese gf. He’s been over a few times, and last time went out on a bike ride with a relative and his mates. They didn’t speak any English, he doesn’t speak Chinese so it must’ve been a bit comedy. Anyway they were all on gnar enduro max style carbon MTB copies with loads of knock-off bling, for a casual road pootle. So I’m guessing there’s more of a market over there.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll find that’s a Shimano caliper. I mean it doesn’t say XT on it. And the caption says Racework, what I believe is the brand they is selling 😆

jonnyrobertson

Crap, sorry about the big Linky. Dunno how to contract them.

mildred

My 180mm rotor Shimano adapters came with these (from Wiggle).

Poopscoop

That’s a good idea someone mentioned…. to try and build up (if only on paper) a bike that is composed almost completely of Chinese knock of stuff.

Worth a thread on that guys??

PJay
    Free Member

To be honest I don’t know how they managed to so blatant and get away with it (although I believe that copyright/patent infringement is big in China); the store is even call the Shimano Store.

They’re also offering a knockoff Mondraker Podium carbon frame that even references Mondraker in the blurb:-

The all-new carbon XC race hardtail drops frame weight down to a claimed 1200g with what Mondraker calls a Stealth Air carbon layup.

willard

Because you can’t really sue them. China really does not care about the concept of IP (unless it is theirs) and, if you sue, the company just goes away and reappears with a different name a short while later. You end up paying for no gain. It’s whack-a-mole and you cannot do that, even as a big company.

otsdr
    Free Member

It’s a good idea to put them on the top of any caliper as it removes any problems caused by the threaded hole in the frame or mount not being perfectly perpendicular to the caliper mount face.

They are required (and supplied) in the case of this type of adaptor, because the caliper is no longer parallel with the mount.

DezB
    Free Member

to try and build up (if only on paper) a bike that is composed almost completely of Chinese knock of stuff.

I’ve found my frame. Don’t care about the price. It’s proper

DezB
    Free Member

They are required (and supplied) in the case of this type of adaptor, because the caliper is no longer parallel with the mount

I really think you fellas are completely missing the point of that stupid pic, going on about the bleedin spacers!

oliverracing

So I’ve just had a quick play with the sicklines weights sheet building a Chinese hard tail with Chinese knockoff parts where possible from aliexpress only (some stuff just Chinese brands that aren’t obvious knockoffs) and got to about £950 including everything you will need (cables etc.) and about 9.3kg if you believe claimed weights! 1*11 gears, carbon wheels, seatpost, saddle and bars(integrated stem for fun)!

I bet you’d be stung on import for a few bits but likely only frame/wheels/groupset/forks and maybe bars which will ad a £100-£300 but still surprisingly cheap!

Would be interesting to see how this compares the the fully British bike being talked about a few weeks ago! I reckon you can knock another 0.5-1kg off this by buying more premium parts as I’ve just gone for the top ordered or near that!

wzzzz
    Free Member

They’re also offering a knockoff Mondraker Podium carbon frame that even references Mondraker in the blurb:-

Not sure I trust a Tory never mind a “Carbon Tory”

null

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’m glad this thread came up, I was looking for new forks the missus’ bike and found these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLANY-Air-Suspension-Fork-MTB-Mountain-Bike-26-27-5-29-100mm-1-1-8Threadless/192960958173?var=493155516571

I’m kinda curious to see if they actually work! I’m looking to replace a 2006 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA so the bar is pretty low…

If the weights are correct it could be nice and light, unlike these!:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLANY-26-27-5-29-Suspension-Fork-1-1-8-Threadless-Mountain-Bike-Forks-9mm-QR/273949411055?var=573875667799

Mark

trumpton
    Free Member

there are real Manitou forks there too. they will be better.

oliverracing

These appear to be the same as the ones you linked V8 but a fair bit cheaper and into the “take a punt” price range – got a couple of favourable reviews too Linky

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘I’m all for Chinese carbon parts but even this is pushing my limit…’ is closed to new replies.