Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • I'm about to buy a caravan
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Flame me, go on.

trailmonkey

Caravan owners have been annoying the Cornish for years.

For that I salute them.

wwaswas

I just sold one. Our needs had changed but loved it while we had it.

Towing always felt like a proper challenge too – my caravan was over 7m long.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

pikey! 😀

Kuco

Caravan owners should only be allowed to tow between the hours of 12:00am and 5:00am any other time if they are caught their caravan should be blown up on the spot.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am a considerate driver, I'll still be considerate with a van on the back 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Let's see a pic then.

trailmonkey

Wise words Kuco, anyone holding the traffic up shouldn't be allowed on the road. Don't even get me started on cyclists.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Top tip: overtaking people in convertible sports cars whilst towing a caravan is one of the most entertaining activities within the (non towing) speed limit.

MrTall
    Free Member

Bargain!! If i had somewhere to keep it i'd buy one of those just to take to Mayhem every year!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My mates arrived at the head of Glen Clova yesterday after being unable to overtake a Sunday driver for 12 miles who was diving at 30mph, unaware that anything was behind him.

'Are you a visitor to this country?' asks mate.'Because in this country its customary to pull over and let cars which are obviously moving faster than you to pass'

Sunday driver replies, 'The speed limit is 30mph' in a Weegie accent
    'No its not, I think you'll find its 60mph'

It decended into a farcical argument with us looking for dog sh*t to smear in his door handles.

molgrips
    Free Member

MrTall – that's basically what I am thinking. Keep it stocked with dishes etc, so just lob food, clothes and bikes in it and you're ready to go. Then when everyone else is shivering away in tents with damp and mud everywhere, you are clean, warm, cosy and dry 🙂

porter_jamie

Kuco – Member

Caravan owners should only be allowed to tow between the hours of 12:00am and 5:00am any other time if they are caught their caravan should be blown up on the spot.
    what nonsense. i think 3.00am and 3.15am is more than adequate?

edit add – to be fair i use one when me and the bro go motorbike racing and it is a life saver when it rains, which is mostly. There should be a law requiring a minimum of 150bhp for the towing vehicle though!

billybob
    Free Member

Caravan owners have been annoying the Cornish for years.

For that I salute them.

I'm sure if they clogged up your counties roads & make it a made it a much scarier proposition to ride a bike out on the roads you'd share a similar Top Gearesque hatred for them & their owners..

nbt

I hate top gear and the idiots who believe the pap. I'd love a caravan.

carriegold
    Free Member

falkirk-mark

edit add – to be fair i use one when me and the bro go motorbike racing and it is a life saver when it rains, which is mostly. There should be a law requiring a minimum of 150bhp for the towing vehicle though!

Would ye not be better with a motorbike 😈

porter_jamie

Would ye not be better with a motorbike

well, it has two wheels…

bruneep

shed dragger!

samuri
    Free Member

I hate top gear and the idiots who believe the pap. I'd love a caravan.

I certainly got quite cross when I watched them trashing a number of perfectly servicable campervans in a race. I'd love one of them but they all seem to be incredibly pricey.

scraprider
    Free Member

i have a van and i love it , i do not do tarmackin and i dont have any dags.i dont like pikeys.

fruitbat

One of my most amusing memories of caravaning was when I overtook 5 cars at once going up the hill out of Kincardine (on Forth).

As advised above my car, an Alfa GTV6, had adequate power for embarrassing the non towing fraternity.

molgrips
    Free Member

Samurai – define pricey.

I just looked at a great 2 berth one, shower, hot water, blown air heating, motor mover, no damp, two awnings, £1k.

Oh and the towing car is 140bhp diesel so should be sufficient 🙂

nbt

I just looked at a great 2 berth one, shower, hot water, blown air heating, motor mover, no damp, two awnings, £1k.

£1k is a great price for that spec, Dad sold his for twice that last year and could have got more for it.

konaman
    Free Member

Once your at your destingation caravans are great. No hassle of erecting a tent. Just remember to put the legs down before you go in! made that mistake a couple of times.. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

We took a caravan to clic 24 last year it pissed with rain and we had lots of people looking for an excuse to pop round for tea

molgrips
    Free Member

Feeling a little weird about it cos it's basically like someone else's house that was cheaply decorated 20 years ago.

I reckon though, a bit of work, a bit of living and it'll be alright. Guy was a smoker though – the van smelt really strongly of cleaning products, so I dunno if it'll stink of fag smoke when that wears off.

Although I couldn't detect a trace when I went in.

samuri
    Free Member

hmmm, that does sound better than a really expensive van that I have to drive down the shops in…..

I might start looking myself now, if I can get a decent one for a grand of thereabouts.

You know, I used to look forward to fights kicking off in pubs so I could get stuck in, I used to get blind drunk and have sex with proper boilers in the backs of cars and look at me now….considering buying a caravan.

molgrips
    Free Member

2 berth ones are way cheaper than 4-5 berth. Also (I've found) there are a lot of dodgy geezers about dealing caravans, so go for private sales.

We were in a caravan place the other day that also had campervans. They had an H reg small VW van thing for NINE FRIGGING GRAND! H reg! Camper vans are an absolute ripoff.

uplink
    Free Member

Are you going to tow it with a Toyota Pious?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would, but they can't tow 🙂

And it's Prius, not pious. Pious is what people call them when they feel the need to imagine people driving around in them feeling like they are better than everyone, when in fact people just want to save a bit of fuel.

samuri
    Free Member

Also (I've found) there are a lot of dodgy geezers about dealing caravans

Uhuh.

molgrips
    Free Member

The reality was far far stranger…

terrahawk
    Free Member

I got completely sick and tired of it raining at races and the fact that my wife and kids had to 'shelter' in a poxy tent for the entire weekend. So I bought a cheap caravan. Nowt wrong with it, I've spent some money on it though and got an awning too.

It's great at 24 hour races, especially when I can get a good night's sleep the night before and I'm not worried about the kids spending the weekend in that bloody tent. I CAN STAND UP TO GET CHANGED, HAVE A SLASH IN A PROPER BOG AND COOK FOOD ON A REAL COOKER AND KEEP MY BEER IN THE FRIDGE FFS.

We go on loads of little holidays in it now as well, which our 2 girls love.

Get one. They're fookin brilliant, caravans.

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂

That basically our reasoning too. Along with being able to leave it stocked with dishes and pans and stuff, to slash packing time to a minimum.

konabunny
    Free Member

that's quite a nice caravan you've linked to, molgrips, and pretty cheap, too. what does it do to fuel economy?

'course, you need somewhere to park it…

kerv
    Free Member

Horses for courses I guess. Nine grand for an impractical, iconic, cult classic, or a grand for a very practical pig ugly plastic box on wheels that will pretty much p1ss off everyone on the road before ending it's days flipped on its side across all three lanes of the motorway! 🙂

spooky_b329

I followed one down the M/A23 just like the one in that ebay ad. You'll be glad to know it tows perfectly well at 70mph behind a Renault Scenic…the guy must just have been crossing his fingers that he wouldn't need to make any sudden lane changes… Scary!

Caravans are great if you have somewhere to store them, my parents spent 10 years paying £5 a week storage, yet only used the van once a year and hated towing it. I eventually managed to prise it away from them and flogged it on ebay for just under a grand. It was a 6 berth but a basic model and did have a bit of damp.

A caravan would be an upgrade for me, I tow a horsebox and rarely get over 55mph even on motorways 🙂 I do pull over for people though, unless they are driving right up my backside and then they can sit there all day.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Had one for about 3 years now, we are on our dream van at the moment, bought cheap and cheerful to see if we would like it, then upgraded to a 24ft 5 berth van with all the trimmings, then bought the Volvo XC70 awd to tow it, myself, wife and 2 young kids love it, we have seen a lot of this country and have had great times, even when the weather is bad there is always a decent set of waterproofs and wellies.

Towing, take your time and get used to it, manoeuvring is easy, again, take your time and get used to it.

Dickhead drivers that watch Top Gear and believe all that is said on there, accept them for what they are, I have had them try to overtake me whilst towing only to get alongside and spot the 3 cars in front holding me up. As a cyclist you will always give them a very wide berth so the odd comment on here needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. I do pull over if i am holding up traffic, although the last few times I have done this i have found myself being held up!!

Get out there and explore, the is a site in Kendal we go to, I live in Bolton, in 2 hours we can be at the site, fully set up with the awning up and a cold beer in hand with the kids off Gruffalo hunting.

If you want any more advice aldredchris at googlemail dot com

Chris

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘I'm about to buy a caravan’ is closed to new replies.