Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I'm a Rocketman!
  • bennn
    Free Member

Literally. Picked my new frame up from my LBS yesterday, spent a few hours last night building, with a little finishing off done today.

I’m really pleased with how it’s come out, I’ve been amassing parts for quite some time, mainly s/h, so thanks to all of those that I’ve dealt with, I’m sure you know who you are!

In case anyone’s interested..

Spec;[/u]
    Cotic Rocket frame in L with CCDB Air CS
    Rockshox Pike RCT3 160mm
    KS Lev Integra & Charge Spoon Ti
    LB 35mm Carbon rims on Hope Pro II Evo 40T
    XT 11 Speed Drivetrain & Cranks
    Works Components 32T N/W with Blackspire Bruiser taco
    Saint Brakes with Ice Tech rotors
    Hope headset, BB & seatclamp
    Renthal/ ODI cockpit
    Conti’ Trail King tyres, Black Chilli, tubeless.

32.09LB all in weight, but not exactly a weight-weenie build either.

All important.. pictures, (before steerer cut);

aaaand, after.

I’ve not had any real riding on it yet, just a 5 min pootle to take some pics.

Do your worst!

Ben.

flyingmonkeycorps

You’re a lucky man, I love my Rocket26 and that looks like an ace build.

shaungero
    Free Member

What an amazing looking bike. How does it ride ?

parkesie
    Free Member

Nice looking bike when are you cutting that steerer down though?

bennn
    Free Member

shaungero – only had a 5 min ride to get the 3rd pic in the woods nearest home. Hoping to get dosed up on painkillers and head out tomrrow.

parkesie – the first 2 pics is pre-cut, 3rd is post. I’ve left a 10mm spacer above the stem just to check I’m happy with everything for a few rides before the final chop.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Like that good work and nice spec . Except the brown bits . Enjoy!

flyingmonkeycorps

The colour scheme reminds me of my old Ragley. Except that was fugly and made of bits, this one isn’t.

shaungero
    Free Member

Well enjoy your ride tomorrow and make sure you get back to us.

zelak999
    Free Member

Awesome build, I love that green.

metalheart
    Free Member

That looks slack!

Think I prefer the straight seat tube a la the 26er (aesthetically).

Fromt end looks high, what size of stem you got?

Very Interested to hear how the 650B rides. RR once you got it proper dirty :mrgreen:

bennn
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – I appreciate the tan is a little marmite, I thought if everything was completely black it might be a little too ‘stealth’ I like the contrast of the green and brown personally.

shaungero – Will post ride info as soon as I can.

metalheart 65.5 degree HA with 160mm forks, the first two pics were just a dry-build with waay too many spacers. In the 3rd pic there’s 30mm of spacers under the stem – a Renthal Duo, and 10mm on top, so I can play about with stack height until I’m completely happy.

Ben.

metalheart
    Free Member

and 10mm on top, so I can play about with stack height until I’m completely happy.

Fair point! Carry on…. 😳

jezzep

Great!! Post ride updates? Bet it’s great 😉

JeZ

chiefgrooveguru

Awesome! Very glad to see these available again.

chiefgrooveguru

Btw, isn’t your CCDBA on backwards?

Wookster

Looks lush!

colournoise

I’m jealous. That is all.

jamj1974

Have to say that’s very nice indeed.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Nice! Where’d you get the ‘stealthy’ Pike decals from Ben?

nickc

Looks very nice!

Btw, isn’t your CCDBA on backwards?

does that make a difference at all, or is it just aesthetic?

bennn
    Free Member

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

chiefgrooveguru – Bushes came in from TF Tuned, I told them what frame it was for so I just fitted it as it came. Does it make any difference?

Chipbuttyhttp://www.slikgraphics.com/collections/fork-decals-rockshox/products/rockshox-pike-2015-style-decals-black-forks 😉

ononeorange

Nice.

Had you been sick in the first pic or just wet yourself in excitement?

chiefgrooveguru

Fractionally less unsprung mass and easier to reach the climb switch the other way round – I wouldn’t swap it unless it’s dead easy though!

bennn
    Free Member

ononeorange – 100% sex wee.

chiefgrooveguru Nah, it’d mean pressing the bushes out and swapping (they’re different widths) Plus, the CS is nice and easy to get to near the seattube as is.

Been for a nice ride this morning, very impressed, will post some musings (and pics!) later.

Ben.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Cheers Benn 🙂

fathomer

Ohhhh, very nice indeed 8)

bennn
    Free Member

Right then, as promised, a quick summary of my first ride – initial impressions were that the frame is stiff, not in a harsh, unforgiving way more planted and confidence inspiring, which I enjoyed.

Secondly, the ride is just so plush – I’m giving some of the credit here to the CCDB, which seems to match the Pikes in suppleness and control and makes the bike feel lovely.

Pootling along swoopy woody singletrack the bike sat high and taut in its travel only getting deeper into the stroke on the really choppy downhill stuff, whilst still not using all the available travel. (I’m taking this as a good thing as I’d build it as my ‘big day out’ bike for Lakes/ Peaks etc)

I’ve got the base tune provided by Cy set into the shock at the moment, and noticed the slightest amount of pedal bob, though this could be down to my pedalling style more than anything. Otherwise I may have a play about to see if I can dial it out without losing the small bump sensitivity. Saying that, I was having a bit of an ‘off’ day yesterday as well as carrying an injury, and at some points keeping up with my mates on hardtails made me grin!

All in all I loved my first ride on it, very confidence inspiring on the bigger, steeper stuff where it really seemed to excel. I kind of had it in my mind that it feels like a ‘riders bike’ in that the more effort you’re putting in, the better it felt. Kind of hard to explain but it responds well to rider input, if you’re after a big wallowy bike, this isn’t for you. A big squishy comfy armchair slouch it ain’t.

Hope these ramblings have made some sense to anyone interested. Will try and be a little more coherent a few rides in, which may be a little while until I’m off the pain killers.

Thanks, Ben.

Oh.. some ride pics too;

shaungero
    Free Member

Sounds awesome mate.

shredder
    Free Member

An off day you say …. 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice bike

Scamper
    Free Member

Great to see these making their way out to customers. On my green bfe I went for that saddle too!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

not keen on the brown but otherwise a sorted bike.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I'm a Rocketman!’ is closed to new replies.