Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I’m a little ashamed.. What tyre for the alps…
  • duncancallum

Ok theres a little bragging in the post title but…

I’m off to slovenia in 5 weeks n I’m in a pickle tyre wise.

I’m on a dhf2 in exo and an aggressor on the back but I’m worried they’re not man enough….

Looking at maybe the Michelin or even the kenda hellraisers

Size wise 29er up to 2.4

So any suggestions

stevomcd
    Free Member

Minions are spot on. You’ll be fine.

duncancallum

Ran dhr dhf last time it’s the rear it’s a bit light… Might just go hr2 on it

joebristol

It’s not the hr2vsdhr2 that’ll make the difference, it’s the casing. If you’re worried about flats then get a DD casing of whichever back tyre you like.

I couldn’t bring myself to buy another expensive Maxxis back tyre for North Wales so I stuck with the dhf exo 3c on the front but picked up a WTB tough / fast trailboss quite cheaply from Crc. No flats and it gripped fine as most stuff was dry.

SirHC

Double down or DH casing on the back of you are riding anywhere rocky.

Exo+ or double down up front.

If you are pedalling, go for the lighter variants of above, lift assisted, then full DH casing.

Was in the Alps at the beginning of summer, group of 8 of us. I’m on full DH casing, no issues for the 10days we were there (150,000fy of descending). For bored waiting for others to fix punctures, so did extra laps whilst they were faffing!

nickdavies

That’s fine, Slovenia you’re going to be doing some pedalling that’s exactly what I’d use.

In fact even for full on lift assisted alps I’m running exo tyres now and have for a couple of years, back out next week and it’ll be minion/aggressor exo again the dh tyres will be staying in the garage.

lardman
    Free Member

Never had an issue with EXO max is tyres in the Alps (not just lift only DH type riding). Had one puncture (side wall cut) in 5 trips. I’m currently running DHR2 EXO+ 2.4 WT on front AND rear.

Pretty bombproof, light enough to pedal quite a bit too.

chevychase

I run DHR2 Exo MaxxTerra. Never cut my tyres or punctured. Not massively downhilly though.

Kamakazie

With RideSlovenia?
    It’s mostly wooded and only a few rocky trails.
    I’m not a tyre killer but an Exo rear was fine and we only had 1 puncture in the group all week (not sure what they were running but we got it sealed).

Tread wise, if it’s wet you’ll wish you had a cut down spike but even dry is generally loamy so something with a bit of bite is nice.

colp

Tread wise, if it’s wet you’ll wish you had a cut down spike but even dry is generally loamy so something with a bit of bite is nice.

That’s what I was thinking, maybe a Shorty on the front

Kamakazie

Shorty, MM, Hillbilly, Wild Enduro, Hellkat all good.

I ran a Toro which was great as usual. That’s an underated all-rounder.

Kahurangi

Keep tyres that you’re used to, sounds like Minions are ideal. Get a tougher casing on the rear if you want to spend ££ on a new tyre or maybe spend £ on an insert and see how that goes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I’m a little ashamed.. What tyre for the alps…’ is closed to new replies.