• This topic has 29 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I’m a flat pedal convert
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

After a few posts here regarding flat pedals etc..and about 80 quid later sees me with nice Wellgo MG1 pedals and a (not so nice looking) pair of 5-10 shoes ( s/h but new Sam Hill ones – eeee wonder if I’ll ever get used to the snake skin bit ! -)

No worries as they’ll soon be covered up with mud.

Well, most of the time I hardly noticed I wasn’t clipped in as my feet were well and truly planted on the pedals. The bumpy bits at Rivi, on my hardtail couldn’t dislodge my feet at all, full speed (as a test you understand) .
    I could still lift off ok too (need a bit of work for more height but Ok for now)

I recommend flats to anyone as long as they get shoes for the job too.

well happy

😆

Neb

I had my first trip out on flats at the weekend as well. I was very impressed! I just used my old running shoes, so it might even be a bit better with proper shoes.

I struggled with technical climbs though, trying to spin the pedal whilst going over bumpy stuff was quite difficult… has anyone got any advice?

ton

me too
    5/10s and v12s, to go with me new bike.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ton, I bet my 5-10’s are uglier that yours are!

the_lecht_rocks

LOL at the newcomers to flats 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

I have tried flats and just don’t get on with them at all, good for commuting or freeride/downhill definately not for xc though….

aw
    Free Member

Not sure about the flats are good for commute comment?

I used to use flats on my old cindercone. They were like big bear traps and I loved them, then I got convinced by posts here and all the mags that you needed SPDs so got some spuds. I miss my flats and might take another look at them. I think clipless or spds are good for on road where you need the pedal efficiency but off road when a dab here and there is useful I am not so sure 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

” trying to spin the pedal whilst going over bumpy stuff was quite difficult… has anyone got any advice?”

errr… use SPDs. For techy climbs, I get frustrated without the extra power and control I get using SPDs.

You’ll want a decent pedal spanner as well to make swapping between rides quicker:

XC = SPDs
    Larking about in the woods and quarry = flats

Hairychested
    Free Member

Does anybody know where in West London (or nearby) I can try 5-10’s on? Small size, mind you (40 AKA 6/7).

s8tannorm
    Free Member

When instructing I’m always a little surprised how many people arrive with clips and leave vowing to buy some flats. I’m also quite disturbed by just how many blokes send their good ladies out on sh1te plastic bear trap things…no grip whatsoever but still rough enough to remove skin 😥

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I fancy some of those 5.10s tho. Gotta be better than my old trainers.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

plastic pedals are truly horrid and second only to rubber pedals

coffeeking
    Free Member

Horses for courses. I’d not take flats on a long XC holiday, I just dont get the same efficiency due to not being able to pull up on the pedals, but I never even took my spuds to the Alps.

Well done converting, it is a bit odd seeing someone beign a newbie to flats though lol

coogan
    Free Member

definately not for xc though….

Bollocks, I use flats for all my riding (XC, uplift days etc) and notice little different from when I used to be clipped in, I just prefer flats.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

SPD’s are fine things but I always forgot I could pull up too.

Even after using them for 4 years! so I never even developed any sort of technique.

Probably why I’m now fine with flats I guess..

aw
    Free Member

yes I am not sure XC = spds necessarily…I find I am clipping out ‘just in case’ all the time on technical stuff.

the_lecht_rocks

i’m still into my spd’s for some stuff, less and less these days nd find spd’s a race option, no longer a trail option.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“am clipping out ‘just in case’ all the time on technical stuff.”

pussy 😛

Actually, you’re right, although for me it’s issues with clipping back in after stopping/falling on difficult ground that make me wish for flats.

But I don’t really understand why some people don’t notice increased pedalling ooomph with SPDs. Maybe they are superior flat-pedallers.

lyons
    Free Member

Ah, whats this about spds being scary on technical stuff?

Why do you want to dab anyway? Surely its faster to keep you feet on the pedals.

aw
    Free Member

not good enough to keep my feet on the pedals

🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

always makes me lauh when someoen comes allong and says somehting like “i can ride as fast on spd’s as i can on flats”. Watch F1rst, particulary the Steve Peat bit where he’s dicussing flats Vs SPD’s. Welcome back to the right way of doing things, you’r in good company.

zaskar
    Free Member

Simano DX shoes are pretty sticky with spikey flats. (cheap too)

(optional cutaway for spd and laces hidden by a flap)

MrNutt
    Free Member

something about flat pedals eh? 🙂

Vortexracing

I’m trying them again, seem to end up with big chunks missing out of my shins because of forgetting i’m not clipped in and pulling up to bunny hop.

Need to ride on flats more often to get used to them. SPD’s it would appear do make you pick up bad habits.

Busy up rivvy this morning CHL, did you enjoy your brew after the ride?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nutt, I blame you really….

thanks though. 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Vortex, I recommend taking a camping stove, kettle etc on all winter trips. (A 4 ft diameter snow ball also if possible, makes a great table.)

Something to look forwards to, tea that is

its true though, a watched kettle never boils….seemed to take forever.

Junkyard
    Free Member

rivvy was busy …you never did text me over the rims …no rush still want them.
    Prefer Spd (TIME)platforms myself Spd uphill platform downhill best of both worlds and yet annoys each camp equally

loddrik
    Free Member

Never had a problem with spds no matter how technical the terrain, bad habits…. Who cares, I will never go back to flats

SlowJohn
    Free Member

i have never ridden anything but flats admittedly i have only been riding two years but its all i know. In that time i have learned to bunny hop fairly well and other basic skills but i feel im ready to move onto cliplesss now. Whilst riding with others i really feel im losing something on the uphills i seem to use a lot more energy it might be all in my head but i want t oknow for myself. Just know im gonna pap it when throwing myself down something technical whilst being attatched to my bike 😕

Keva
    Free Member

been riding bikes for about 35yrs and never used spd’s in my life. the thought of having my feet clipped to the pedals is just weird. each to their own though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I’m a flat pedal convert’ is closed to new replies.