• This topic has 41 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • I’m a Doctor!!!!
  • Daffy

Finally, after 6.5years of part-time, self supported study (along with the birth of two kids) I have finished my Ph.D!

Thank goodness it’s over – I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone thinking of trying it.

full-time job + kids + Post graduate research does not = happiness.

When asked by my examiners “how I felt? Elated?Excited? Relieved?”  All I could think was – tired…

Cheers,

Dr. Daffy 🤓

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dr Who?

qwerty
    Free Member

Dr of what?

Daffy

I WISH I was Dr. Who.  I could go back in time and tell myself not to do it.  Dr of Engineering.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What’s up?

tonyg2003

PhD Doctorate of Philosophy

Congrats it’s often a qualification in perseverance!

wwaswas

When asked by my examiners “how I felt? Elated?Excited? Relieved?” All I could think was

Philosophical?

PhD Doctorate of Philosophy

onehundredthidiot

Well done of 5 of us that started 2 gave in to the 18month blues, 1 died in a car crash and 1 found out that he had transposed two variables in a complex equation at the start of his work and the following 34months were based on that, he walked away.

Dr 100thidiot (organic chem, specifically photochromic spirooxazines and their merocyanine forms)

SaxonRider

Well done!

Now, I don’t know what you plan for yourself post-doc, but if it is remotely academic, you’ll find the relief short-lived, because the work never really ends.

That said, the joy of achievement is much longer term.

Dr SR (research fellow who hasn’t stopped writing even though he’s got a full time job and kids)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Congratulations – now what can you give me for this rash?

ahsat

Well done.  It was hard enough doing it at the age of 21-24, 75% funded and with no responsibilities.  I have the upper most respect for anyone who can study part time, as well as self fund!

Dr of Geography (currently avoiding starting my lab work for the day)

Drac

Congratulations!

qwerty
    Free Member

Dr of Engineering.

Congratulations.

Now, tell me, if an aeroplane was on a treadmill……………

bikebouy
    Free Member

But Engineering isn’t really important is it?

*sheldonmodeoff

Huge congratulations from me, go celibate 😜

kayak23

Well done doc.

akira

Now in bike shops you can tell the mechanic you’re a Dr of engineering when you take your bike in 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Congratulations, that officially makes you an expert, bad time to become an expert though, so plusses and minuses.

stumpy01

Dr of Engineering……

What? All of it?!

MSP

I will have a big mac and fries with a strawberry shake please.

Daffy

Dr of Engineering……

What? All of it?!

That’s why it took sooo long.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Congratulations! Amazing effort with your commitments. I barely survived doing it full time, with only drinking getting in the way.

I hope (and I’m sure!) an engineering PhD is of more use than a social science PhD!

Nico
    Free Member

I have the upper most respect for anyone who can study part time, as well as self fund!

Utmost, shirley?

There was a programme on the Radio yesterday on this very subject. PhDs, I mean.

funkynick

Congratulations!!!!

It’s hard work doing it part time isn’t it… and I only did that bit when I was writing up!!!

I finally finished writing up my corrections at about 11pm on my 40th birthday… after taking far too many years to finish and almost giving up a number of times. I was just so relieved to have finished it that I can’t actually remember if I really celebrated it or not…

What field of engineering was it in? If it’s power electronics then we’ve got some jobs going… :o)

welshfarmer

Congratulations and well done from possibly one of the most over qualified sheep farmers in Mid Wales

Dr. Welshfarmer (geology)

TiRed

Congratulations, welcome to the club

Dr. TiRed (Theoretical Physics)

Formation and evolution of cosmic strings in the early universe

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sweet. Well done Doc.

MrSparkle

So you’re Daffy Doc?

footflaps

I will have a big mac and fries with a strawberry shake please.

Steady on, they don’t let the PhDs loose on the front desk straight away, a few years of tossing fries first….

natrix
    Free Member

Well done on becoming a doctor.

If i sent you a photo of my piles would you be able to recommend some cream…………….

footflaps

and 1 found out that he had transposed two variables in a complex equation at the start of his work and the following 34months were based on that, he walked away.

Isn’t his supervisor supposed to spot those sorts of things?

ourmaninthenorth

Congratulations Dr Daffy.

Now (1) get down the pub pronto and (2) make sure you change your bank cards and driving licence forthwith..!

I’m not a doctor of anything, though 13 years on I still remember the vicarious pain of living through Mrs OMTIN’s PhD…! (She’s a Professor now, so the vicarious pain of academic life never ends..!)

anagallis_arvensis

Well done. I have a phd about hay meadows.. second year was the year of foot and mouth disease so I couldnt go to any field sites!!

dpfr

Congratulations! Part time is a really tough way to do it.

scaredypants

Bah, well played Perchy – I only came here to post something like that

(good job it was a picture or I’d never have spotted that somebody had done it)

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m finding it hard enough just doing my Batchelor’s, never mind a PhD. Respect.

Also know what you mean about no more work.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does an engineer do with a PhD?

poah
    Free Member

I will have a big mac and fries with a strawberry shake please

oi – some of us work in supermarkets.

Congrats on passing – Dr Poah (biophysics).  I wrote my thesis while a stay at home dad to a 9month old.

Daffy

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does an engineer do with a PhD?

I’m an Aerospace Research Engineer – it demonstrates an expert level understanding of the field in which the majority of my research is undertaken.

In terms of salary, it makes no difference, but it makes it easier for me to jump ship to academia if I were so inclined.

angeldust
    Free Member

Congratulations, it’s a big achievement that nobody can take away from you.  Ignore those with chips on their shoulders (and inevitably, no qualifications) who don’t think it’s means anything. It means a great deal.

gordy3
    Free Member

Congratulations Daffy also on the second child.  What have you got?

Daffy

Hey Gordon *waves*.  A little girl – Ophelia.  14 months old.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘I’m a Doctor!!!!’ is closed to new replies.