• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bol.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I'm a bit confused about Biomass boilers and RHI tarriffs.
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

Do pellet and wood burning boilers qualify for the feedback tariff or is it just pellet burning ones?

The heating guy I spoke to said just pellet burners do but the tree surgeon I was speaking to today said a duel fuel boiler does as well.

Could someone in the know, let me know?

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

whichever unit you go for it will be on the MCS certified register if it is approved for RHI

I have a combined log/pellet boiler that has not been certified by the manufacturer. I installed mine long before RHIs and knew that it would be a long shot for me to get RHI

from a very cursory search Im not sur eI can find a dual fuel boiler thats eligible but Euroheat allude to one, but dont seem to give any detail.

timber

Our sawyer is getting RHI on a batch boiler, chucking in his slab wood.
    No idea about dual fuel though but guess if the output is measurable and the machine listed…

Smudger666

Dual fuel – logs and pellets is allowed so long as the appliance is on the register.

silverbirchdan
    Free Member

My mcz red 24 pellet boilet is eligible for rhi payments, however we cant get them unless we have cavity wall insulation, which our house isnt suitable for. Bloody gutted.

millzy
    Free Member

Pellet boilers , log boilers log/pellet boilers, are all eligible for the commercial and domestic RHI, as long as the boiler is on the compliance register.

Silverbirchdan, sounds like the company that installed your system hasn’t got a clue what it’s on about…
    Why can’t you have cavity wall insulation? If it’s because you don’t have cavities then your property should be exempt to that rule…

Little confused there by the way.

Oh and I work for a company that has installed 200 of the darn things! There are a lot of companies out there seriously cocking things up!

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, I’ll do a search for the list.

Can you know tell me what the deal is with hot water, do they do one but. a day and that’s stored in a tank? I just thninv about the summer months when the heating will be off.

I’m coming from a terraced house in London to one with only mains electric in almost the middle of nowhere, so there’s a lot to learn.

millzy
    Free Member

They work, basically same the way as conventional condensing boilers work, so you would have a hot water cylinder that is heated via the boiler..

So in the winter the boiler is heating hot water and central heating and in the summer it’s just heating the hot water.
    Most people that have log boilers would just use an immersion in the summer to avoid the hassle of loading the boiler up!

timber

Our sawyer has a 5000l tank on his, but provides for 2 farmhouses and plans to run 2 kilns and possibly the lambing shed.
    Got a pellet boiler in a 4 bed staff house, pre RHI, which has a 200l tank from memory and runs like an old oil and hot water tank system. Just remove the demand for CH over summer.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for the information everyone.

Stoner
    Free Member

just to add to the thread, eyerideit…

I popped into a local green energy installers to pick up some solar fluid today and whil ethere asked them about dual fuel and RHI. They confirmed that there are very few MCS compliant, but that the one they could offer was the Froeling SP Dual. Pricing is always very vague, but looking at a german site they seem to be priced around £11k for the boiler. You would need to add a thermal store/buffer as log burning is an “uncontrolled” burn and the 100+litres int he boiler isnt enough to handle it.

http://www.sanitaer-wolf.com/Heizung-oxid/Froeling/FROELING-SP-DUAL-Kombikessel-15-kW.html

silverbirchdan
    Free Member

millzy – Member
    Pellet boilers , log boilers log/pellet boilers, are all eligible for the commercial and domestic RHI, as long as the boiler is on the compliance register.

Silverbirchdan, sounds like the company that installed your system hasn’t got a clue what it’s on about…
    Why can’t you have cavity wall insulation? If it’s because you don’t have cavities then your property should be exempt to that rule…

Little confused there by the way.

Oh and I work for a company that has installed 200 of the darn things! There are a lot of companies out there seriously cocking things up!

No, weve got cavities, but in order to qualify for RHI payments, we need cavity wall insulation, according to OFGEM. What we now need is a RICS registered chartered surveyor to confirm our cavities arent suitable before applying. A totla pain in the arse.
    The company that installed the boiler were ace by the way!

mrben100
    Free Member

We’ve found these people fairly helpful with this kind of thing in the past.

http://www.ecoinstaller.net/renewable-heat-incentive/

I think they’ve got a video explaining it somewhere on the tube.

eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s a sustainable minefield this boiler lark. It all depends on whether we can insulate the house enough to quality for the tariffs in the first place.

I’m hoping digging out/insulating the ground floor with underfloor heating throughout the ground floor, replacing all the windows and fully insulation the loft will be enough.

Is a points calculation somewhere or is it all relative to the property in question?

bol

I looked into this a year or so ago when we moved into our house. We have no mains gas, and it had a huge ancient economy 7 wet heating system. I did the figures and realised that it would take me most of the rest of my life to see a return on the investment, even with the incentives. Don’t throw out what’s there until you’ve lived with it for a bit. Our electric system is 100% efficient and has got another 25+ years in it as the only moving part is a fan.

eyerideit
    Free Member

@bol we’ve got a oil fired Rayburn that does the water and electric heaters in each room. The wibdows aren’t great either, the original sash windows are in goosed and the plastic ones are pretty cheap and nearly all the units have blown.

The house hasn’t been lived in for over a year and looks like it needs a right going over. The 7 years of RHI pavements should pay for the heating, plumbing installation and contribute to a chunk of the new windows. If we get it for 12 years as I’ve heard someone local has the tarriffs should cover all the work carrierd out to make it qualify which will mean we only have to spring got the kitchen and bathrooms.

Plus if we can wait until next June we’ll qualify for 5% VAT on the whole job.

bol

Yep, oil fired Rayburn is about as uneconomical as they come. Ignore me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I'm a bit confused about Biomass boilers and RHI tarriffs.’ is closed to new replies.