Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Illness due to riding – advice please?
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

I would like to ride everyday, but find that if I ride for an hour or so at a decent pace (pushing myself but not totally flat out racing) for 5/6 days straight then I get a sore throat, which leads to chest infection.. basically the riding seems to leave me run down, and I get ill.. anyone else get this? I eat loads, sleep as best I can, don’t have a stressful job/life, and leave plenty of time to recover after illness.. just want to be able to ride most days without getting ill. Can anyone recommend any dietry supplements/advice etc to avoid this? (other than to just stop riding!) Or are multi vits/minerals/supplements etc just pseudo science? Thanks in advance.

VanHalen

you need recovery days. you can ride everyday but some days will needs to be easy(er) days.

simondbarnes

You need to build up gradually. You can’t just start riding every day at a hard pace and expect your body to be fine with it.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks guys.. I work from home, so that’s the main reason for wanting to ride every day as it gets me out the house.. I used to race (admittedly 10 years ago) and used to ride every day then (am 33 now & about a stone heavier).. so what would you recommend.. ride 3 days, 1 day off?

Trimix
    Free Member

Why do you get a sore throat ?

Dirt in you water bottle / camel back / swallow too many flies ?

Is it just a sore throat or is that a symptom.

VanHalen

you have to listen to your body. if i feel knackered i push less hard or rest.

there is no specific magic formula as there are so many variables, stress, hydration, effort, overall fitness, nutrition etc.

Brown
    Free Member

I used to ride hard 4-5 days a week and got ill a lot. My diet mainly consisted of pasta and pizza.
    Now, for various reasons, I only ride once or twice a week (but do plenty of other stuff) and eat a shed-load more fruit and veg than I used to. I’ve been ill twice in the last 2.5 years (which I’m unsurprisingly happy about). Could be the lack of riding and not pushing myself so hard, could be what I’m eating. Could be both. Dunno what my point is, probably to try eating a load of veg. Might work, might not. Worth a try though.

allan23
    Free Member

Supplements are pretty much not necessary for most people. Just eat properly.

Is it a real chest infection diagnosed by a GP or just a cough and excessive mucus thanks to irritated lungs?

Are you allergic to something, do you get hayfever. Do you smoke?

fasthaggis

but find that if I ride for an hour or so at a decent pace (pushing myself but not totally flat out racing) for 5/6 days straight then I get a sore throat, which leads to chest infection..

It may have less to do with the cycling and more with the environment you are riding in

Where are you riding,town or country?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it a real chest infection diagnosed by a GP or just a cough and excessive mucus thanks to irritated lungs?

This was going to be my question?

If it is you should not exercise for a week or two after the antibiotics have got rid of it, and then build up gradually.

Going fast isn’t always the best way to get fit either.

If you are getting multiple diagnosed chest infections, then you need further investigation

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys 🙂

I don’t tend to bother drinking much water when I’m riding as it’s normally about 1 hour riding time – I don’t feel too dehydrated, plus drink when I get home.

Re: chest infection – normally starts with a really sore throat, turns into blocked sinuses and headache a day or so later, and then spend the next few days with an elevated heart beat, coughing up stuff, then better about 10 days or so after the initial sore throat. I only really get this when I’ve been riding a lot – the rest of the time I’m fine.

I live in the country, right by the sea so the air is pretty clean – don’t ride near traffic, it’s all pretty quiet.

Will try taking on more veg – I do tend to eat pretty healthy but will try and up the veg & fruit intake

Edit: Nope, no allegies that I’m aware of, and don’t smoke. I drink once a week, but often go without. Drink a fair bit of coffee, that’s it!

I don’t feel particularly tired, maybe slightly aching legs if I’ve gone hard the previous day, but apart from that riding makes me feel really good, full of energy and happy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So its not a chest infection then, its just a run down cold 😀

Try easing off and letting your body recover.

If you still get colds then you definitely need to go and see the GP to rule out asthma etc.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

FunkyDunc: So what’s the difference between the two (chest infection and cold)? I always assumed that cos you spend a good week coughing up stuff from your lungs that it was a chest infection, whereas a cold was just sinus stuff and headaches?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m not a medic so I would seek their advice.

However a chest infection (Pneumonia) is bacterial infection and has to be treated with antibiotics or you could die. Its diagnosed either by taking a sample and getting results from a lab, or via a chest xray.

Potentially you could have a chest infection that you are fighting, but then never fully get rid of because you don’t give your body chance to recover.

As I say though I am no medic, seek medical advice if easing off doesn’t work.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks FunkyDunc, much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Illness due to riding – advice please?’ is closed to new replies.