Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Illegal schools…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…what is it they don’t like about British values ??

Mind boggling

Defiant head vows to keep unregistered school open https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50071142

Discuss(ted)

trailwagger
    Free Member

Charlotte Church ?

fossy

DBS Checked staff
    QTS Qualified Teachers

Doubt it.

Any parent who sends a kid there needs their own heads examining. By all means, send your kid to any School, but it must be fully Ofsted checked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

May well be doing all sorts of things wrong. But theres a difference between not having a procedure in place and actually doing something wrong.

It may be no worse than the average CoE or RC school. Sounds like the religious element was being done at the mosque anyway. Just run by ammetures with no clue about Ofsted.

On the other hand, grab your pitchforks, it’s clearly a terrorist training camp because it’s associated with Islam. 🙄

JAG

It should be shut down because it has been established purely to indoctrinate children with religion whilst pretending to educate them. Any religious biased school should be shut down for the same reason.

The fact that this particular school is poorly run and not doing other stuff ‘by the book’ matters not one jot.

ogri
    Free Member

Empowering young minds to believe that Sharia is the only way!
    I believe there’s a reason the parents sent their children there and its nothing to do with secular values.
    Close it!

chewkw
    Free Member

Because they fear losing their religious identity.

philjunior
    Free Member

Checks should be done. But could I care that they indoctrinate children with a particular religion? Nope, cos I’m tolerant, and not a fascist. Religion is nothing to do with the state, and if people want to educate their children according to a religion that’s up to them, not what the state (or posters on STW) consider acceptable. Provided it doesn’t preach antivax or flat earth stuff which, given the historical importance of Islamic scholars to as variety of scientific fields, I doubt it does.

trailwagger
    Free Member

It should be shut down because it has been established purely to indoctrinate children with religion whilst pretending to educate them. Any religious biased school should be shut down for the same reason.

That’s nearly all primary schools in the UK then?

Cougar

That’s nearly all primary schools in the UK then?

Yeah, but that’s the good kind of indoctrination.

TBH I’d expect most “religious” primary schools in the UK pay little more than lip service to the goddy aspects. The lord’s prayer and a bit of kumbayaing, then crack on with your crayons.

anagallis_arvensis

QTS Qualified Teachers

Not necessary in most schools now they are academies.

philjunior
    Free Member

TBH I’d expect most “religious” primary schools in the UK pay little more than lip service to the goddy aspects.

Dunno, I definitely remember the kids’ primary school headmistress (now moved on) talking about praying to God who “definitely exists”… I was kind of taken aback, particularly as it’s a non denominational school.

I have nothing against religion, but I don’t want my kids to be indoctrinated (if others do, that’s up to them).

Was this the one on radio 4 where there were books in the staff room advocating beating children if they didn’t pray and insisting that a wife must always submit to her husband?

The one where they insist they are only open for a 12 hours a week, but the time tables on the wall added up to 31 hours a week?

ogri
    Free Member

Philjunior,if people want to teach their offspring religion they can take them to their favourite church or mosque.The state shouldn’t be used to pay people to tell lies to children.

surfer
    Free Member

Provided it doesn’t preach antivax or flat earth

But the belief in an invisible sky fairy is OK… I’m confused

Cougar

I guess the difference between religious belief and anti-vaxxers is that (usually) only one of those two things kills people.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s probably nothing compared with the Islamic college Dar ul Uloom in Holcombe Brook; a visitor of mine from Pakistan was absolutely gobsmacked when he saw the place and couldn’t believe Britain allows it – it’s a training seminary for the Saudi Arabian Deobandi movement, which is well to the right of Gengis Khan.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Was this the one on radio 4 where there were books in the staff room advocating beating children if they didn’t pray and insisting that a wife must always submit to her husband?

The one where they insist they are only open for a 12 hours a week, but the time tables on the wall added up to 31 hours a week?

Yes, I heard this interview too.
    She did not do a great job of defending the school to say the least!
    It sounded horrendous and most people seemed to agree it should be shut down but they didn’t have the powers.

How do you balance the tolerance of religion, with the religions intolerance to LGBQT education for instance? and I’d doubt the kids will receive much education about other religions or atheism. But then if the parents don’t agree with all that don’t they have the right to send their kids to a (private) school that doesn’t teach it? Can you even have that discussion without the islamaphobes and racists jumping in and claiming our “race” is being wiped out etc.?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How do you balance the tolerance of religion, with the religions intolerance to LGBQT education for instance? and I’d doubt the kids will receive much education about other religions or atheism.

Whilst that’s possible, it’s not mentioned in the article so let’s not prejudice and stereotype or you’re sinking to the level of the idea you’re complaining about.

Given the lack of information it could also be a group of refugee teachers who haven’t got the paperwork to work within the UK system so setup on their own. I’m not saying that’s likely, but the article doesn’t give much background.

there were books in the staff room advocating beating…………….and insisting that a wife must always submit to her husband?

They found a copy of 50 shades?

kerley
    Free Member

I guess the difference between religious belief and anti-vaxxers is that (usually) only one of those two things kills people.

Yes, religious belief has caused millions of deaths. Don’t think a belief in flat earth has killed anyone though so presumably that is okay to teach?

Basically they are free to teach whatever their parents want except for some stuff where people don’t want such as anti vax and flat earth. Confusing isn’t it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Which particular British values was it the didn’t like?

jekkyl

Those niqabs would be handy if you have a cold, you could just blow your snotters into the cloth right in front of your nose.

son-of-mike
    Free Member

Since the topic of antivaxx has cropped up intersecting with schools, did you know that the teachings behind Steiner Waldorf (anthroposophy) have resulted in them being recognised by the NHS as an under-vaccinated population and that researchers traced the spread of a measles strain between some of these communities? (Steiner proposed that febrile illnesses, like measles, were related to the child’s spiritual development).

Sources:
    Section 1, 1.1, para 3 here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/637338/PHE_Measles_guidance_August_2017.pdf
    And this paper:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11117961
    Out of the 117 confirmed measles cases in their study group 113 had not been vaccinated (2 vaccinated, 2 uncertain). To me, that is a direct risk to the children and their local communities.

And yet, there are 2 Steiner schools in Scotland and a few in England, although some of them have had problems which the Guardian and the British Humanist Society have reported on.

How these schools aren’t shut down for spiritualist/occult nonsense I have no idea.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Those niqabs would be handy if you have a cold, you could just blow your snotters into the cloth right in front of your nose.

You’re Boris Johnson and I claim my five pounds.

But serioulsy, lets not start the casual racism up eh?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Illegal schools…’ is closed to new replies.