Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Ikea Symfonisk or a little amp and bookshelf speakers?
  • Premier Icon toby1

Why the hate for the Sonos app? I have no issues with it.

Personally I tested it with a single play3, it often couldn’t find the speaker, even though music would be playing from it. The UI isn’t great (but the Yamaha ones not amazing either), it just didn’t work well for me. Other people might find it fine.

Premier Icon andylc
    Free Member

In my experience from several years of using Sonos, any issues you have with it will always be down to the quality of your internet and Wi-fi. The app itself works faultlessly as long as both of these are working properly. For instance I regularly had issues when I was using a Wi-fi extender, but whenever I did I checked and I was also unable to browse the internet properly. Changing to a Wi-fi mesh network sorted it out. It would be even better again if I had fibre but living at the end of a 0.5km private road has put an end to the option.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

Just a thought: You might find it difficult to position actual hifi speakers around a desk based work room. Either you have them either side of the desk which is not ideal because you’re sitting between them; you have them behind you; or you have them to your left or right. Not great for listening in my experience. Hifi is designed to be listened to in the ‘correct’ setting. Not that it’s going to be bad, particularly, if you use any of these setups, but you’re wasting space and possibly money IMO.

So I think the best option is something small but good that you can out on the desk or a shelf close to you. The volume remains low which is good for the rest of the house, and for me it seems more cosy and intimate, and somehow more appropriate for close up listening.

I’ve found that the audio equipment should match the listening style. So I have a nice HiFi in the living room, but in the kitchen I have an Echo which sounds rubbish next to the HiFi. But somehow when you are washing up, cooking or having breakfast it’s appropriate.

Premier Icon derek_starship
    Free Member

A pair of Sony SRS-Xb21s would be another option. You can “party” connect them and there is a decent app.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

Whatever system you use there are always drawbacks. Too big, too quiet, loads of cables, mono Vs stereo, recharging etc

Just choose the option that works best for your needs

Premier Icon greentricky
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of some Edifier R1700BT, sound good to my ears for the money

Premier Icon footflaps

It’s just super clunky compared with Spotify, which is a much nicer app to use to find and browse music etc. It also refuses to work until you install the latest updates etc which is super annoying as its completely unnecessary to do that. Very poor UI design.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

I can confirm that the AudioPro BT5 is a nice bit of kit with excellent sound. Ideal for my home office.

Premier Icon mrjmt
    Free Member

Quick update on this…

I ended up winning the old skool hifi stuff from ebay, including a Yamaha a-320 amp. (also including a K-222 twin cassette deck, T-520 tuner and a Kenwood SL-PD827 5-cd changer!). He also threw in some Boston Acoustics A40 mk2 speakers. All for AU$120 (£65).

Now, when I got home I took the grilles of the speakers, and all of the foam on the woofers has perished and fallen apart – not surprising as when I took a woofer out the manufacture date stamped on it was 1980! Not a massive issue as they were free anyway, so I’ve ordered some new foam for them and will experiment in a DIY refoam. I did message the seller to let him know and he refunded me AU$60, meaning I got the lot for just over £30!
    I then ordered the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR recommended earlier in this thread.

Once the speakers arrived, I set them up on my desk, which is fairly wide (3x 24″ monitors) but only ‘normal’ depth. This put them quite close to me. I connected them to the Yamaha amp, and connected my phone to the amp using my Cyrus Soundkey as a DAC.
    They sounded horrible. I had that terrible ‘ive spend money and its a load of crap’ feeling. The treble was really harsh and the bass was severely lacking.

The harsh top end I put down to being sat too close to the speakers, so moved them to the other side of the room. Then when I looked at the frequency response chart for the Cyrus I noticed a really weird drop at the lower frequencies, not noticable through my headphones but I wondered if this is what was causing the lack of bass. So I dusted off the tuner that came with the old bits from ebay and sure enough, the bass was back if I used that as a source!
    So I now had two problems, I couldn’t use the cyrus as it sounded crap through the amp, and also the amp was now at the other side of the room anyway so it was a PITA to get up to adjust volume etc. and I couldn’t connect my phone to it anyway.
    Then I remembered I had an old Amazon echo dot in the garage, so I dug that out and connected it up to the amp. Bingo! Great sound (not sure what the DAC is in it but its certainly good enough for my purpose) and wireless operation, I can either shout at Alexa across the room, or use spotify connect to stream from my phone.

So, it took a while to get there but I’m happy now.

And I’ve got my next project sorted in the form of re-foaming the A40s, I might pair them with a Class D amp and use them in the garage.

Premier Icon franksinatra

Constantly looses devices
    Albums sometimes show all tracks, sometimes sites only one track
    Search function is random
    Browse/discover is not smart
    Can’t play direct from Apple Music

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.