Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • iGoogle – how to replace it?
  • brooess
    Free Member

iGoogle is being shut down and I want to find out how to replace its functionality – Google’s own instructions are clear as mud!

I use it for research purposes at work to keep an eye on news, trends and technology developments – I have a load of RSS feeds set up for the websites I want to regularly review.

I’ve been asked to set up a google account for a team of four people at work to be able to give them the same functionality as I have for myself ie: views of a number of websites to help them keep in touch with new stories and product developments.

It seems daft to do this thru igoogle if it’s being shut down in a few months (November)

Any ideas?

jam-bo

I use feedly in its place.

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks. Looks like I need to download some software to do that (fine for personal use at home but work won’t let me do that…)
    Anyone any ideas for getting round that?

nickjb
    Free Member

From the message I got they implied the same functionality was built into chrome but I’m not convinced.

DezB
    Free Member

I started a similar thread a year ago (thinking it was being ended in 2012 😳 )
    Haven’t found a replacement yet 🙁
    Didn’t like Feedly.

DezB
    Free Member

Quick er, Google on it

. Protopage and Netvibes, come fairly close, score well for ease of use and access to social media and news feeds. My Yahoo isn’t too bad either but if you want to avoid ads and banners try myway. Finally there’s the Google Chrome browser.

More here – http://www.howtogeek.com/129155/6-alternatives-to-igoogle-for-personalized-homepages/

brooess
    Free Member

I love the STW hive mind 🙂
    Thanks Dez.

<at last I’ve found justification to be on STW in work time!>

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm.. Netvibes looks good..

This Chrome option.. any ideas what they’re on about??

bearGrease

I’m going for netvibes. Annoying thing is I migrated from netvibes to igoogle a while back and now find myself going the other way. Have tried a few test OPML export/imports and netvibes does a decent job.

annebr
    Free Member

I suppose they mean Chrome has apps that you can select and use as additional tabs in the browser.

They probably have a RSS feed app that you could use etc.

But you’d still need to install Chrome on each persons PC and possibly set each one up with the same apps.

edit: they seem to call them widgets not apps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘iGoogle – how to replace it?’ is closed to new replies.