Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • if your life / body had an off switch would you have pressed it?
  • brakes
    Free Member

what about a ‘skip to bike ride’ button?
    or a ‘skip to fumble with Cheryl Cole’ button?

arrpee
    Free Member

One or two of the responses here suggest the need for an “Engage Basic Human Empathy” button.

For me, a “pause” button for the rest of the world that would allow me go for an 8 hour ride on my lunch break.

To the OP, others with more a more informed perspective than mine have already given advice, so I’ll just say that I hope you feel better soon.

singletrackmind

I wonder if it wouldnt be more humane . Not now , but say if you suffer from an illness or a stroke for example. If you are dependant on others just to exist , and there is next to nothing you can do for yourself. No walk in the woods on a frosty morning ,No bikes, No pub , No holidays . Just stuck in bed or in a chair with a remote control and daytime TV .
    I personaly would suffer , humiliation and dependancy on others would not suit me.
    So maybe yes, I would see myself checking out early if there was an off switch and I could not be reset to full working order .
    apologies to those who are carers either for family or as a carreer. Im sure you are very much appreciated ,if not rewarded monitarily for the work that you do for others.

felt
    Free Member

That 0.1% of doubt is your self reset button.

Use it wisely.

vickypea
    Free Member

I would like a reset button rather than an off switch. I have SAD and hoping that my light box will help with the reset. 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Nah. Rewind would be better.

jamj1974

OP. I would have felt like pressing it and have felt like it recently. I probably will feel like it again.

The key thing for me OP is that these feelings – even if they have lasted a long time, have passed and will pass again.

I hope if you are in a negative place that you get some relief soon.

hora
    Free Member

TuckerUK before you do could you transfer your special powers to me, Highlander style 8)

metalheart
    Free Member

Yes.

Northwind

singletrackmind – Member

I wonder if it wouldnt be more humane . Not now , but say if you suffer from an illness or a stroke for example. If you are dependant on others just to exist , and there is next to nothing you can do for yourself. No walk in the woods on a frosty morning ,No bikes, No pub , No holidays . Just stuck in bed or in a chair with a remote control and daytime TV .

Yup. I’ve watched family members die on the inside… And I remember waking up after surgery and not being able to move my legs and just thinking “Right, that’s probably temporary, if it’s not then I’ll put my affairs in order and get it done with”. Obviously very happy it didn’t come to that. But tbh a switch would be convenient but if the mild inconvenience involved in killing yourself some less straightforward puts you off, maybe you’re not that motivated to do it.

And that’s no criticism of people who can live that way in case it could be misinterpreted, just not for me.

teasel
    Free Member

I regularly feel oblivion would be the most suitable state for me. The only thing that stops me getting there early is the fact that it’ll happen all too soon anyway.

Happy days, eh…

🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

TuckerUK before you do could you transfer your special powers to me, Highlander style

You wouldn’t want them, trust me. With those special powers come great responsibility. 😉

You could buy some Wild Stallion aftershave and be 99% there!
    (need to have seen cult classic ‘Party Party’ to appreciate relevance)

hora
    Free Member

TuckerUK I overheard a bloke say that to his c5yr old son. I said excuse me thats great, who said that? ‘Spiderman the movie’…ah

cruzcampo
    Free Member

OP, when you feel like this, have a strong coffee, and go to the gym or hit the trails. Clarity and endorphins will ensue 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yes, If I had such a button I would have pressed it.

OP, when you feel like this, have a strong coffee, and go to the gym or hit the trails. Clarity and endorphins will ensue

Not in my experience. As Jamj1974 says, the key is to know that it will pass. But what you won’t know is when. IMO telling people do xyz and they will feel better, will often make them feel worse when they find doing xyz hasn’t helped at that moment in time.

Northwind

STW knows hyperbole and a half mostly because of the Alot I think but the first part of this:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

is pretty wise stuff IMO. Depressed people should read it. Not depressed people should read it.

Kryton57

+1 for a Pause button. Pausing is something I don’t know how to do. Today/this week is a classic example. I can barely move with mental tiredness.

Nah, even with my current depression there is too many good things in my life and too many people I would not want to leave behind.
    Tempting though.
    Same really for a reset button – the people I have in my life are generally good people and would I get to the same point with a reset?
    Cheers
    Jamie

Did I miss something? I may have been slow but is Danny B actually Jamie?

Hopefully not, i like the Danny B character real or no.

Kryton57

Not that I don’t like Jamie btw.

gordimhor

Never wanted an off button but plenty things I would like to ‘erase and rewind’ 😉

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…the key is to know that it will pass.

Unfortunately it won’t. Tomorrow there will still be just as many dishonest and/or uncaring and/or ignorant humans getting in my way as there were today. Ad infinitum.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

It’s quite surprisimg how much lying in the back of an ambulance with the blue light flashing, a gas mask on and wires and crap stuck to you can make you realise how much you appreciate some things.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

what a link!!! only read a bit, epic stuff 8) 😯

transmute
    Free Member

…the key is to know that it will pass.

Unfortunately it won’t. Tomorrow there will still be just as many dishonest and/or uncaring and/or ignorant humans getting in my way as there were today. Ad infinitum.

And just as many decent folks as today too. The ratio might still be crap but it isn’t in actuality as bleak as mine and/or yours brains will make out.
    Not that this matters when you are in the fug of the ‘really run out of fight to give a toss about anything’ state.
    You can still be perfectly objective about the positives and negatives of your situation/ life/ whatever and not care a jot if you blink out of existence.
    I just need to find excuses to delay the point until a chink of light happens to distract me from the dark. If I’m lucky I might get a string of them and start the next slide from a higher level.

But if it’s just humans that tick you off then keep away from them!

Also, if everyone you meet is unpleasant then maybe they’re all having the same crappy experience?

Northwind, that’s a brilliant link! Thanks for providing a chink of light in this dark corner.
    (and that scaring people with your not wanting to continue jokes, Never goes down as well as it sounds in your head! :D)

transmute
    Free Member

As for the off button, far too temptingly easy.
    Now a boost button for renewing the power to keep fighting when you’ve got nothing left to battle with?
    Sweet mother of bunnies yes!

Peyote
    Free Member

Not sure I’d press an off switch, as others have said it would leave too much of a trail of devasation behind with others lives. I do take comfort in suicide being the ultimate “get out clause” if it does get too much, but I doubt I’d ever actually go through with it.

One thing I often day dream about though is the possibility of rewriting history without me in it. A bit like “The Inquisitor” episode on Red Dwarf. Giving the millions of sperm/eggs the chance that I got.

jamj1974

You can’t know this for sure and this might not be the OP’s problem.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You can’t know this for sure and this might not be the OP’s problem.

I don’t know that unicorns, mermaids and ghosts aren’t real for sure, but as a semi-educated semi-intelligent person I use experience mixed with known facts and probability to come to that conclusion. Quod erat demonstrandum.

I wasn’t suggesting it was the OPs problem, I was merely pointing out an undeniable fact.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

And just as many decent folks as today too.

Quite probably.

The ratio might still be crap but it isn’t in actuality as bleak as mine and/or yours brains will make out.

I think that’s very subjective, and obviously related to the situation one is in at any given time.

It’s quite surprisimg how much lying in the back of an ambulance with the blue light flashing, a gas mask on and wires and crap stuck to you can make you realise how much you appreciate some things.

You shouldn’t be surprised to learn that not everyone who has that experience comes to that same conclusion. People are different, Vive la différence!

jamj1974

I don’t know that unicorns, mermaids and ghosts aren’t real for sure, but as a semi-educated semi-intelligent person I use experience mixed with known facts and probability to come to that conclusion. Quod erat demonstrandum.
    I wasn’t suggesting it was the OPs problem, I was merely pointing out an undeniable fact.[/quote

From your experience and perspective perhaps.

hora
    Free Member

I visited the Osteopath recently. Try it – its amazing how ‘new’ you feel post-visit.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i’d opt for a turbo button.

cinnamon_girl

Yes. I felt like that 4 years ago and it was only my bikes, left scattered around the house, that kept me going. In my mind, bikes meant smiles.

The downside of my experience is that I’ve become a right argumentative cah as well as totally distrustful of certain people.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dream about alt-tab. So I could switch to a different life whilst my body and brain continue with this one. Not that mine’s bad, but it’d be nice to be able to try different ones.

spockrider
    Free Member

Thought about switching off completely a few times when life sucked (from birth to adult) and I got ill. Glad I didn’t have that button as I would have missed some better times.

A Pause switch on a timer every now and then would have had a lot of use. And a Tardis for quick escape and unravelling mystery.

i’d opt for a turbo button.

My body already starts to look like that switch was flicked. I now need slow trickle feed into a switch back.
    Tried a turbo switch on the brain once, drains too many cells and they’re hard to replace when obsolete 😯

emma82
    Free Member

Yes, 4 weeks ago yesterday I would have. A couple of times since again too but but feeling a bit better now with a lovely snuggly puppy to cuddle.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘if your life / body had an off switch would you have pressed it?’ is closed to new replies.