Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • If you were to work close to Birmingham New Street Station……
  • spot2008
    Free Member

where would you live and why?

I’ve the potential to work out of our Birmingham office and am looking at areas we could move to. Needs to be close to good schools, good train links to Birmingham New Street and of course great mountain biking.

We’ve already looked at the Telford area; just wondering if there were other areas we should consider

gastromonkey
    Free Member

What about Cannock?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Malvern. Pretty, cheap, great riding

prawny

Cannock Chase!! Houses are cheapish (not as cheap as they were mind) transport to Brum is good and cheap, it’s cycleable (I do it daily) and they mountain biking is right there. I’ve been know to do a lap of the dog first thing in the morning and then ridden to work andbeen at my desk for 9 without touching a car.

But not brilliant for schools. Nevre dod mE enny harm tho.

Jakester
    Free Member

Lichfield. Though if you grew up there like I did, your views may differ. 😀

bensales
    Free Member

Solihull.

Although it fails on the mtb.

And it’s not a ‘would I live there’. I do, and have for 30 years. I’ve seen no reason to move despite working all over the country. I have great schools, shops, and probably the best transport links in the country.

mrhoppy

The issue with Telford is the infrequency and size of the trains, realistically there are 2 fairly small trains to get you in and out at a sensible time. I’ve often struggled to get a space at all on the ones home. That and Telford is a bit of an odd place to live.

Cannock/Stafford area probably a better bet.

lunge

Kidderminster/Droitwich gives you access to the Worcestershire countryside and the likes of the Wyre Forest and Malvern easily enough. You’re also on the right side of The Midlands to get into Wales if you so desire. The train goes to Snow Hill or Moor Street but I’m sure that’s no issue. Worcester would do the same though the commute would be a bit longer.

You could also look north, Derby is only 35 mins on the train and opens up The Peak District.

Personally, I’d avoid Telford and Cannock as frankly I think they’re dives.

Alex

We had this eight years ago. Tried Worcester, Kiddy then out a bit further Malvern (which I really like but we couldn’t find anything suitable) and ended up near Ross 😉 That’s quite a long way out but the train service is really cheap (if a bit crowded).

I really wanted to find something near Worcs – 40 mins ish to brum but good mtb on the door.

bails

Solihull.

Although it fails on the mtb.

And it’s not a ‘would I live there’. I do, and have for 30 years. I’ve seen no reason to move despite working all over the country. I have great schools, shops, and probably the best transport links in the country.

I grew up in Solihull, moved (not far) away mostly because I couldn’t afford to buy there.

It’s nice enough. Rubbish for MTB though. Somewhere down towards the Lickeys, Malverns and Wyre forest would be better for biking but you’d possibly be giving up the transport links and general suburban “nice”ness.

Where do you ride Ben? I found a few little bits of singletrack (/footpath) from Hillfields, through the golf course, over the M42 and towards Knowle, but that was about it, unless I did a ride along the canal, but even then the ride was just along the canal, rather than to get anywhere else.

votchy
    Free Member

Bromsgrove is just south of Brum, train to new street, short ride to the lickeys and Clent, 20 min car journey to wyre, right side of brum for Welsh wales trips, good motorway links M5 and M42 too. Can ride in to Birmingham on quietish roads too.

lunge

Getting a tad geeky on trains here, Stourbridge is as far west as you can be and still get a West Midlands train pass, any further out (Bromsgrove, kidderminster) and the price goes up quite a bit.

Stourbridge isn’t a bad place to be actually, you can be at Clent in 10 mins, Wyre and Lickey in 30 mins, Malvern a touch more. You’re also 30 mins into central Brum.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Barnt Green is at the foot of the Lickey Hills and a short direct train to New Street. A nice village too.

jekkyl

Stafford. despite all the traffic lights it’s not too bad. Good train and road links, the M6 serves it with no less than 2 junctions. Houses are cheaps. Good shops, restaurants, cinema’s etc. It isn’t birmingham itself! Plenty of good road biking to the flat lands to the north and Cannock 20mins drive away and there’s also a ton of bridleways and sustrans paths for easier stuff.

bensales
    Free Member

bails – Member

Where do you ride Ben? I found a few little bits of singletrack (/footpath) from Hillfields, through the golf course, over the M42 and towards Knowle, but that was about it, unless I did a ride along the canal, but even then the ride was just along the canal, rather than to get anywhere else.

I roadie. I gave up on trying to find off-road stuff local years ago, apart from the odd jaunt on the canal using the CX bike, most of the local bridleways are unrideable or don’t go anywhere. Not surprising given it’s an urban area. Now if I want to mtb I drive somewhere, but most of my riding is road because once you hop over the M42 you have gorgeous Warwickshire countryside to ride in.

LeeW

M42 you have gorgeous Warwickshire countryside to ride in.

Whilst it is nice it’s bluuming flat!

rOcKeTdOg

Bromsgrove is just south of Brum, train to new street, short ride to the lickeys and Clent, 20 min car journey to wyre, right side of brum for Welsh wales trips, good motorway links M5 and M42 too. Can ride in to Birmingham on quietish roads too.

noo, it’s rubbish there, trails packed with too many riders and the locals are miserable

rsmythe – Member
    Barnt Green is at the foot of the Lickey Hills and a short direct train to New Street. A nice village too.

see above

😉

M42 you have gorgeous Warwickshire countryside to ride in.
    Whilst it is nice it’s bluuming flat!

and there is little if any off road/bridleways

Scamper
    Free Member

Some where like Barnt Green – good Primary School with Nursery next door. Lickey Hills etc but you must buy a fat bike 😀 I thought it was posh until I had to move to Surrey

jimdubleyou

Barnt Green is at the foot of the Lickey Hills

Wife’s cousins live near Barnt Green.

Lickey End always makes me chuckle.

rOcKeTdOg

Bell End Belbroughton

Bell End is a village in the English county of Worcestershire. It is situated approximately 3 kilometres south-east of Hagley on the A491, north of Bromsgrove and close to Kidderminster, Stourbridge and Halesowen

addy6402

From the Lickeys it’s a 35min (road) or 45min (almost traffic-free) ride to central Brum, depending on your location. Go for the Barnt Green end if you want to walk to the train station and have a village atmosphere. Easy MWay access and road/mtb rides from the front door.

alanl
    Free Member

Bensales – is that you from UKRM?
    If so, I had a tent off you 5 years or so ago.
    I’d agree Solihull area is OK, but property prices do reflect that.
    I’d be more to the outskirts of Sutton Coldfield myself.

somouk
    Free Member

Sutton Coldfield is nice enough but you need to be careful on area primarily as house prices can be very high.

I would be looking around Cannock/Rugely area if I had to move in to this area from outside. Closer to the countryside and the chase.

phiiiiil

I’ll second Stafford; excellent transport links, frequent fast trains without changes into New Street, MTB on Cannock Chase and roads over towards the Staffordshire Moorlands.

postierich
    Free Member

Lichfield great little city/town good road links some good pubs I still even miss the place

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

This has Nw Alps (North Worcestershire) written all over it 😉

spot2008
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies; some very useful info there. The Worcestershire area is looking like a good move to me and keeps closer to friends and family in the Swindon/Newbury area.

It looks like its a decision on how long I want the train commute to be. the Worcester/Malvern area appeals for great MTB but its a long train commute (crica 1hr) whereas Bromsgrove/Barnt Green is commutable along the canal or a short train ride.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

What’s your budget, we’re selling up in a few months and moving to wales.
    It’s a large 5 bedroom dormer bungalow in an acre of garden, walk to the train station and in Brum in 25 mins.
    The postcode is B64 with close access to the canal network and lots of off road riding in the local area.
    Sorry for the ad, but you never know. 🙂
    Used to work in Brum myself, 25 wonderful years in the jewellery quarter.

spot2008
    Free Member

Our Budget is a max of £400k, less preferably. Were looking for somewhere in rural.

Would love to move to Wales also but its a bit of a commute for work.

scruff
    Free Member

400grand would buy you a place in Brocton. Best part of the Chase on your doorstep. Penkridge for the train.

Houns

Blakedown would be my choice

spot2008
    Free Member

Brocton looks good scruff!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Stourbridge is home to me so that maybe a vote against however its got frequent trains to bham, good schools, and countryside all the way to wales to the west right from the outskirts.

Riding wise there is Kinver DH and Ribbersford ‘Bike Park’ DH within 20-30 mins drive and loads of dirt jumps spots. Loads of XC locally in the Wyre forest. Ludlow for bridgewood and Hopton etc are an hours drive and you can hop on a canal and pedal to kinver for a pint any time you like. Easy access to Wales and the welsh riding – East midlands makes it a bit further.

Also there are some good pubs and small music venues. Also Bathems pubs.

EDIT: Just seen your budget – Houns is in the right sort of area for that money. Or out towards kinver etc if you don’t mind a 15min drive to the station.

bensales
    Free Member

alanl – Member
    Bensales – is that you from UKRM?

Indeed you did. Although I don’t frequent there any more due to a lack of petrol-powered bicycles in my life.

lunge

With that budget I would look in the Clent, Pedmore or Hagley areas of Stourbridge. Easy to get to the station into Brum, easy to get to the motorway and easy to get to the trails of Clent and Kinver. You’ll get a nice house for that.

rOcKeTdOg

Bromsgrove/Barnt Green is commutable along the canal or a short train ride.

some of it is through bandit country though

nevisthecat
    Free Member

£400k will get you a good sized detached house around the Ironbidge, Telford, Wenlock(s) and out to Shrewsbury.

Telford is ok – a lot of investment, with lots of new houses on the periphery if you want new.

Go out and around Much Wenlock, Little Wenlock and around Wellington there are loads of older houses in your budget.

Plenty of biking on the Wrekin, around Ironbridge and you’re a spit from Haughmond hill, Berwyns, the Long Mynd and into Wales.

Travel times from Wellington into New St is about 40 minutes. Quicker if you get the 06:53 virgin train (which heads into Euston).

I went through the same exercise when i moved down from the Dales a few years ago. Other half lived near Lichfield. I would go Shropshire over Staffordshire – totally under the radar, great biking, lots of good pubs and Degla is an hour from the door……

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘If you were to work close to Birmingham New Street Station……’ is closed to new replies.