Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • If you were to convert any car to electric…
  • CountZero

I posted up a bunch of links to firms who are doing EV versions of classic cars.

why would you want to ruin a classic car by converting it. The engine and handling is part of the experience.

Ask Jaguar and Aston Martin, I’m pretty sure that they’ll have a very good answer, what with their long combined history of racing and classic sports cars.
    From a driver’s point of view, if the conversion is done carefully, and many of them are using CAD and 3D printing to make sure everything fits perfectly in place, the suspension, and especially the brakes are updated to cope with the extra power, then the only difference will be the lack of engine noise, and a massive increase in acceleration.
    Oh, and the ability to drive such cars into city centres without penalty, which should make such conversions hugely appealing.
    As will the future-proofing of such classic cars that are still around, and any that are discovered stored away and ready for restoration.

jamj1974

Maybe a 1960’s Mini Cooper or perhaps, Lancia Fulvia or Volvo P1800.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Now I’ve read it, a Delorean would be perfect – you wouldn’t even need batteries with Mr. Fusion!

I like the idea of an MR2 and those big beautiful French cars above especially, they scream (or rather whisper) grace, making them near-silent would only add to that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Three people so far wnating to do a pointless conversion, as far as I’m aware Delorean were planning on making an electric version on the new productions anyway.

Not sure why but I’m quite taken by the idea of an electric Messerschmitt KR175/200, more of a Twizzy sort of thing I guess.
    jobbies!

For an actual car anything 1930s streamlining inspired would do: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/02/an-illustrated-history-of-automotive-aerodynamics-in-three-parts/
    wee

Or one of these crazy Soviet creations:

Soviet Racing and Concept Cars

blyat

spooky_b329

If you wanted a hybrid to extend range it would be much easier to have a ‘donkey engine’ tucked in the corner of the engine bay with a generator or custom wound alternator, like the diesel-electric trains. I think the london buses do the same, it seemed when I was on one recently the engine was above the staircase on the top deck so it presumably is only generating and not connected to the wheels.

I wouldn’t want EV in a classis sports/muscle car, they are all about the noise 🙂

pictonroad

Range Rover Classic. Been done too, I’d love the cash for one.

dovebiker

One of the VW magazines did a feature on an electric conversion of a T2 Bay van – cost something like £20k with Tesla running gear. A Citroen SM, CX or DS would be great too – in fact a late Big 15 which came with the hydrodynamic suspension would be awesome.

redthunder
    Free Member

vacation car

peteimpreza

“A Citroen SM, CX or DS”

How much power would be required to keep the hydraulics (suspension , brakes , steering) going if you did this ?

winston
    Free Member

There was a guy on SpeakEV who did a ground up EV/restoration on a classic 911. Cost him over 100k but it is faster 0-60 than a current model!

I’d like to see one of these stuffed full of batteries!

Unimog

DezB
    Free Member

On of these would do me
    1. Cos I don’t particularly care how cars look. They’re just cars
    2. I liked the interior layout of the Mondeo I had a few years back
    3. It was a nice smooth drive
    4. The boot

wwaswas

Volvo 240 conversion to electric.

this one was 55k Euros but had ‘all the trimmings’ apparently…

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘If you were to convert any car to electric…’ is closed to new replies.