Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • If you were stuck in a 30 sec timeloop, riding a trail, which would you choose?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

So, for reasons not obvious to you, you’re stuck in a 30 second timeloop while riding your mtb offroad so you’re riding it for an eternity – if you could choose which section of which trail you were on what would you choose?

For me, it’s a section of singletrack (what else 😉 ) that doesn’t really exist any more in Leigh Woods (Bristol) that slopes slightly downhill with lots of trees and roots so you’re weaving between and round them having to actually move your body out of the way of them on the tighter bends. The kind of thing that when you get right, you just feel yourself brush the tree and get the perfect line for the next bend ahead. For me, it had the perfect flow and balance between difficulty and being able to get it just right.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Assuming that this is some kind of groundhog day situation then I’d say the local dirt jumps. I’ve never ridden them but I’d have a go if knew that i could jump back up and ride them again after regaining consciousness. If not then there are trails near me that are jumpy bermy lovely that don’t last more than a couple of minutes whichever way you choose, so I’d pick them. Normally I can do about 5 runs before I’m knackered from the push back up or have run out of play time.

thepodge
    Free Member

There is one little down hill in the Peak that not even my friends have ridden, it really is single track, at points no more than 4 inch wide which would be high on my list.

However having just got back from BPW I think it’d be nice to be stuck on some of the swooping blue stuff

Stevet1
    Free Member

Dunno which ones but if it was 30 seconds for eternity then it would be a set of large BMX trails for sure. Something like Peynier trails in France. First thousand times I’d die and then get slowly better.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Minewoods Bombhole, BofA

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A section of local singletrack to me, it’s only just over 30 seconds long, and through a nice deciduous wood. Not very steep at all, but you can realy give it beans and get really quick on it. Finishes with a nice pop off a big natural lump into a really nice corner.

I always get to the front just before it, for 2 reasons – so no one holds me up (not that I’m quick, I just know every bit of it!) and also so that I can turn round at the end and see the inevitable grinfest when everyone else emerges from the last corner.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Minewoods Bombhole, BofA

Aye, that’s sweet. Also a couple of really nice sections up Kippenrait glen too, not far from there.

senorj

There’s a lovely section in Trent Park that Li’l J helped me to clear last week.Just there. 😀

colp

Mid section of Flying Gangter at Leogang, with the big fast jumps.

joat

Great question! I can’t think of any place specific, but it would be steep enough not to pedal but shallow enough for suicide gripping and using only body English to steer.

Harry_the_Spider

First 30 seconds of the anti-clockwise at Philips Park.

Pedal – Whoot! – Pedal – Whoot! – Jump – Whoot! – Pedal – Berm – Whoot! – Pedal.

2m 3s onwards
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxuO8aMMYk[/video]

atlaz
    Free Member

Crank it Up at Whistler or the top of the first red at Lac Blanc if only so I can try to gap one of the corners. I used to quite like Babymaker and Deerstalker at Swinley but haven’t been there in 4 years so no idea what they’re like now

ferrals
    Free Member

You know the old saying: “if I told you, I’d have to kill you”?

That applies here 😆

But it would be a bit of, I think undesignated, singletrack near my house, flat to start, fast, earthy, with a few roots, then it gets steep off-cambered, then very narrow, and ends in a loose scree chute with a narrow exit between two trees. Ok, so its actually about a minute, but there is one section I get off for, over a drop off in the narrow bit, and I dab the off-camber so i’m sure when I’d looped it a bit I’d get it to 30s!

I’d be riding it on a dry spring day with all the bluebells and wild garlic out 🙂

steel4real
    Free Member

Fade to black

inkster
    Free Member

I am stuck in a 30 second time loop and I’m on Grimms Ditch near Wallingford in the West Chilterns. A mile of twisty undulating Singletrack on a route that’s been there since the Iron Age.

Not ridden it physically for a few years but it’s where I’m riding in my head whenever I’m thinking about riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

For all eternity?

It’d have to be the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon, surely?

smatkins1
    Free Member

One of the mad massive jump lines from the fest series. It might take all of eternity but throwing down some shapes in the air with that much hang time must feel great no matter how many times you do it.

lunge

The old Chain Slapper at Cannock Chase.
    That or the HUGE dirt jumps behind my mom and dads house that I’ve yet to gain the courage to ride.

jam-bo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhSTpKuzbE[/video]

about 1.55 to 2.45ish.

do i get to keep riding it until I hit under 30s?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Grimms Ditch near Wallingford in the West Chilterns. A mile of twisty undulating Singletrack on a route that’s been there since the Iron Age.

It’s not changed much inkster. Wet, slippy and rooty at the moment but lovely all through the long dry summer/early autumn.
    Still very narrow when you get on the last section of bridleway and still a meaty drop each side if you misjudge it…
    Not quite as much fun in the dry as the chiltern way from park corner down to the lamas though – the middle section of that in summer gets my vote for 30 second loop!

sas78

The Twister (I think it’s called) swoopy fun bit at the end of Kirroughtree – it’s great fun.

Speeder

Super Morzine one of the Zore runs of 2011 vintage – the red/black I think. It’s probably 30 secs ish if you cut out the piste crossings but some of the most fun root banging, perfect pitch trails I can remember riding.

Or one of the Trail Addiction secret tracks from Les Arcs that I can’t remember the name of. I reckon I’d be able to clean the first corner after a day or so of trying. 😆

inkster
    Free Member

Jimfrandisco, park corner to the lamas would be my second choice, early spring when the bluebells are out,[though you might be going too fast to see them]

Used to ride both regularly on the same loop, Grimms Ditch gets the nod from me as it’s good both ways and formed the beginning and end of most rides,

Remember the feeling of satisfaction closing the gate at the end of the trail followed by a mile pootle along the river to the back door.

Or a pint at the Cross Keys.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’d probably go with the DJ of some kind (always been to scaredy). Those ‘Jimmys’ ones that were in a video doing the rounds on FB recently looked good.

surroundedbyhills – Member
    Minewoods Bombhole, BofA

I used to ride there as a kid. Is it something more than a bombhole nowadays? The exit was just ‘hop out the top and slam on the brakes before barreling into the old quarry’ when I rode it, although some kids had started builing a bit of a jump line around it. I got a couple of good concussions and broken ribs in those woods.

chakaping
    Free Member

Super Morzine one of the Zore runs of 2011 vintage – the red/black I think.

When considering a serious answer I almost said Porridge from Super Morzine in 2011, or the back garden one nearby.

The main bit of the Gully Run in Les Gets would allow plenty of line choice, so eternity would be marginally more varied.

alishand

Zone 3 of A-line in Whistler.

As much as I love techy, rooty trails the chance to improve endlessly, with the opportunity to go faster, higher, and with more tricks would just be too good to pass up.

martinhutch

Something smooth with a nice view. Wouldn’t want to spend the rest of eternity being battered on a never-ending descent.

tomaso
    Free Member

Naughty bit off Sticks Pass on a dry sunny day.

faustus

Probably somewhere on the descent from Ballard Down to Old Harry Rocks. It’s not technical, but it’s fast, has incredible views, and it’s my home county…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Got to say, despite me being rad to the max, there was one particular section of Terrys Belly at BPW which was something like berm, berm, berm, pump and jump into berm (if you hit it fast enough). 3rd or 4th run down I was getting it absolutely perfect without touching the brakes… That. Made me feel like a riding god.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Schleyer, dirt merchant or Fade to Black

ElShalimo

Berm Baby Berm, Glentress
    It’s just really nice

maxtorque

The slighty cheeky run off the Vanoise end of Les Arcs. The one that peels left off “Woodstock” after about 200m, cuts down behind the little wooden church, then turns into about 2 miles of narrow singletrack that wiggles down the side of the mountain between the trees. Amazing trail, amazing view (when you’ve got time to look, which is never 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

The Great Escape with Switchbacks is my happy place my mind flits to when sprinting in spinning classes, which is weird cos it’s not my favourite trail there. But I guess that would do 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Kentmere zig zags, I reckon by 20056933657441AD I might have cleaned it.

P20

Bin Combe Quantocks

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Afternoon Delight into Tech Noir or, the new, un-named loamy trail on the left by the big rock slab.

Or maybe Ninja Cougar into Fade to Black.

Or maybe Goats Gully.

Damn. Too many choices.

kayla1
    Free Member

A DH about 5 minutes from our house 😀 Lovely wide double track, natural berms and room to slide! Or the Goonie tunnels at Seaham.

One question though, can I dig some doubles in before I’m stuck in the loop?

jimmy

This is a great question, best ever On STW. Unfortunately, it’s like winning the lottery – or more thinking about what you’d do with the money too much before slamming back to reality. In the minute since reading the question I got so elated at the thought of it and then BOOM, back on the bus.

I think, for old time’s sake, it would be the lower half of a trail in the woods at stone edge quarry in Chesterfield. Used to spend hours there on old school steel bikes, timing ourselves and the lower section had such a nice flow combined with the accumulated adrenalin at that point it was just brilliant. Aahhh, I’ve won…

Euro
    Free Member

Some epic jump line (with transfer options on either side) as everything else would get boring after a few dozen runs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘If you were stuck in a 30 sec timeloop, riding a trail, which would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.