Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • if you were staying in Richmond (north Yorkshire)…
  • darrell
    Free Member

for a week in mid-October with your other half and kid(s) what would you recommend doing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If your’e there on 19th October the Scott Trial’s on. Which is me sorted for the day.

& you could call at The Dales Bike Centre & do something.

footflaps

Lots of great walks in Swaledale, it’s a beautiful valley.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

As above we stayed there little bike shop with local maps/trails. Reeth was good too. http://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/

theteaboy
    Free Member

How old are the kids?

If under 8ish, Forbidden Corner is ace:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g315980-d1198795-Reviews-The_Forbidden_Corner-Middleham_Leyburn_North_Yorkshire_England.html

And coffee and cakes in Reeth.

darrell
    Free Member

the little brat is 8 months old

footflaps

Day trips out – Tan Hill Inn is a nice drive or over the A66 to Barnard Castle, Bowes Museum.

Drive down to Muker and do the loop to Keld and back – quite doable with a baggy in a possum thing etc.

Or drive to Gunnerside and walk up Gunnerside Gill. Can be lovely in the autumn, the colours are amazing.

Gunnerside Gill, looking North by brf, on Flickr

smogmonster

Besides the obvious walks and biking in Swaledale, the Green Howards Museum in town is worth a couple of hours. The Norman Castle is worth a look as well, as are the old cobble streets underneath it. The town centre is pretty rubbish, nothing but charity shops, which really makes my pi$$ boil. Take a walk down the River and look around Easby Abbey ruins. ‘The Station’ has some good food, beer and coffee, and a smart Cinema as well. The Forbidden Corner at Middleham is definitely worth a visit just for its sheer oddity value – you will have to book tickets at Leyburn Tourist Office first though. A little known place is Thorpe Thewles Arboretum near Bedale if the sun is out its a lovely place. Bowes Museum up at Barnard Castle is another one worth a look, as is the Castle itself at Barney, there are loads of Antique shops as well if that floats your boat. ‘Big Sheep Little Cow’ is fun for the kids as well, as is another Farm just the far side of Reeth on the Main Rd out, i forget its name, Highbrow Farm or similar IIRC. Masham (Black Sheep Brewery) and Ripon are both nice towns nearby, a 20 minute drive to both. Hawes in Wensleydale is a smart little market town, and of course there is the TanHill Pub at erm, TanHill, or the CBInn at Langthwaite, where you can experience the full array of local inbreeding. For really nice food head to The Oak Tree at Hutton Magna just North of the A66 – expensive but i reckon the best food in the area, make sure you book in advance though or head to the Black Horse at Kirby Fleetham, which isnt too far behind. In the tTown Centre off Finkle Street is an arcade, in there is a French Restaurant, ‘Rustique’, which does by far the best food in Richmond itself, and has a really great ‘ambience’. Ive lived around here for years so i know it pretty well. Hope this helps.

Harry_the_Spider

Bowes museum is awful IMHO, unless you like tea pots. They’ve got millions of tea pots, a big wardrobe and a tin swan.

Beamish isn’t far up the road. That is brilliant.

smogmonster

The actual grounds and house itself are impressive though, at least they were the last time i went about 10 years ago.

smogmonster

Beamish is miles away BTW…

Harry_the_Spider

40 miles.

footflaps

Bowes museum is awful IMHO,

To be fair, last time I went round the museum must have been about 25 years ago.

martinhutch

Wensleydale Railway? Need to check if it’s running, obviously.

TooTall
    Free Member

Beamish is miles away BTW…

41 miles. Not exactly bad for such a fantastic day out.

OP – convince your wife you need some Altberg boots. The last British walking boot manufacturer, made in Richmond.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘if you were staying in Richmond (north Yorkshire)…’ is closed to new replies.