• This topic has 34 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • If YOU were gonna buy a dh/fr type bike?
  • ton

what would you choose?
    and for what reason.

oh, and sorry for using the dh/fr title.

legend
    Free Member

Scott Voltage FR – no tangible reason just looks right enough that I would trade in my DH bike for one!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not really got a clue (also, dh and fr are quite different)

If I wanted a DH bike I’d probably buy a Zerode cos they look badass

As for a freeride/long travel frame, I quite like the look of those Scott Voltages, or some sort of Canyon (GVF) or something by Transition or Mythic

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

Specialized SX Trail.

Although it’s a FR bike, I use mine for DH and it’s great. IMO a full on Dh bike is not really necessary on most UK DH tracks, unless you are racing, and really pinning it.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love a Transition TR250

nasher
    Free Member

Second the spesh SX with Marzocchi 66 Ti’s up front, double and bash and some strong but not overly heavy wheels.

carlosg
    Free Member

3rd vote for an SX , I’ve got an ’06 one already and it copes with everything I can point it down . Not quick but I was getting it down Fort Bill in just over 8 minutes and I’m crap 8)

jam-bo

The latest greatest Demo 8

legend
    Free Member

in just over 8 minutes and I’m crap

we knew that from the 8 mins part 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Got a Scott voltage, haven’t really had enough time on it due to illness but it feels great. Currently lightening it up for more AM type use.

nickf
    Free Member

Orange 224, ‘cos it rides better (and weighs a good bit less) than my Kona Stab.

Tried a Mondraker Summum, which was stupidly light, but I didn’t really get on with it.

transporter13
    Free Member

when i had these thoughts i bought a scott voltage

didnt regret it 😀

but for you ton i wouldnt bother as you’d be too tall for one

if I was looking for you then it would be a large foes or corsair maelstrom/marque due to the low leverage ratios and larger frame availability

in fact, I nearly bought a maelstrom

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSRscmxLS0[/video]

ianv
    Free Member

Yt industries tues, cos it’s awesome value.

ton

transporter, if i remember rightky, you are a big bloke?
    just wondering what you ride.

transporter13
    Free Member

I bought a voltage bud…then struggled to find the time to ride it in the right places so i sold it and bought a 456 summer season which ive now sold and bought myself a roadbike and turbo trainer instead as i want to drop the weight

25 stone at the moment

like i said, for you id seriously consider Foes or Corsair both are very good..the mainstream bikes will all have you needing a stupidly high poundage rear spring or high pressure in the shocks to feel ok

toys19
    Free Member

I have a tr450 which is a dh bike and a covert which is a freerideish bike. I would buy either, but if I wanted soemthing to pedal uphill aswell to get to my dh/fr trails then the covert wins hands down.

BUT knowing what I know now (both my trannies are awesome) I would actually probably buy a giant glory as a dh bike, only cos pauls cycles have then fopr about 2.4 k and my 450 cost more like double that.. Or some other giant as an fr bike as the covert aint cheap either.. I just bought them out of lust not practicality..

ton

thought about a foes fxr a couple of years ago when i bought my nicolai, still like the look of the foes.
    just had a look at the corsair, it also looks like a decent bike.

thanks for the heads up mate.

james
    Free Member

” Currently lightening it up for more AM type use”
    Whats your plan for a front mech out of interest? (Or are you splashing out on a hammerschmidt?). My brother has a voltage FR, he reckoned he worked out a plan for a front mech (slightly unconventionally), but has yet to try it out as he’s happy enough with the 34T/11-32T combo of the basic model for what he’ll use it for

“you’d be too tall for one”
    True, they’re not big. My brother has a large (or is it long?)which came with a 400mm post. When I’ve ridden it (6’2) its been quite a bit too low for a ‘proper’ pedalling height

For me though. I reckon I’d not want to spend a loads and loads atm, I’ve very little experience riding proper DH or FR stuff (or bikes) and it wouldn’t be my main bike either
    Probably a Rose Beef Cake FR I reckon for the vague uphill aspirations (front mech), maybe a single chainring bike, maybe something by someone else similar to rose

“mainstream bikes will all have you needing a stupidly high poundage rear spring or high pressure in the shocks to feel ok “
    Yep, my ~11st brother who’d barely (10 mins on an SX a few years before?) ridden anything bigger than his 130/120 XC full suss, ended up going 1 fork spring harder and 2 rear springs harder than stock after about 2/3 rides on hbis voltage FR

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m running 11-34 in the back and find it climbs ok but a granny would be nice in places. Thought about a front mech or a Schmidt but thinking 1×10 may be the way forward.

Lightening it up with new suspension, lighter wheel set and crankset. Should be around 30lbs

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I like my SX trail, it just makes sense for |UK DH and alps trips.

However, the Evil Revolt makes me tumescent.

carlosg
    Free Member

legend – Member

in just over 8 minutes and I’m crap

we knew that from the 8 mins part

LOL , I’m no downhill racer but enjoy it. was happy for my 1st time there.

james
    Free Member

He reckoned he could buy a Blackspire Stinger with a top mount for a direct mount/E-type front mech. Like this:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40530

Dont’ know if that opens up your options? Suppose it depends how badly you want a single ring/guide setup?

sam2391
    Free Member

I just sold my voltage it was amazing compared to other DH/FR bikes Ive owned or ridden because it had a short wheelbase, and the handling was sorted for a nice light feeling playful bike. Unlike some more full on DH bikes which ride like oil tankers until your up to speed on the steep stuff.

legend
    Free Member

Unlike some more full on DH bikes which ride like oil tankers until your up to speed on the steep stuff.

yeah pretty much all DH bikes ride that way these days, sometimes it would be nice just to be able to chill out but they really do need ragged to get the most out of them

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d probably buy a Cube Hanzz. No real reason, other than it looking bad ass, and not bad for the price.

vondally
    Free Member

one of them old Marin Quakes….cheap and rather good.

Titus el gaupo…light fr/am….great uk bike.
    Titus Supermoto….cheap and veryverygood a greatall round frame

Knolly Delirium or Chilctoin………..rare and very nice

Ventana El Terromoto……..justwanted one and good reviews

Specialized SX………..as above

Turner 6 Pack/RFX …………..more than capable going down not the greatest climber

All the above can get to the top of the hill pedalling important to me.

Northwind

Voltage is really nice- great value too. Not really a fan of the dualcrown domains that come on some models, but then again, the resale value of a brand new set is much the same as the used value of a set of Boxxer teams.

YT look like fantastic value, never actually met one though.

Not that you should neccesarily follow my advice- I bought an SX Trail that was worse than my everyday trail bike, an old Ellsworth Dare that I took an instant personal dislike to, and then impulse-purchased a Last Herb which it turns out, is really nice.

Oh, on that subject… I wouldn’t suggest an SX. Maybe when they first came out, but things have moved on and these days you’d be just as good on any competent 6 inch trailbike. IMO of course but mine descended worse than my Hemlock.

Though, if you’d like to buy an SX Trail or an Ellsworth Dare frame, do let me know 😉

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Tony- Corsair not sure if they are still being looked after in uk. I thought Windwave had sold the last of the stock. Foes are pretty on it! Ti spring etc. Mate of mine who is 20+ has one. Big Bearings and Big warranty Bud! Enjoy

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The 2:1 leverage ratio on the Foes would make good sense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does this count?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Absolutely without a doubt, orange patriot! Ton ole cock, u won’t go far wrong wi that one laddie! New one if u can, if not then get an ole 66 wi totems on and a ccdb and thal be laughing thee cock of lad! 😆

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Orange patriot the best no bullshit bike u can buy for FR!! 8)

ton

shag, i would rather poke my own eyes out with a shitty stick than buy a orange…………. 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘If YOU were gonna buy a dh/fr type bike?’ is closed to new replies.