Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • If you wanted something like a 2.4 3c maxxterra DHR2 but a bit grippier…
  • Northwind

Would you get a 2.6 3c maxxterra DHR2, or would you get a 2.4 3C maxxgrip DHR2?

Girth, or stickyness?

chiefgrooveguru

Maxxgrip for rock, 2.6 for dirt.

Shackleton

I had the same question for a front tyre and the answer turned out to be a michelin wild enduro magic x.

Cheaper, gripper and yet to delaminate/deform unlike 3 maxxis tyres this year.

the00
    Free Member

My feeling is that a wider tyre a wider tyre will offer more grip in most scenarios, not only because of wider tread, buy also from slightly lower tyre pressures and carcass deformation.

But the Maxxgrip would be my choice for high-speed, and on slippery surfaces like wet rocks and roots.

Northwind

Cool, ta folks, thats’ more or less my thinking- I do like a big tyre but I’m going to try the maxxgrip. Cheers!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Maxxgrip is definitely grippier than a wider tyre. Wild Enduro definitely doesn’t have as much grip as the DHR, and the sidewalls are a little bit too flexible for my liking (note that Sam Hill has been running the DH22 all season rather than the Wild Enduro).

JP

honourablegeorge

This might be the answer…..hopefully avaiable soon

superfli
    Free Member

The Assegai maxxgrip 29exo+ is available from German sites. £70 delivered though! That put me off
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/maxxis-assegai-folding-tyre-29×250-wt-exo-tr-3c-maxxgrip-black-1284069.html

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

MaxxGrip for sure.

2.6 tyres need to need to die.

Exo+ Maxxgrip Assegai is possibly the ultimate front tyre, with a 2.4 DD DHR2 in Maxxterra for the back.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What hob nob said

TheGhost
    Free Member

I just fitted an Assegai 2.5 maxx grip EXO+ last night. I have the same tire in DD as well.
    A 2.5 29er in Maxx Grip Assegai feels gripper than 2.8 27.5 DHF Maxx Terra to me.

Bike Discount.de 65 Euros

Now if only there was a 2.5 DHR2 WT……..

leegee

I was in the same position at the beginning of the year and went for a Vittoria Martello Trail. It’s way better, grip, casing & rolling resistance all improved.

jk1980
    Free Member

Is an Assegai good when it gets a bit muddy, or is it a hard pack/summer only sort of tyre?

chiefgrooveguru

“Is an Assegai good when it gets a bit muddy, or is it a hard pack/summer only sort of tyre?”

I’ve not ridden one but the info I’ve seen says it’s an everything bar full spike conditions tyre. But also that it doesn’t clear all that well, so if you’re slower than Minaar it may clog up in sticky mud.

SirHC

Is an Assegai good when it gets a bit muddy, or is it a hard pack/summer only sort of tyre?

Rode on one a lot last summer and into winter, its best suited to dry loose conditions and also when the trails are wet but not muddy, for example, steeper/shaley trails. I’d be looking at a shorty/hillbilly or the yet to be release maxxis hillbilly.

Assegai is very good under braking and in maxxgrip its amazing what it can grip to.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Have wanted to give one a go but doesn’t sound as versatile as a Mary. My go to (front) is a Mary, then when things get sloppy a mud king or a dirty dan.

Northwind

Assegai is a fair bit better than a Mary in the dry, mind. I haven’t used it enough in the wet to really judge but it feels like Maxxis have just decided to put one on either side of the Mary- Shorty better than Mary in the wet, Assegai better in the dry.

So anyway, this is a really old thread now but as it happens I’ve ended up trying both and, unsurprisingly, they’re both good. The maxxgrip is on the big bike, and the 2.6 on the hardtail, and both are pretty at home. I think ultimately, I’d take the maxxgrip but neither disappoints. I do like a large volume tyre and with the shorter fork that works out pretty well, and it rolls faster than the maxxgrip unsurprisingly.

honourablegeorge
    zezaskar
    Free Member

That Maxxterra DD DHRII was definitely in my radar for a f+r combo (I have this weird fetish of having the same tyre front and back) but €67???
    Sorry Maxxis, but I’m out.

My Michelin Wild Enduros cost me €80… for the set.
    Even those new Schwalbe Super Gravity Magic Mary and Big Betty can be found for €49 on some German sites

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘If you wanted something like a 2.4 3c maxxterra DHR2 but a bit grippier…’ is closed to new replies.