Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • If you thought there were too many MTB wheelsizes?
  • Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Take a look at BMXs.

12″ – 26″ in steps of 2″

And then

29er BMX – yes

10 speed 27.5+ BMX WHY DID NO ONE EVER SAY!?!?

A new non permissable want is created 🙁

geex

BMX is 20″
    Everyone who rides BMX knows this

anything else is just fishing for old guy/Dad money

joshvegas

Geex

406 or 451?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

‘Hey, have you seen how quickly, tragically and completely those MTB suckers fell for the new wheel size thing? I’ve got an idea……’

trumpton

I’ve noticed some new bmx’s have wider tyres fitted to them on 20inch than ever before.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

BMX is 20″
    Everyone who rides BMX knows this

Of course. But bikes are bikes and activities crossover and compromises must be made. I wouldn’t want to commute 4 miles on my 24″ street trials bike, or a 20″ bmx. But a 10 speed 27.5+ BMX that is getting into interesting commute+fun territory (wouldn’t particularly want + tyres though).

When I was a kid I had a BMX with a 4 speed derailleur which didn’t earn me much respect until I left the other kids for dust (but they didn’t like to dwell on that).

trumpton

Proper BMX’s are 20 inch. Think all the big wheeled ones are new retro cruisers anyway.

geex

FFS 4 miles isn’t far to ride a 20″ BMX

4 miles? Original Raleigh Twenty territory.

trumpton

i’ve done 15 miles on my little commuter bmx. On roads though.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

FFS 4 miles isn’t far to ride a 20″ BMX

5 days a week all year round might get a bit much though wouldn’t you agree?

geex

No.

I’m not weak though.

escrs

Bmx’s with 12in to 18in are for kids (i.e under 12 etc..) just like MTB’S come with various wheel sizes for various ages

20in is the proper bmx size and always will be

22in has been around for a few years and hasn’t really taken off

Then you have the oddball sizes like 26in, 29er which tend to be scaled up bmx’s for just cruising around

Used ride everywhere on the bmx, have friends who did the Lands end to John o groats ride on Bmx’s!

geex

Yes but did they do it 5 days a week all year?

Thought not 😉

Geez coming into every single thread like..

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Raleigh Twenty territory

Also had one of those or something very similar. My Dad had to braze a gusset to strengthen the headtube at least twice after I took it over one too many 3 brick ramps.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

I’m not weak though.

Full of shit though.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

Geex wins. 🙂

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

People are weak for not wanting to ride to the office and back standing up on a tiny stunt bike for eight miles every day? Coming from a vocal advocate of using an electric motor to get up hills? 😉

geex

steezysix

26″ BMX is basically 4X, Shirley?

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

Geex, not sure Jim C would agree

riding starts at 2.30

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

CLICKY HEREaarrrggghhhh my link did a runner
    try that one if it doesnt work I give up (go search you tube for Jim C Model C )

kayla1

3 brick ramp

Ugh. I still have memories of slipping the rat traps, landing on the seat of my Burner on my stomach and careering off into the back of Mr Chattler’s Allegro from a sketchy 3 brick ramp…

geex

wouldn’t agree with what?

dude’s 45. he designed a 24″ bmx to sell to other old blokes with some sales BS saying it rides like a 20″.
    He’s an awesome rider for sure but you’re not seriously saying he’s riding BMX better than other guys his age who still ride 20″ are you? or even anywhere near as well as he did when younger and rode 20″ himself?
    Pretty sure he could still ride 4 miles on a 20″ bike as well.

Clearly no-one is old enough to remember the 80s Mongoose Kos Kruiser.

I was going to say – in the 80’s, there were cruisers, with their own classification in racing and everything. I think they were 24” but I might well be wrong.

The original Kos kruiser was 26, then they introduced the 24″ version in the early 80s.

damascus

Have they done ebike bmx’s yet? I bet you could commute 5 days a week all year on that.

kerley

I was going to say – in the 80’s, there were cruisers, with their own classification in racing and everything. I think they were 24” but I might well be wrong.

They still are, cruiser class tends to be older people racing in it these days but not exclusively.
    Also gets you more races over the day/weekend if you enter 20″ and 24″ races.

kerley

I bet you could commute 5 days a week all year on that.

geex could probably commute 5 days a week floating on his ego alone.

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

No geex he designed the model around 2009, but hey your the bestest cyclist ever so sorry I disagreed with you 😁

geex

I know when he “designed” it.
    he wasn’t young even then.

24″ BMX cruisers were already around in the 70s

I’m not a cyclist at all.

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

If I could be bothered I’d go look for a picture of a handbag but I can’t be arsed. You throw your opinion into every thread with absolute certainty. I’ve been riding 24″ BMX for street and dirt since I was 20 odd ( I’m shite to be fair) and was chuffed when a more suitable geometry became available. Nice to know I’ve been wrong all this time though.

geex

There’s no right or wrong.
    do what you want
    on whatever bike you want to

damascus

To he fair, there’s nothing worse than a thread with no replies! Which just dies and withers away.

geex

TBF this was an absolutely terrible thread and really shouldn’t have recieved any replies.

“there are bikes with different sized wheels to suit kids right up to old men”

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Sigh…….

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

Wow, I never knew that Pacman thing. That’s blown my mind.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

TBF this was an absolutely terrible thread and really shouldn’t have recieved any replies.

LOL

So we’ve gone from you being first to reply, with “anything other than 20” is bollocks”, then “if you don’t want to commute on a BMX you’re weak”, through to “just ride what you want, it’s cool” and then “this thread sucks and no-one should have replied to it”.

👍

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.