Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • If you only watch the one, 9kw ebike video today…
  • takisawa2

Much as I hate them, this chap scaring himself half to death is quite amusing.
    I think the Cannock accent makes it all the more funny.

Fast forward to 11:10 for the funny bit…

[warning- not quite kid/work safe]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIhfwjWuj-I[/video]

tomhoward

Why do all builders of silly high power, home made bike based electric motorbikes always use a POS BSO to bolt all the kit to?

daern
    Free Member

Was about to get all high and mighty about unrestricted eBikes around the chase (spoiler – it’s all on road), then watched it and, frankly, it’s an equal mix of terrifying and hilarious.

I’d love to know exactly how fast he was going at the end…

molgrips
    Free Member

Made me laugh 🙂

Must’ve been doing over 60, comparing the scenery with my car driving experience.

hatter

The video was hilarious.

Hundred of youths trying to do the same thing with Ebay conversion kits will not be.

Can’t help but think that the current wild west of homebrew E-bikes is one hysterical Daily Mail headline away from an almighty crackdown.

I just hope that the market for ‘sensible’ safe E-bikes don’t get crushed in the fallout but as with any legislation rushed out in response to a tabloid panic I suspect there will be significant collateral damage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Must’ve been doing over 60

Speed camera didn’t seem to flash though (unless the camera was shuttering)?

ton

serious question………….why not just get a motorbike.

JAG

Hmmm illegal, irresponsible, foul-mouthed….

But it looks like a lot of fun 8) 😆

tomhoward

serious question………….why not just get a motorbike.

Because along with the motorbike, you have to get bothersome thing like tax and insurance and a helmet and a license.

You still do with contraptions like the above, but cos it looks like a bicycle, folk think they can get away with not having those things.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was going to post that last night with a “Straaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvaaaaaaa” title 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because along with the motorbike, you have to get bothersome thing like tax and insurance and a helmet and a license.

And with an ‘ebike’ that doesn’t conform to the regs, you’ll also need the same.
    This is why I’m so against bellends modifying ebikes. It’s a selfish and dumb thing to do, and not necessary at all
    The first time some berk kills themselves or someone else on an illegal ebike and the Daily Mail gets hold of it, we’re buggered.

tomhoward

and the Daily Mail gets hold of it, we’re buggered.

Nah, as long as it has 2 working brakes, I’m sure they’ll be fine…

chevychase

Meh. Only difference between that and a normal ebike is wattage.

They’re all motorbikes :p

jekkyl

spends all that money on the motor and batteries and leaves 2 quid pedals on it.

zilog6128

^^^ it’s not like they see a huge amount of use though!

tomhoward

Meh. Only difference between that and a normal ebike is wattage.

And half a dozen other differences, that I cba to type, but you already know them anyway.

AlexSimon

Englishmen have been building daft contraptions in garages and sheds and then scaring themselves silly for ever. Good on him.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is why I’m so against bellends modifying ebikes. It’s a selfish and dumb thing to do, and not necessary at all
    The first time some berk kills themselves or someone else on an illegal ebike and the Daily Mail gets hold of it, we’re buggered.

It’s not a modified e-bike though is it, it’s a normal cheap bike with a motor bodged onto it. It’s not been near an e-bike. It’s already illegal, so I think even the DM would have trouble getting those two mixed up. Especially as they aren’t all over Surrey tearing the place up.

hatter

DM would have trouble getting those two mixed up

This is the Daily Mail we’re talking about, have they ever let the facts gets in the way of a good wobbly?

The fact they’ll be able to shoehorn ‘rampaging yooves’ and cyclists into it will make it far too juicy to resist.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I want one,

with the jet engine as well………

scaredypants

with a better basic bike you could probably make a pretty effective machine (that’s too upright & short, no wonder he wheelies it under power)

why wouldn’t you use the hand throttle ??

Daffy

scaredypants – Member
    with a better basic bike you could probably make a pretty effective machine (that’s too upright & short, no wonder he wheelies it under power)

It wouldn’t matter what bike it was. 9kW is damn near 15hp which is the same as a moped, but less than a 1/3 the weight even with all the batteries and motors.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, would need to be more aero too. Bit of down-force would probably help too 🙂

takisawa2

Illegal, stupid, irresponsible & likely to attract criticism across the board, I totally agree.
    But it is funny hearing him wail in terror.

aracer
    Free Member

Probably not enough Radar Cross Section – I’ve been through a local speed camera on a bike at what should have been fast enough to trigger it but didn’t. Keep meaning to make a radar reflector for next time the wind is in the right direction.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The gap he leaves between his line and the parked cars made me wince. Someone just needed to pop open a door and he’d be a mess.

cookeaa

I’ve seen it before, IMO the fella is simply a Plum who’s cobbled together a stealth, VED and insurance evading moto…

And yep when one of these bellends kills a ped, the meeja will merrily conflate e-bikes pedelecs and proper bicycles, which is likely to lead to some poorly thought out, heavy handed responses from the government…

hammyuk
    Free Member

So not one of you has ever done anything stupid, daring, slightly or very illegal, speeded, jumped a red light, dropped off/up a kerb to avoid stopping, etc , etc, etc, etc, et…..

No?

Crack on then ….

giantalkali
    Free Member

Was that Jasper Carrot?

redsox
    Free Member

Make electric bikes, capable of up to 40mph, full suss, discs and i’d ride one to work. Scooters that do the same are just pothole fodder, these look like great fun

Northwind

kenneththecurtain – Member

The gap he leaves between his line and the parked cars made me wince. Someone just needed to pop open a door and he’d be a mess.

Even when he’s going like a rocket he still rides pretty much in the gutter

cookeaa – Member

And yep when one of these bellends kills a ped, the meeja will merrily conflate e-bikes pedelecs and proper bicycles, which is likely to lead to some poorly thought out, heavy handed responses from the government…

So what you’re saying is there’s no point worrying about it?

cookeaa

hammyuk – Member
    So not one of you has ever done anything stupid, daring, slightly or very illegal, speeded, jumped a red light, dropped off/up a kerb to avoid stopping, etc , etc, etc, etc, et…..

No?

Crack on then

I am utter without sin… Or a least self filmed YouTube evidence of it…

So what you’re saying is there’s no point worrying about it?

Probably not, the idiots are already in charge of the world. But when it happens my annoyance will be slightly offset by the slight smugness of being able to say “told you so”… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

And yep when one of these bellends kills a ped, the meeja will merrily conflate e-bikes pedelecs and proper bicycles,

No they won’t. There is already legislation about e-bikes. And it’s pretty conservative.

The papers were keen to point out that the fixie riding pedestrian killer was riding an illegal bike, and we haven’t seen anti bike legislation from that. At least not yet.

daern
    Free Member

The papers were keen to point out that the fixie riding pedestrian killer was riding an illegal bike, and we haven’t seen anti bike legislation from that. At least not yet.

Oh, it’s coming. Not perhaps to tighten the laws on what you can ride, but to make it easier for the police to prosecute when something bad happens. As far as I can tell from this case, the police had to use properly archaic laws and, I suspect, wouldn’t even have managed that if the rider wasn’t such a bell-end in his attitude to the whole thing.

bob_summers

The gap he leaves between his line and the parked cars made me wince.

And me. He also seemed very confident that reversing van wasn’t going to come back out of the driveway.
    Imagine arriving at a wet corner at 40mph on that thing.

FOG

There was a rash a few years ago of chancers wedging two stroke moped engines into cycle frames and that didn’t seem to provoke the wrath of the Mail. However it does look a lot easier to electrify a bicycle, an ice conversion might require some engineering skill

TiRed

Preferred the steam bike. Just because you can…

cookeaa

Yeah, people have always liked putting engines of whatever sort on wheeled vehicles just because we can, it’s the toolmaker part of our inner apes…

Personally if it’s “hacking the bicycle” people are keen on I’m more into this:

Or this

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s not a modified e-bike though is it, it’s a normal cheap bike with a motor bodged onto it. It’s not been near an e-bike. It’s already illegal, so I think even the DM would have trouble getting those two mixed up. Especially as they aren’t all over Surrey tearing the place up.

It’s only the power and the top speed that stop it being classified as an e-bike.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘If you only watch the one, 9kw ebike video today…’ is closed to new replies.