• This topic has 272 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 273 total)
  • If you only watch one bizarre police/driver videoed interaction today. 🚨
  • Poopscoop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-dorset-54903618

Most odd. Was the cop having a bad day and just go a bit ott? Driver was being a bit pedantic but in all honestly he didn’t seem to merit the response.

What do you guys think?

orangespyderman

Yeah – weird. I can imagine why the police officer wanted to throw the book at him because he was a right **** – but I think, if you’re a police officer, that you’re not supposed to react like I do to complete ****s 🙂

I suspect if he wasn’t having a bad day he’s had a few since, though… Police officer or not, it’s someone who isn’t doing their job correctly, in my opinion. Nothing shocking like tasering old ladies, but he could probably use some training in his communication skills…

ElShalimo

Both are dicks.

Was the policeman a sergeant? If so they really should know better

DezB
    Free Member

1m 22s the cop says exactly what I thought. The prick in the car turned a simple traffic stop into a big issue. Why not just open the window and talk reasonably to the bloke doing his job? Jaguar driving knobend.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What do you guys think?

It’s not quite how I’d have done it.

Jakester
    Free Member

Why didn’t the driver do as he was asked at the outset though? If he’d simply done as he was asked then it wouldn’t have escalated.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drivers a roaster, cop probably pissed off with dealing with roasters all day.

Superficial
    Free Member

From what we’ve been shown, it looks like a massive overreach of police powers. The guy was, apparently legally, driving his car, but then gets (incorrectly, as it happens, but perhaps understandably) stopped. Then it goes out of control because the police officer’s authoritah isn’t respected, so he accuses the driver (whilst sat in their car, engine off) of planning to run a police officer over, of having drugs etc. Particularly egregiously, he then tells the driver he’s definitely getting a ticket for an as-yet undetermined crime.

Just because it’s less hassle to comply with aggressive policing doesn’t mean we should. I probably wouldn’t have been as bolshie but the guy in the car has highlighted how ridiculous this stop was, and the poor (and probably widespread) attitude of the police officer.

This isn’t policing by consent and if we’ve learnt anything from the USA in the last 6-8 months, we should all be on the side of the driver (even if he’s probably a bit of a prick).

DezB
    Free Member

aggressive policing

😆 brilliant!

sirromj

What do you guys think?

Wish I hadn’t bothered watching.

Poopscoop

sirromj
    What do you guys think?

Wish I hadn’t bothered watching.

I’d offer you a refund but….

tjagain

Apart from any stop is perfectly legal and the law requires you to identify yourself. Also the video is incomplete. Driver a complete roaster and gets no sympathy from me.

He didn’t get the window smashed which the cop could have.

the correct answer to the police when being stopped is always ” yes sir” then the interactions go smoothly.

Over the years I have had many interactions with police a couple of which I could have been arrested for and a couple more had traffic penalties. Pleasantness costs nothing and indeed when dealing with the police saves you a lot of time and agrro

I’ll bet my house the driver was obnoxious from the off and the cop being human lost his temper

bails

From what we’ve been shown, it looks like a massive overreach of police powers

Clearly the ‘interaction’ has started before the driver/passenger has started filming. It seems like the driver was pulled over because the car has been sprayed/wrapped to make it not match the DVLA records, so at first glance it looks red/blue/green/whatever rather than black. And after being stopped in what the officer has reasonably assumed is a stolen/cloned/uninsured car, the driver seems to have locked himself in and kept the windows up.

sirromj

I didn’t ask?

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s not quite how I’d have done it.

“Is this your car, sir?”

“Maybe…”

“TASER! TASER! TASER!”

Superficial
    Free Member

😆 brilliant!

So you don’t think that waving a baton, threatening to smash a window and then dragging someone out of a car was aggressive? No crime had been committed.

Poopscoop

sirromj

I didn’t ask?

You actually bothered to come back into a thread you have no interest in to post that. Ok…😄

DezB
    Free Member

So you don’t think that waving a baton

That’s the first thing that happened, yeah?
    Just another entitled prick in a car is the only problem I see there.

tjagain

So you don’t think that waving a baton, threatening to smash a window and then dragging someone out of a car was aggressive

Not overly so. the driver was being unreasonable and the policeman has the right to use force. There is a reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed and the driver is refusing to co operate. The police have the right to use force to comply co operation

Its something the public do not seem to understand.

sirromj

You actually bothered to come back into a thread you have no interest in to post that. Ok…😄

Careful now or I’ll waive my baton.

Poopscoop

sirromj

Careful now or I’ll waive my baton.

That’s definitely content for the zoom thread I posted.lol

hooli

The driver was being a dick, you are never going to get the best from anybody by starting off like that.

If you have nothing to hide, just open the window and talk to the copper. Of course it got his back up and and made him suspicious. Granted he didn’t bathe himself if glory after that but still…

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s the first thing that happened, yeah?

No, obviously not.

Just another entitled prick in a car is the only problem I see there.

I see an entitled prick in uniform too. 🤷

As I said in my first post, I think the driver may well be a prick, and yes his actions probably escalated the interaction. But that doesn’t mean it’s OK for a police officer to overstep the mark, accuse people of crimes with no evidence and try to use his power / authority / weapons to ‘win’ what was ultimately a pointless argument.

That police officer is not acting in the best interests of society. It doesn’t look like he cares about society, it looks like he cares about reinforcing the power of the police force. And that should be concerning to any citizen.

andybrad

drag the guy from the car, smash the phone and arrest him for wasting police time while giving him a bit of a beating.

or just do as the officer says and get on with it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

you are never going to get the best from anybody by starting off as an argumentative prick

Point of order, that’s how most of the best threads here start.

Aidy
    Free Member

He didn’t get the window smashed which the cop could have.

Are the police really allowed to smash windows?

I might not be that inclined to wind down my window, or leave the car, if someone is acting aggressively and threatening to use physical force to get to me.

tjagain

Of course they are aidy. How else do they arrest a criminal locked in a car and its an oft used tactic.

the cop would not be threatening force if the driver co operated. a cop is allowed to use force to get complience

johnners
    Free Member

The driver’s definitely a bit of a dick. The officer’s a bit of a dick while acting in a professional capacity right up until when he says the driver’s getting a ticket for “something”, then he veers into the general area of misconduct. I’m surprised so many posters think this is OK because the driver has been annoying or the officer might have had a bad day.

Aidy
    Free Member

Of course they are aidy. How else do they arrest a criminal locked in a car and its an oft used tactic.

Well, if they were in a house, police would have to have a warrant to do so.

I’d hope that a single officer couldn’t break into a car on just their own authority.

joepud
    Free Member

I actually cannot believe there are people here defending the policeman! At what point did the bloke in the car act in anyway that could be described as a danger to the policemans life. He said you “get a ticket for something” then proceeded to profile him based on how he looked saying he could have a knife, gun or drugs. Told the bloke he was gonna “floor it and run him over” despite the engine being off. How people can defend this policeman is beyond me.

Was the cop having a bad day and just go a bit ott?

No the police man is 100% in the wrong, I can 100% bet being a white male I would not have had that experience with that policeman.

Why didn’t the driver do as he was asked at the outset though

He did, but when someone says they are going to smash your window how else is he supposed to react.

Yeah – weird. I can imagine why the police officer wanted to throw the book at him because he was a right ****

Just how is the driver a ****? He did nothing wrong. In the first instance police man stops him for apparently driving a black merc when the blokes not even driving a merc in the first place.

Apart from any stop is perfectly legal and the law requires you to identify yourself. Also the video is incomplete. Driver a complete roaster and gets no sympathy from me.

I think they call this an unconscious bias…

1m 22s the cop says exactly what I thought. The prick in the car turned a simple traffic stop into a big issue

Or it was the police man who said “you’re gonna get a ticket for something”

The state of the world these days. There is a clear over reach of power and people side with the copper. behave.

hooli

Point of order, that’s how most of the best threads here start.

Point taken and I stand corrected 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Or it was the police man who said “you’re gonna get a ticket for something”

Nope he says that after the entitled **** refuses to have a reasonable conversation. If you can’t see that, you’re obviously just biased against the police.
    The most amazing thing is that someone actually got stopped for ANYTHING in their car. Lately, I don’t see any police cars and I see loads of people driving like bellends.

IHN

Clearly the ‘interaction’ has started before the driver/passenger has started filming. It seems like the driver was pulled over because the car has been sprayed/wrapped to make it not match the DVLA records, so at first glance it looks red/blue/green/whatever rather than black. And after being stopped in what the officer has reasonably assumed is a stolen/cloned/uninsured car, the driver seems to have locked himself in and kept the windows up.

This.

That police officer is not acting in the best interests of society. It doesn’t look like he cares about society, it looks like he cares about reinforcing the power of the police force. And that should be concerning to any citizen.

Oh behave.

DezB
    Free Member

I see an entitled prick in uniform too.

Yeah, he is a bit of a prick in that vid (well, comes across as not very good at his job), but you do realise he actually is entitled?

surfer
    Free Member

’d hope that a single officer couldn’t break into a car on just their own authority

I suspect they can, or should they have to go through the courts? What if somebody was incapacitated, a child alone, even a dog on hot day. Incredibly difficult job made more difficult by entitled idiots. Comply then argue the toss at the station when you have a lawyer with you.

joepud
    Free Member

Nope he says that after the entitled **** refuses to have a reasonable conversation. If you can’t see that, you’re obviously just biased against the police.

How do you have a reasonable conversation with someone that says “im gonna smash your window” its overly aggressive. The person in the car was calm and the policeman was being aggressive – he wanted to assert is power when he didn’t need to. Also at what point was the guy in the car acting entitled? The policeman didn’t like the fact he knew the rules of what the policeman could and couldn’t do.

Lastly, just to be clear do you think its acceptable for the policeman to stop someone and say “you’re gonna get a ticket for something” at that point the policeman is going to make up a charge just to give this guy a ticket. Its a reach but whos to say tomorrow the same policeman doesn’t plant drugs on someone next week to “give them a ticket for something”

How is this any different to whats been happening in America.

intheborders
    Free Member

the correct answer to the police when being stopped is always ” yes sir” then the interactions go smoothly.

“sir”?
    Are you a small child?

Superficial
    Free Member

The only time I’ve been stopped by police in my car was when I deserved it (boring story). That’s not the same experience that many people (of colour, but also profiling by car type etc) have.

You may therefore think that the best way to act in that scenario is to be placid and polite, but I don’t think you can judge others for approaching that situation differently, given what we know about institutional racism in our society and especially the police.

Although I cannot see through the lens of the driver in this video, I suspect his experience of policing is different to mine. It matters not a jot whether I (or you) think the officer believes the driver is a law-abiding citizen/prick/criminal or vice versa. However, we can at least try to take emotion and anecdotal experience out of the equation here, by inspecting the video in terms of objective facts:

1) The driver is not seen to commit any offence, and his subsequent release (despite the attitude of the police officer) suggests there was no crime committed on his part.

2) Meanwhile, the police officer is verbally and physically aggressive and tells the driver he’s getting a ticket without grounds. That’s clearly an over-reach.

And we get to…

The state of the world these days. There is a clear over reach of power and people side with the copper. behave.

This ^^^

tjagain

Well, if they were in a house, police would have to have a warrant to do so.

Not in all circumstances ie in pursuit or if the cop believes a crime is in progress (IIRC) or someones life is in danger.

I just think many on here do not realise how broad a cops discretion is

I do not condone the cop going OTT but I can understand and sympathise why

tjagain

The policeman didn’t like the fact he knew the rules of what the policeman could and couldn’t do.

Errmmm =- he didn’t. the usual belief that a cop cannot lay on hands or force complience

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘If you only watch one bizarre police/driver videoed interaction today. 🚨’ is closed to new replies.