Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • If you needed another reason to dislike the Kaiser Chiefs…
  • bencooper
    Free Member
    iolo
    Free Member

I quite like em. What is it about them you dislike?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Packaging designed to look retro looks like retro packaging. Is this a problem?

flip
    Free Member

I love them best band live I’ve seen.

ElShalimo

Is it an homage, or just a rip off?

Either way they’re a rubbish group

slackalice
    Free Member

They’re not Scottish? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I bet the band didn’t design (or rip-off) their own album sleeve anyway.

nealglover
    Free Member

Who cares ?

You either like the music or you don’t.

Can’t see why this matters to anyone. Sturmey Archer included.

What loss can they possibly imagine they might experience from this.

Of course, free advertising from putting out a press release where they make out they are outraged by it is a big bonus 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, probably a lazy designer who thought no-one would notice. They should fess up and say sorry, though.

binners

Graphic designers blatantly ripping off identities that have been around for years? Nope. Doesn’t sound right to me. It’d never happen. As a profession it generally abhors this kind of thing. Especially in the music industry

DezB
    Free Member

They’ve added a little soldier boy so it’s completely different.

Jamie
    Free Member

Graphic designers blatantly ripping off identities that have been around for years? Nope. Doesn’t sound right to me

bencooper
    Free Member

They’ve added a little soldier boy so it’s completely different.

Courtesy of Microsoft Clipart?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graphic designers blatantly ripping off identities that have been around for years? Nope. Doesn’t sound right to me. It’d never happen.

Oh, go on then, why not.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Because no band has ever used artwork similar to something else? But because “they” have “ripped off” an (iconic?) British bike brand we should be up in arms and calling for them to apologise? Get off…

FWIW, they’re one of the best bands I’ve seen live (at Elland Rd which was epic and twice at the MEN). First two albums were top notch (I swear I’ve never listened to album first time like Education and liked every single second of every track). Since then though they’ve gone downhill (IMHO)…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I think the insulting bit is that the designers even go so far as to explain their design without acknowledging SA.
    I quite like the music, I was at uni with Nick, the keyboard player. The most succesful engineer off our course…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some of you really need to see and hear other bands

they are OK but they wont be talked about much in 10 years or 20 or 30 years time

Some of you need to lighten up – I doubt the OP or anyone is frothing about this but it is a blatant act of plagiarism by someone [ I know Binners in that industry – shocking ] who knew what they were doing

bencooper
    Free Member

Nope, not frothing about this – and I know all art is derivative – but it is a pretty blatant rip-off.

And I don’t mind their music, it’s okay. Just a bit generic 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ricky is a nice bloke. Met him a couple of times, once backstage for beers then at a party. In fact he’s quite shy and reserved in real life which I’d say is a decent thing considering what he does for a living.

molgrips
    Free Member

Re-using design motifs from other things, particularly retro ones – happens all the time. See Andy Warhol.

No problem to argue about here – move along.

it is a blatant act of plagiarism

No it’s not. Hub gears and contemporary music are different enough for it not to be. If Shimano did it, then yes.

hooli

Seeing they copied the name of the band, it seems about right that that copy this too.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

You could say they took an original idea, and improved it, just used it for inspiration.

It’s not like they’ve made a business out of “copying” the ideas and “improving” them, dunno – something like sticking expensive hub gears in folding bikes say?

brakes
    Free Member

RUBY RUBY RUBY RUBY
    aaaa-aaaahhh aaaaa-aaaaaahhh aaaaaa-aaaaah
    RUBY RUBY RUBY RUBY
    is the song in my head now
    thanks

Lifer
    Free Member

Vanilla

eddie11
    Free Member

I’d say British sea power might have something to say about having their image nicked too.

I have to say I didn’t realise kaiser cheifs were still going until I saw this ( or sturmey archer) 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s not like they’ve made a business out of “copying” the ideas and “improving” them, dunno – something like sticking expensive hub gears in folding bikes say?

Who have I copied? Anyhow, interesting response.

avdave2

It’s quite likely that copyright has expired on a 110 year old design.

Of course Sturmey Archer will be nothing if not delighted with this free publicity. They are protesting just so they’ll get talked about. I guess they saw just how well it went for Specialized and thought we’ll have a bit of that too. 🙂

RustySpanner

My favourite:

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Who have I copied? Anyhow, interesting response.

Sorry Ben, it was meant as a joke, didn’t mean to cause any offence to you.

bencooper
    Free Member

Dammit, thought I had a stalker 😉

scaredypants

All a bit yawny – look at all the tat with “keep calm and … oh do **** off” written on it

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t need a reason to dislike the KC’s, I just don’t like em’ 😉

Drac

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

keep calm and … oh do **** off

this thread ripe for a ‘keep calm and carry on disliking kaiser chiefs’ photoshop

CountZero

bencooper – Member
    Yes, probably a lazy designer who thought no-one would notice. They should fess up and say sorry, though.

That’s bollocks. Designers and artists have been borrowing ideas for donkey’s years, sometimes an outright copy, sometimes, like here, taking the style and adapting it. SA getting all huffy and indignant does them no favours at all.
    And how many bands do you know who design their own sleeves? Especially the really iconic ones?

eddie11
    Free Member

And how many bands do you know who design their own sleeves?

The stone roses

Jamie
    Free Member

The stone roses

They must have moved into children’s fashion as well…

eddie11
    Free Member

I saw that. It’s next isn’t it? Rock and roll…

CountZero

eddie11 – Member
    And how many bands do you know who design their own sleeves?
    The stone roses

Any advances on one?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

I have to say I didn’t realise kaiser cheifs were still going until I saw this

I presumed they’d ‘retired’ when the singer chap turned up on Saturday night telly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘If you needed another reason to dislike the Kaiser Chiefs…’ is closed to new replies.