Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • If you had up to 1.5k to spend on a bike…..
  • gnusmas

What would you get? Has to be new is the only stipulation, no chance of secondhand.

All will be revealed, just looking for ideas and options.

postierich
    Free Member
    geex
    Free Member

Nothing. I don’ want any new bikes.
    But if you’re looking for FS slopestyle or hardtail dirt jump bikes I could sell you one of each for that.

Main stipulation shouldn’t be budget but what you want to do on said bike 😉

ak121078
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Postierich has it.
    Sonder Evol.

PMK2060

Pinnacle Akrose 3 would be my pick. £900 if you trade in a junk bike. Spend the other £600 on a bike trip or 600 cans of Stella.

Fat-boy-fat

Save my pennies and buy a more blingy bike to impress my biking chums 😉

w00dster

All depends on intended use. I have a similar budget for a new hardtail. Quite a lot of choice. Thinking about a Trek ProCaliber 8 as it will be used for XC racing.

gnusmas

I currently have a Cove stiffee. New bike will be ridden in Brechfa and Cwm Rhaeadr mainly. Not into jumps and drops, more trails and flowing singletrack.

I understand second hand or a cheaper bike would/could be better, but there is a good reason it has to be new and if possible, as close to that price point as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, will look into them.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’d also consider ex-demo which usually comes with shop warranty. Big discount for a year or two old model and hopefully full serviced and may have new parts.

Edit:just seeing your last reply, yeah understand there may be a reason for new.

Full sus or hard tail?

I have a bias, but you can get a Bird Zero for around £1500

mrhoppy

I’d buy the Trek remedy 29 I’m selling for less than that, but then I’m biased.

lev
    Free Member

Kona Honzo is a great bike and CRC have them going really cheap at the moment

toblerone1

Calibre Triple B also here, just spend the difference on a decent set of tyres and your sorted 🙂

nickc

Commencal Meta HT.

RS yari and 11sp SRAM NX.

lunar
    Free Member

Cube Nutrail – best (most fun) bike i have ever owned.

scc999

Make sure you test ride the Sonder – esp if you are under 5’8″. Mate tested a small frame and the standover was too high for my taste (and I’m 5’8″). He had no chance.

Norco Fluid? Seems to be well thought of.

Si

chakaping
    Free Member

The vitus MTBs on CRC look pretty decent at that price point, they’d be my first port of call.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That is 750 lottery tickets. Just saying

joebristol

I think if full suss I’d buy a Vitus Escarpe.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-escarpe-vr-suspension-bike-slx-1×11/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=587045&kpid=587045&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv%7CscZG8Jeiz_dm%7Cmcrid%7C295297166579%7Cmkw%7C%7Cmmt%7C%7Cmrd%7C587045uk%7Cmslid%7C%7C&mkwid=scZG8Jeiz_dm&pcrid=295297166579&prd=587045uk&pgrid=63361650670&ptaid=pla-522044311571&gclid=CjwKCAiAx4fhBRB6EiwA3cV4KtJxvD2HgJkyXeZTtCPEwNmpvc8zmFGicwnBT1dETRnyaWfymFCfihoCY7oQAvD_BwE

If hardtail it’s a lot harder. Maybe an Orange Clockwork 137 on offer and then upgrade a few bits.

Bird Zero TR maybe – I’d have though the AM boost is too much for what you want.

AirDrop Bitmap looks good too – but again maybe more hardcore than you need.

Sonder Transmitter?

bukobuko
    Free Member

I’d just walk in to a bike shop and buy the one I like the look of the most for 1500 quid, looking online for days on end sends me crazy.

gnusmas

Thanks to Xmas, my birthday and some spare pennies my budget is up to around 2k now. Still has to be new and from a shop/website. Thinking possibly a full sus now but not set in stone. Any further ideas?

coomber
    Free Member

Triple b is non boost. Would put me off

WildHunter2009

Highest spec new shape Solaris Max you can get. As a new BFe owner I would dearly love one as well.

dove1

For hard tail I’d have a serious look at the Bird Zero TR. They are on offer at the moment and you can get a very nicely specced bike for £1500 by customising a build.

For FS maybe see what is a good deal on Paul’s Cycles – for example, the Giant Trance 3 2018 and Anthem 3 2018 are both on there for £1520.

psling
    Free Member

Given where you are I’d be having a word with somewhere like Sunset Cycles in Cardiff to see what sort of deal they could do for you; they have quite a range.

duncancallum

Sonder
    Norco
    Vitus

They’re the 3 brands I’d be looking at

chakaping
    Free Member

Whyte do some good bikes at that level, especially with discounts in sales at the mo.

rene59
    Free Member

That Norco Fluid FS 1 a couple posts back looks great. I’d be having that on a shortlist for sure, should be able to get a wee discount on that at Evans as well with a bit of work or bagging a discount code.

daviek

The shimano version of an Aeris 145 is a shade over 2k

mildred

I’d be looking at this:

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s183p7417/CANNONDALE-BAD-HABIT-CARBON-2-2017

Or probably stretch to this (as it suits me a bit betterer and is available in large):

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s183p8484/CANNONDALE-TRIGGER-CARBON-3-2018

neilc1881
    Free Member

Another Bird Zero TR vote here.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Long travel hardtail: Commencal Meta HT

Trail hardtail (130 mm): Radon Cragger (starts from 1,2 GBP at bike-discound.de). The Cragger looks like a long and slack fun machine for a crazy low price tag.

Or…building up your bike from parts. Have a 150/150 mm 27,5+ all mountain bike which I assembled for 1.5 k (Stereo 150 HPA 27,5+ 2017 frame for 350 GBP. Best deal ever! Great, great bike).
    But this was last year where all these crazy Fox forks/shocks popped up for little money. 1.5 k wouldn’t be possible right now for this bike.

gnusmas

Thanks to you all. After a lot of searching and debating the choice is now made. Will soon have a new bike thread and pics.

matt_outandabout

Yeah baby!

Alan – we’re in Cardiff for summer hols I think, might be opportunity for a ride out?

granny_ring

Hope it’s a full sus Alan 🙂

gnusmas

Matt – let me know when your down, will sort something out.

GR – not telling 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘If you had up to 1.5k to spend on a bike…..’ is closed to new replies.