Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • If you had to give up your Orange 5…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

… with what would you replace it?

For me it’s possibly this

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably a hardtail as Ive heard they ride very similarly, especially when when you apply the brakes whilst riding over bumps

stevede
    Free Member

I changed my Five for a Soul and a Pitch, cheating i know but it was a great move for me, highly rate both of my Five replacements.

molgrips
    Free Member

Replacing one bike with two doesn’t count.

ChrisL

I replaced mine with an Ibis Mojo SL.

votchy
    Free Member

Would replace my ’07 5 with………an ’11 5 😀

stevede
    Free Member

molgrips – i did say cheating i know but……was tongue in cheek my friend. New Blur 4x replacement would be a strong contender if i was to attempt the one bike for all applications dream.

bazzer
    Free Member

I replaced my Patriot with a Cove Hustler, does that count.

Rode my mates Patriot the other day and wondered if I had made the right choice !!!

duntstick
    Free Member
    _tom_
    Free Member

Really liking the looks of the newer Kona bikes 🙂

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I’d be quite happy to replace mine with about 60 crisp £10 notes if anyone wants a 2008 Five frame 😀

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great frame but these days I don’t ride anything that justifies more than a hardtail!

scotsman
    Free Member

I wanted to swap mine for a Mojo HD 160 but it will not take my Hammerscmidt, the ISCG tabs are not compatible apparently, bugger.
    *sits a waits for the what the fek are you running Hammerscmidt for anyway comments*
    So purchased a DH monster which means I am way over biked and get laughed at all the time! 😆

Torminalis
    Free Member

Zesty FTW!

rustler
    Free Member

A Ventana El-Ciclon. 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Love my Five. It’s an ’07 model with all the bells and whistles and has been upgraded over the last 4 years (QR15 forks, Flows, Tech X2s, etc.)

I’ve been thinking recently about buying a new Five but it felt heavier in a side by side comparison with my current bike. I’m also aware the angles have changed that makes it less of an all rounder and more of a DH sled. Still willing to give it a test ride though. Be rude not to.

The bike that interests me the most though and the one I want to demo is the Yeti ASR 5 Carbon.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Very light, very lovely, especially the cool angular bits.

Bregante

a Pitch and keep the £1000 change 🙂

Edit: If I had One

hoochylala
    Free Member

That mondraker is loooovely, and another frame only option to add to my growing list 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. that mondraker looks like it has a terrible mud trap by the shock.

Incidentally, an overlooked side benefit of a 5 is that it continues to work more or less perfectly in muddy 24 hour races 🙂

Northwind

If I had to replace my Hemlock it’s fairly likely I’d replace it with a Five or an Alpine, so I guess if I had a Five I’d replace it with a Hemlock or an Alpine.

Or, perhaps I’d wait and see if the Mega can deliver on its promise (and promised delivery dates)

tonyd

The bike that interests me the most though and the one I want to demo is the Yeti ASR 5 Carbon.

A friend of mine recently bought a standard ASR-5, it’s a rocket! I’d seriously consider replacing my Five with one of those if I had to – yes I realise they are very different bikes but was very impressed. Be interested to see how well they cope in the rough/steep stuff.

ETA: Sorry Molgrips, that Kona looks silly (IMHO of course!)

Dancake
    Free Member

with what would you replace it?

For me it’s possibly this

I fancy one myself to replace my Meta. Does anyone have any experience with the magic link?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m thinking of the Yeti ASR-5 carbon to replace mine, at the end of the year. Some 140mm Revs set to 130mm , 142x12mm maxle, option my New Flows with EVO hubs and a smattering of SHimano XT 😀

Kryton57

I’m thinking of replacing my Tracer with an ASR 5, as I recently starting racing in events it seemed a better all round option.

Something in me doesnt want to let go of the Tracer though…. 😥

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

that mondraker top tube looks likes its ridden into a wall and the rear end is far too messy and complicated.

toby1

I have to replace my 5 …. but why, what did it do wrong 🙁

Hah, have to admit, it’d take me a while to think of something to replace it with, it’s pretty much the best thing I ever rode (admitted I’m not the kind of guy to chuck my leg over other peoples rides) so it’s not like I rode everything out there, I’m just happy with it as it is 🙂

joeegg
    Free Member

Replaced mine with a Giant Reign 0.No way would i go back.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought mine to replace a nicked Cake as a lightweight XC machine for which it was obviously not ideal. Of course now I appreciate it for what it is and it’s fairly light after I sorted it out. However since I own a bigger bike something lighter and more XC ish would probably be ideal. But only slightly since it’s rocky where I live 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

no idea if i ever break it I will let you know- tbh my FS gets the leats use of all my bikes as i save it for proper mountains

flyingfox
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 5.7. I get to ride tons of bikes but this one stood out for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I only have FS bikes 🙂 XC race, the 5, and a big bike.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Santa Cruz carbon Tallboy is what i fancy after the 5 has gone (2010) Pro.

nickegg
    Free Member

This:

carbon337
    Free Member

nukeproof mega

flow
    Free Member

Don’t do it, you will only regret it.

elaineanne
    Free Member

im suprised at how many of you would replace or have replaced it…
    i couldnt replace mine ever… 😉
    we all have 2,3,4 or more bikes but replacing an orange five;; “you gotta be out ya mind”” 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘If you had to give up your Orange 5…’ is closed to new replies.