Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • If you every get stranded and your phone is about to die…
  • dudeofdoom

I’d probably just hit “send location” in what’s app these days

Yep I just dont get w3w….

IPhones ring and send your gps location to the emergency service if you hold the right button.

ios emergency thang

I’ve got a little Garmin sat txt thing if I’m off where there’s no signal.

Also worth reiterating that whole telling people when your off-arsing around and figuring your worst case time that if you not phoned home they should be thinking of firing up the chopper.

Stuff goes south really quick, a few goodies like a space blanket are inexpensive and worthwhile.

zilog6128

IPhones ring and send your gps location to the emergency service if you hold the right button.

yes, but does it dial 999 or 112? 🤔

Also, being pedantic, that link says it texts your location to your emergency contacts (if they’re programmed in), not the emergency services.

poly
    Free Member

In my case the MRT took 30 mins longer than the air ambulance to get to the casualty the air ambulance had more gear to stabilise and a trauma surgeon. They also made the call to mobilise coastguard helo support within a few minutes of arrival, again saving time. That said it’s one set of particular circumstances, the guy who fell was very lucky.

big_n_daft – every situation is different, but before anyone assumes this is a better plan:
    – Not every air ambulance carries a doctor.
    – You will have lost some minutes on the MRT arrival by not calling them first, probably not 30, but probably more than you think, especially if they knew they wouldn’t be first on scene.
    – Some MRTs do have a doctor (although probably not a “trauma surgeon” likely to have been patching people up on mountains for years, and many of the ordinary team will have trained for and seen more real-life trauma than a newly qualified ambulance crew
    – If the police or the MRT leader think a helo will help, they have the ability to request the CG helo before arriving on scene, and its likely the MRT know the area and can make that sort of call just from looking at the map.

Now there are definitely circumstances where an air ambulance (or even a land ambulance) will be quicker. Not least because there are bits of the country where there are no MRTs nearby BUT I’m pretty sure that calling Police to get MRT is still not a bad plan there because they can still ask the ambulance service for help or locally to me (nearest MRT is about 30 miles away) will ask fire service to help with access/carry issues [but wouldn’t ask them to be the first response for a search].

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonba
    Free Member

Just over a year ago I had a proper accident riding solo. My phone has an emergency feature. If you press the power button 5 times it sends and SOS with location to an emergency contact.

I’ve used it in anger and it works. Mine goes through to my wife so she phoned me – “I don’t know where I am, I’ve crashed, I’ve just woken up and I’m bleeding” – she wasn’t amused, but did manage to find me as I was being loaded into an ambulance.

p7eaven
    Free Member

yes, but does it dial 999 or 112? 🤔

You enter the necessary number/service when setting up the Emergency SOS app/function.

Also, being pedantic, that link says it texts your location to your emergency contacts (if they’re programmed in), not the emergency services.

I’ll be even more pedantic and point out that the link mot only refers to ‘emergency contacts’ but it also has the option to contact emergency services via the ‘Emergency SOS’ function. 😉

zilog6128

You enter the necessary number/service when setting up the Emergency SOS app/function.

I don’t think so… it may be optional (but I can’t find any setting anywhere) but you definitely don’t have to set it up, it works right out of the box. I know this because my mum triggered it accidentally and didn’t have a clue what was going on, and had definitely not set it up beforehand!! 🤣

I’ll be even more pedantic and point out that the link mot only refers to ‘emergency contacts’ but it also has the option to contact emergency services via the ‘Emergency SOS’ function.

to out-pedant you, no, it is not optional, contacting the emergency services is literally what the Emergency SOS function does! 😃

Murray

For Android, search SOS in settings to turn on the feature. It’s activated by pressing the power button 5 times. It can be configured to dial the emergency services (I’ve set mine to 112 to cover the unlikely event of ever leaving the country 🙂 ) and text emergency contacts.

Cougar

I thought that it wasn’t lawful to have the emergency services on any sort of auto-dial? I’m learning quite a lot from this discussion.

Again – not to defend/promote any service but this is more misinformation. W3W uses an algorithm to calculate the words. No internet service / server access required as it’s all done in your phone.

That being the case (and I’m not arguing, I don’t actually know), why do they sell API access? Why do they need their servers at all? If you can programmatically calculate words from a location, can you not also programmatically calculate a location from words? Is there some sort of one-way conversion going on, like multiplying primes?

… and why would they do that?

scuttler

Anything useful in this thread other than the initial reply about SMS to 999 (I’m registered) and the usefulness of OS Locate as a handy companion app to readily spew out the SMS content? I expected it’d degenerate into a W3W argument and I can’t be ///arsed.with.that. Thanks!

redthunder
    Free Member

Sarloc
    and
    Android text/message location with location from gps.

Long Lat

Easy.

scuttler

Long Lat will get you in more trouble than Ling Lat (forum in-joke).

Lat Long surely (which is in itself part of the problem, it’s open to misunderstanding and confusion).

Though of course an OS Grid Reference is Easting (an analogue of longitude), THEN Northing (latitude).

Which is maybe why some suggest there’s a better way…

poly
    Free Member

That being the case (and I’m not arguing, I don’t actually know), why do they sell API access? Why do they need their servers at all? If you can programmatically calculate words from a location, can you not also programmatically calculate a location from words? Is there some sort of one-way conversion going on, like multiplying primes?

API access if for people that want to integrate the service into their own product / service. eg. lets say deliveroo, dhl etc want to use it (much more precise than a postcode in some part of the world), but not needed to either display a “one off” content by clicking link/going to their site, nor is it needed to generate the words if you have their app. I don’t think the one-way-ness was a design requirement like hashing – rather its the way it works, although a cynic might say its to force the traffic back to them!

nickc

All the apps on my phone, whatever the emergency call handler wants, I can give it to them

as you say;

Easy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has anyone tried to get a w3w location out of a map ……

zilog6128

the algorithm is secret & they aren’t sharing it! It’s how they (intend?) to make money. No good to them if anyone could just do the translation both ways whenever they wanted to! I guess also by keeping a tight lid on the API access and not allowing anyone unlimited calls it prevents anyone figuring out the algorithm either computationally or by brute force!

redthunder
    Free Member

Maidenhead Locator…

Sadly not enough subsquares..

Lat Long

Job Done.

as Nick says, have it all on your phone. Plus a map and know how to use it.

But if your on own with a busted phobe and knocked put, it don’t matter anyways.

Lat Long

Flat dino body and long neck. Or as my GF says Girthy and Long. Whoof , Whoof.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I didn’t expect this thread to develop quite as it did.

I thought the stupidity of being able to change your voicemail when you had no signal would mark it out as Facebook Spam straight away.

Sorry if I wasted some of your time.

On the bright side, I didn’t know that you could use 112 instead of 999 and now I know you cxan but don’t need to so there is some of my time wasted.

If you want another thread to waste time on, I have started one where I shot a stone with a home made, experimental, soft metal bullet and was surprised at the result. Go search.

Cougar

although a cynic might say

Hiya!

Long Lat will get you in more trouble than Ling Lat (forum in-joke).

£500 + LAT ?

Cougar

I thought the stupidity of being able to change your voicemail when you had no signal would mark it out as Facebook Spam straight away.

Did you? From your OP:

Cut’n’paste from elsewhere but seems like a reasonable idea in an emergency

Is this the Edinburgh Defence or Poe’s Law? You’re going on the list. 😜

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Did you? From your OP:

Cut’n’paste from elsewhere but seems like a reasonable idea in an emergency

Is this the Edinburgh Defence or Poe’s Law? You’re going on the list. 😜

🙂

I had to give it a little credibility, I do have previous form…

Anyway, what are your views on time stop bullets?

mjsmke

I’d have to Google how to change my voicemail first. In that time and data used I could have sent my GPS location to someone and asked for help.

dudeofdoom

But if your on own with a busted phobe and knocked put, it don’t matter anyways.

Yep don’t be dammy no nates if you’re going somewhere a bit remote.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘If you every get stranded and your phone is about to die…’ is closed to new replies.