Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • If you could ride in the USA where would it be?
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

I’m looking for some inspiration on ‘singletrack’ riding in the USA. I have done California a couple of times and fancy ‘maybe’ trying somewhere different in the USA.

I would be hiring an RV and traveling around, so I don’t need to stay in one area.

Where would you go and why?

Mackem

some mag had an article about Oregon, looked excellent.

voodoo_chile

Moab utah and the canyonlands

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Having done some hiking around Oregon, I would love to cycle around there.

TooTall
    Free Member

An RV is going to be quite an expensive way of doing it. You’d probably be cheaper hiring a decent size car and staying in anything from cabins (KOA Kabins are OK) to motels. I’d say Utah, Arizona and out from there, but not in mid summer. I was there in October a few years back and it was great.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Colorado, local trails in Denver ie Nederland. Drive up to winter park some xc and specific DH runs but waaayyy longer than alps DH. Drive over to Crested Butte phenomenal riding. Could also then do Fruita, moab, aspen loads of choice. Would post CO pics but computer has died.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

from what I’ve seen on pinkbike Oregon looks like the place to be

ltheisinger
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

An RV is going to be quite an expensive way of doing it.

Any particular reason you say that? Is it more expensive than in California? I have done it twice there and it was by far the cheapest and best way to get around (3/4 people and bikes etc.)

Been looking at Colorado – I am not sure whether the climate would allow in Oregon in Sept? I know North California can start getting a bit nippy in early Sept (when I would go), so further North I would imagine it is even colder?

PaulD
    Free Member

Hi there.

+1 for Moab and Canyonlands, and I went in mid February!

Did the Shafer Trail off Island in the Sky, Poison Spider and Slickrock starting each day at -10C and ending at +25C.
    Clothing was a challenge and I had a CamelBak looking like a washing line each afternoon.
    Porcupine was iced like the cresta run and I did not take studded tyres!
    Not viable, so down the dirt road to Slickrock trailhead in approx 10 minutes.

Oregon and Nor-Cal is OK to early October when the first snows come in, and Oregon east of the mountains is a near-desert similar to Moab.

I would go for a minivan and cheap motels over the Winne based on fuel, motel and RV hook-up costs.

PaulD

crankinirish
    Free Member

September is the best month of the year for riding in Colorado. It will be cool enough for all the Front Range trails from Pueblo to Fort Collins but more importantly all the high mountain trails will still be clear of snow and the resorts are still open if thats your thing. An RV would be a great idea, then you don’t have to worry about finding accommodation, the mountain towns get quite busy here in the summer too. Check out Durango, Crested Butte, Teluride, Arkansas Valley, Salida, Vail Valley and Summit County. Tons of top class high mountain singletrack.

metalheart
    Free Member

Crested Butte (but I’m biassed that way).

Done Winter Park, Durango, Fruita and Leadville also. I still want to go back. On my hit list is Monarch Crest.

Porc Rim in Moab was awesome too. If you do CB then Fruita is on the way to Moab. Thing is really that when CB is ridable Moab/FU is hot. Last time i was in CB (at the end of June) the main trails were still holding snow higher up and didn’t officially open until second week in July…

September, as above, might be the best bet?

Edit: I also like the look of Sun Valley in Idaho. Looks ace!

crankinirish
    Free Member

Monarch Crest is probably one of the best trails I have ridden, ever!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Colorado looks great to me

https://vimeo.com/26966423

epicyclo

Death Valley and the Alaskan ice roads.

daleftw
    Free Member

Zion!

sambob
    Free Member

Oregon looks superb, as does Downieville. I’ve snowboarded at Winter Park and the top lift is about 12500 feet, base is 9000, so you get some big descents, not sure if there are any built trails that high though.

noteeth
    Free Member

I really need to get to Colorado in the next couple of years…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Monarch Crest one of the best trails ever!!! CO all the way…

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mmmm? This could take shape if you keep putting the trail names on here. So far I reckon I could fly into Denver and then head down to Crested Butte before heading West into Moab and then back around?

Keep the suggestions coming (especially the trail names) as I am looking them up and watching the videos. Cheers.

jameso

Look up posts by mikesee (Mike Curiak) on MTBR for ideas? Inspiring photography of great trips. The Colorado loops he’s posted look stunning.
    Also this one – http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/re-jones-pass-herman-gulch-ride-caution-high-altitude-pics-655789.html

Crested Butte and Oregon would be on the list too, maybe depends on how you cope with altitude / how much time you have.

honourablegeorge

Moab – that slickrock riding just looks like a totally different world, something you don’t get anywhere else.

the_lecht_rocks

California and North Carolina – Pisgah in particular……

noteeth
    Free Member

North Carolina – Pisgah in particular……

I need to get there, too… ah, there’s a long list!

I had a great time in New Mexico, a few years back. Amazing scenery & riding. And catfish burgers. And beers.

Pigface
    Free Member

Munque Chick is correct, from the suburbs of Denver to the Front Range then up into the mountains single track a go go. Brilliant riding, Colarado is unbeatable.

crankinirish
    Free Member

If you do go to Moab the Whole Enchilada should all be rideable in September. Most bike shops in town do shuttles.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Colorado, having ridden it, Moab and San Fran area.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Oregon. There are miles and miles of trails around Bend and Oakridge. Check out Sunnyside Sports in Bend and Willamette Mountain Merchantile in Oakridge. Not nearly as developed as Colorado and Utah, but if you want amazing scenery and natural trails Oregon has it all.

There is a lot of good riding around Mt Hood and Hood River further north. A trip to Portland is also well worthwhile.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Check munqe chick or my forum history for posts in US/ overseas riding threads, have posted loads of pics of CO including monarch crest, CB and WP. Laptop dead so struggling to post photobucket stuff via phone. winter park a real treat, think lift assisted XC singletrack rather than gung ho alpine DH, even their black runs make the most of the terrain.

We did it in July, all the trails clear, hot in boulder etc but not too hot to ride in mountains (though most of our riding hols have been in places where its high 20Cs so we have become accustomed to big camelbacks and factor 30…)

In CB 401 trail, 403 trail are classics. Monarch crest is a name for a stretch of continental divide trail, the towns either side provide uplifts. Buffalo Creek amazing, I was expecting a twee scenic ride from the name but it is like Moab with trees and boulders. Possibly my favourite ride in CO as it exceeded expectations.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Anyone ridden anything in Montana or Wyoming?

TooTall
    Free Member

Any particular reason you say that? Is it more expensive than in California? I have done it twice there and it was by far the cheapest and best way to get around (3/4 people and bikes etc.)

I guess accommodation is cheaper elsewhere then. I’ve done the sums and a friend at work did and adding up the cost of the RV, insurance, worse MPG and site fees / hookups, a better economy vehicle plus other accommodation was much cheaper for a couple of different trips.

ianv
    Free Member

Did something similar years ago. Denver>Fruita>Moab>Bryce>Zion>Grand Canyon>Durango>Breckenridge>Winter Park.

Too much driving really and the million dollar highway from Durango to the i70 was a total nightmare in a big RV.

If I was going again I would probably go Denver>Boulder>Winter park/Sol Vista (for DH)>Fruita>Gunnison>Crested Butte>Keystone (for DH)>Denver

Moab, Bryce and zion have good riding but are a big detour if you are not bothered about the sightseeing. They are pretty amazing places though.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

ianv – Member

Did something similar years ago. Denver>Fruita>Moab>Bryce>Zion>Grand Canyon>Durango>Breckenridge>Winter Park.

Too much driving really and the million dollar highway from Durango to the i70 was a total nightmare in a big RV.

That was almost exactly what I had written down after previous posts. I don’t mind the detour if it means having that ride in Moab. The two most recent California trips meant approx 2500miles and some iffy roads up around the Downieville area in the RV – but well worth it!

Thanks all! Anymore?

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I have done California a couple of times and fancy ‘maybe’ trying somewhere different in the USA.

Does his mean you won’t be visiting Fairfax?

AndyP
    Free Member

Bend, OR. If I never rode anywhere else in the US I wouldn’t feel like I was missing out.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

+1 for Moab and The Whole Enchilada. 1 of the best rides in the states
    http://14erskiers.com/franksblog/2010/10/the-whole-enchilada-moab-utah-10-16-10/

bikeryder85
    Free Member

hey ltheisinger…I live here in the US and if you are going in Sept. I’d say North Carolina. Pisigh forest is said to have some legendary trails, also Ashville N.C. is quite the bike-friendly place, don’t limit yourself just to the western trails, the east coast has some fun stuff as well…tho Colorado is a mighty fine place to ride…not sure on the weather in Sept tho.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

Davis WV also has the Plantation Trail, also considered one of the best rides in the Country, a bit rough tho, so it all depends on what you’re looking for.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

There’s an Enduro on the most famous trail in the world this September in that Moab place

Enchilada Enduro

I’ll be racing it – if you’re looking to be in the area at that time, I’m sure it will be a blast!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Repack Rider – Member

Does his mean you won’t be visiting Fairfax?

Oh no…. don’t make me feel guilty! 🙂 I’m not sure Charlie? I am just looking at planning something for 2013. The general opinion amongst us is that we probably will come back to Cali, as the other options are looking pretty expensive. If you do one of those now famous BBQ’s of yours then that may sway it?? 😉

AndyP – Member

Bend, OR. If I never rode anywhere else in the US I wouldn’t feel like I was missing out.

cheeezzy24 – Member

+1 for Moab and The Whole Enchilada. 1 of the best rides in the states
    http://14erskiers.com/franksblog/2010/10/the-whole-enchilada-moab-utah-10-16-10/

bikeryder85 – Member

hey ltheisinger…I live here in the US and if you are going in Sept. I’d say North Carolina. Pisigh forest is said to have some legendary trails, also Ashville N.C. is quite the bike-friendly place, don’t limit yourself just to the western trails, the east coast has some fun stuff as well…tho Colorado is a mighty fine place to ride…not sure on the weather in Sept tho.

Davis WV also has the Plantation Trail, also considered one of the best rides in the Country, a bit rough tho, so it all depends on what you’re looking for.

Kitz_Chris – Member

There’s an Enduro on the most famous trail in the world this September in that Moab place

Enchilada Enduro

I’ll be racing it – if you’re looking to be in the area at that time, I’m sure it will be a blast!

Some more excellent options, the planning will continue – hopefully we will get a bit longer now, so the plan could be to start in Cali and end in Colorado? Long trip I know….BUT….what awesome riding!

professor_fate
    Free Member

MBR ’12 had the Oregon article.
    Info they give is to try…
    [/url] Ashland, Or
    Bend, Or
    Black Rock bike park

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘If you could ride in the USA where would it be?’ is closed to new replies.