Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • If you could only have ONE bike, would it be the one that you already have?
  • stretchtoo
    Free Member

Previously it would have been my Genesis Vapour, or the crosscheck with an 11-speed ‘ub. But now it would be my new Longitude, with the knards and with a set of Fat Franks for road use. Lovely on the trail and useable for everything else.

tazzymtb

Would be more than happy to have jones space frame or my ti blacksheep as my only bike.

timraven

Yep, Rocket is as near perfect as I’ll need and I don’t road ride or commute.

ampthill

I ride my 26 inch wheel hard tail for on road with slicks and a 26 inch wheel FS off road

My current hard tail could do it all but not well

I would have thought an OK 29er hard tail would probably keep me happy for life. Provided I had a pile of tyres and it had rack mounts

But in reality I’m looking at n+1 as I do seem to enjoy the road at the mo and would like something a bit more specific

imnotverygood

If you mean just one bike for the widest possible range of uses then it would have to be a Tripster.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have only ever had a basic trek HT. Can’t justify the price tag but the (demoed) bike that always makes me smile the most is a carbon epic. I am convinced Spesh have hidden an engine in there! But £4.5 k is beyond what I would pay for a bike.

daftvader
    Free Member

Yes, my stanton sherpa….

bol

I’d keep my Sync, but put bar ends and a set of road tired wheels on for the road.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nope, it would be this – ordered with my own custom geo.

65 degree head angle
    465mm reach
    17 inch seat tube
    72.5 degree seat tube

Spec would be

Pikes fitted with an Avalanche cartridge
    Superstar Carbon Wheels
    Schwalbe Procore
    Hans Dampf Front
    Rock Razer Rear
    Shimano 1×10 XT mech, One-Up Cage
    XTR shifter
    11-42 Cassette
    30mm Syntace Stem
    Renthal Carbon bars
    Race Face Next SL cranks
    Spank Oozy flats with the titanium axle
    Shimano Saint 180mm Front and Rear
    Renthal Wire on grips
    Reverb
    Sub 200 g seat

I would love every single second of being near or riding that bike. I think I’d **** sleep with it in my bed and kick the missus out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yep, old ‘Trusty Rusty’. Had it since 1994 ish & as I’ve said many times before, it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘Triggers broom’. (there’s only 2 original tubes on the frame, never mind parts)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eSmeff]Mk 8[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

1st time I went to the Alps was with this. (except it was light blue)

matther01
    Free Member

Would have to be my Slackline Ti. 25lb xc/trail 130/160 machine…again like others, wish it had bottle mounts and also a 142 rear. Such a versatile bike and sooo comfy for a HT.

chestrockwell

Probably not for me as my main bike is too much bike for gentle stuff. If I could have only one I expect it to look like a 120mm-ish 29″ FS.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I think I’d have to give up road riding, but my road bike is about 4500 miles away I’m not doing any of that anyway, so yeah, my current bike (Norco Sight C) would be the one that I’d keep. I bought it as an all rounder and it seems to be pretty good at it. Light enough to pedal around all day on and it’s got bigger balls that I do, so no worries about me pushing it past it’s performance threshold.

Basil

Yep, got my one bike and I’m content.
    Gradually upgrading parts is the only vice.
    Feels a really rather good place to be.

oliverracing

I’m not sure I could truly one have one bike, but I guess I could live with a monster-cross with a few wheelsets (one with slick road tyres, one with cx tyres and one with mtb tyres), I’m currently looking at designing and building a frame/bike like this , but I know I would miss the xc racing, as most series do not allow monster-cross bikes, so will almost definitely keep the XC full suss for that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry Tom, but that ancilloti is horrible. Designed by Apollo? 😀

Northwind

Lottis always make me think of these:

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sorry Tom, but that ancilloti is horrible. Designed by Apollo?

No taste, no taste.

They were a brilliant motocross company back in the day. That linkage design was sold to Honda by them, for use on their crossers – now they just make bikes as a little family business. That’s pure heritage right there mate, a far far better design than your Nomads.

The weights right down between your feet and properly aft, no forward-high shock placement. The stiffness of the chassis has actually been tuned and developed to produce the optimal combination of grip in flat corners and stiffness through the rough stuff. The shock rate is great. The bike has real thought put into it.

The only downside beside it being a single pivot (if you think that is one) is that you have to use their shock, which is pretty great anyway.

Still the best bikes I have ridden and the last time I rode one was back in 2004.

garage-dweller

My 456 would do the job just fine. Except for pub / town duties and very rare road riding it is used as my only regular bike. Out in the hills riding? (check) mucking about with the kids? (check) rare trail centre trip (check) swap tyres for slicks and ride to work ( just about but there’s always the train).

In fact not sure why I still have the other bikes…

To be honest a lighter / different hardtail or short travel fs would do the job too. Once micro gd grows out of the topeak seat – can’t be long now – I might get a carbon one in 26 flavour until the spares bin is empty…

hairyscary

I thought that my Nukeproof Mega TR was the ONE as you put it. I was wrong……it’s that Ancillotti. I want that bike……a lot.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’d have to sell my road bike and my ten year old GT but then yes, it would be my Scott Spark. For me, versatility is the most desirable of traits hence why my 3×10 is staying and my Rons are the only tyre I’ll ever need 🙂

colournoise

Current bikes (that actually get ridden) –

Orange Alpine 160
    Cotic BFe
    Lee Cooper XC frame – singlespeed and slicks for commuting

If I could keep only one for all my riding it would have to be (as much as the Alpine makes me grin every time I ride it) the BFe – perfect for local muddy woody singletrack, great for big days out in the hills, bearable for a bit of mixed surface commuting.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

That Ancilloti is a horror! That thing to hold the seat tube on….

chestrockwell

That Ancilloti looks like a Mountain Cycles San An c.1993 rip off to me. No bad thing like.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d take the ancillotti in fluoro orange any day, not keen on chrome though. What does it weigh?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Would be my CX race bike. I’ve cross raced on it, circuit raced on it, time trialled on it, done winter training rides, ridden my local trails. I really love it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Google translate it

http://www.triridemtb.com/ancillotti-2014-fry-27-5/

Full build is 13.2kg

Not bad for a coil equipped aluminium bike eh? I like the polished look as well, it’s so much more exotic than a Nicolai….

The link design is the same as the one Honda motos use.

Before anyone mentions that you will bash the links on rocks, that never happened in the 2-3 years my brother raced one. The links flatten out when you sag the bike and they move underneath the chain guard. Although this build doesn’t appear to be running one and neither are the guys who race them. I seem to remember you’d probably catch the chain ring before you bashed the link.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ancillotti Develop New Enduro Bike | Dropping In

All our frames are custom sizes, but we think a 65º head angle, 1210mm for the wheelbase and 350mm BB height are the right measurements to start the process. We also have three different linkages to customize the progression curve and the link hanger has two hole options to have a slacker or steeper headangle (low and high BB).

Want…..they aren’t ACTUALLY pull shocks though as described in that article….the swingarm merely pulls as opposed to pushes the links.

Also, if you really don’t like their shocks….it appears theres enough room to swap them out these days.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

mmm that is sex

jameso

A chap at Madison had an Ancillotti, ran a team all riding them. Quick rider, he rated it. I love the design and the use of tubes. Seat strut looks a little odd being so upright but I’d expect there’s a good reason for it. Really nice bikes.

tomhoward

This. Cos it’s perfect. (Imo)

The Perfect one by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

And I’d give up road riding.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘If you could only have ONE bike, would it be the one that you already have?’ is closed to new replies.