Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • If you could only have 1 mountain bike…
  • mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

If you could only have one mountain bike (in this scenario you can have as many road bikes as you like) what kind of bike would you choose & why?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only have 1 mountain bike, by choice.

160/150 Bronson. Does everything I want, and is way more capable than the buffoon riding it. 😊

Garry_Lager

Just clearing out a HT, XC, and enduro bike rar now. Will replace with a 2021 giant anthem 29er – not actually out yet but awesome-ness is to be expected for this particular bicycle.

bigblackshed

I already have the only MTB that I could ever want. Stooge.

Tracey

Would have to be my S Works Enduro, closely followed by the Turbo Levo

iainc

I had a few, now I have only one MTB, plus 4 drop bar bikes.

The MTB is a Specialized Turbo Levo SL. Does everything, and is great fun.

corroded
    Free Member

Probably a short-travel FS in ‘downcountry’ guise like the new Tallboy / SB115. Would do everything I need and still be fun.

stanfree
    Free Member

I only have 1 , A trek slash . That would do.

zippykona

My Anthem 29. I sing more on this bike than any of my others.

Kuco

My current Stumpjumper FSR 29er.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Nice responses so far (though I had to Google a few)

I currently don’t have a mountain bike, but am trying to find one – hence the question. There’s not a whole lot of choice, so I’m definitely interested in what people feel is the best all rounder.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

I sing more on this bike than any of my others.

Best reasoning so far 👌

ads678

I also only have one MTB, a mk2 Cotic Solaris. Its bloody great but…If I was gonna buy one to do it all, it’d probaly be a 120mm(ish) travel full suss 29er.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Only one, only one, I dare not say how many are about here.. thought long and hard on this and I’m afraid to say it would be my Cotic Solaris. Always works, works everywhere, can ride miles on it, from ‘softer’ DH tracks to longer rides with lots of road. Could have been a Comencal, but though amazing in places, you wouldn’t want to ride a long way on one, could have been a LEVO SL but though very impressive, it just couldn’t be my only bike, last Bird was a great all rounder and terrific enduro bike but again couldn’t be the only one. I’m sure lots of other people have lots of alternatives as an only bike choice and I’m interested to hear about them.

sirromj

How many BMXs and trials bikes are we allowed?

cookeaa

I only have one MTB, a Stumpy 29er. It’s just about all the MTB I need these days TBH.
    In day gone by I’d have said a 5″ forked HT, but these days I do appreciate the tail end bounce a bit more, but I can’t imagine wanting a longer travel bike now.

aP
    Free Member

I’d be tending towards a Ti Stooge. Something with room for big tyres. Maybe a girder fork
    And a bit of rack action. Reminds me need to email Andy.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I had to pay for it myself I’d just keep my stage 6.

If this is a fantasy exercise, I’d have the new version with a more fancy custom build (but not a load of tacky coloured Hope bling).

blitz

Probably a mid travel 29er FS. Evil Offering maybe if money was no object.

retrobri
    Free Member

It would be a tough call between my Solaris Max and Stooge, both great fun, Cotic probably!

twistedpencil

I only have one as well and its done me proud for 7years, Nicolas Helius AC29er with 160/140 travel. Love it. Though now I’m hankering after a Geometron…

Merak

I only own one, a Signal.

I’ve had a cathartic clear out of my drop bar bikes.

toomuchtime
    Free Member

My Liteville 301 mk12 always makes me smile although a Stooge mk3 to build might change that ???

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Once, I would have said my FS.

These days, it would probably be a full custom Kingdom Vendetta, or a Waltly with full custom geo.

richmtb

If its one I already own then I’d keep my Whyte S-150.

Its got enough travel to tackle anything I’m likely to throw at it and I’m not fit enough to worry about it slowing me down or the flat bits or the climbs

tjagain

My fatbike ( salsa beargrease). I might have to put an ebike kit on it tho

Or something from the shand range.

sharkattack

Like loads of other people have said, I only have one bike. Geometron G16.

It climbs better than much lighter bikes with bigger wheels and goes down better than any DH bike I’ve ever had.

If I had money to burn I’d buy a G1 with EXT shock and probably the new EXT fork if it’s any good. But that would be thousands of quids for marginal gains.

garage-dweller

Either
    Something like my 2015 Camber but with better mud clearance – pretty much ideal for all my normal riding.

OR

Something rigid, light and moderately slack with option of 650b+ or 29 wheels and single speed or geared because I’d be confident it would never have forks or shocks sent away or sloppy frame bearings that needed a trip to the LBS.

Of those if I could REALLY only have one the rigid might just sneak it (although I chickened out of buying a Mk1 Stooge when I bought the Camber).

jree
    Free Member

My cotic soul. It’s really odd that when I go out with the dog on it I feel there’s three of us having fun.

longmover
    Free Member

My Doctahawk when it gets built, mainly because it will be my only bike.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

My surly krampus with a 120mm fox 32.

Absolute hoot to ride, precious little to go wrong and (to me at least) is just a bit special compared with most trail traffic.

reeksy

Obviously no e-bikes allowed.

… and how many wheelsets are we allowed?

If it’s one wheelset, too, I’d go with my SolarisMAX, though i’d drop the Fortus 30 wheels for something a bit nimbler.

iainc

2 ebikes in the first 6 posts..

kayak23

Well obviously it’s not possible to have only one mountain bike but just to honour the fantasy theme, I’d have my pink one. It’s pink and steel and is also rad.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JVGV5H]POka. December 2018[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

dreednya

Ibis Ripley 2 is what I currently have but would upgrade to the Ripley 4

claudie

Anthem 29 for me too, far better for my local trails which is where most of my riding happens

titusrider
    Free Member

I’m currently wishing I could have two…

Currently have a top spec Trek Remedy and love it. Pretty happy that my space for one bike is currently well allocated!

However it would be interesting to try some 29ers again, I fancy a second bike with a more xc bent. The new transition spur looks beautiful or a Stanton Sherpa ti

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

The question is pointless if the desire is to find a bike to buy based on the feedback.

You’re asking people across the country with different views on fun, different types of terrain, different levels of fitness and so on.

The amount of different answers tells you that.

Daffy

A short travel XC bike like a Yeti SB100.

Akers

A modern trail bike. Probably a Yeti SB140 or Ibis Mojo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘If you could only have 1 mountain bike…’ is closed to new replies.