Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • If you could never ride your bike again?
  • ton

if all of a sudden you were told that you could never cycle again, how would you feel.
    how would it affect you, and what else would you do instead?

sambob
    Free Member

I’d be gutted, but then i’d learn to base jump and buy a wing suit and I’d be fine 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

funny you should ask that ton.

ourmaninthenorth

Hope that’s not what they’ve said, ton..!

After picking myself up, I’d have a think about what I could do that would give me a similar sense of the pleasure that riding does, even if it’s an entirely different activity.

You’ll be fine. Get the docs to pull their fingers out, so to speak. 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’d be pretty p!ssed.

Think I would take up rambling put on some red socks and wave my stick at other bikers out of spite.

mboy
    Free Member

Like most people on a Mountain Biking forum (I suspect) I’d be pretty gutted…

But then I’d quickly find out what my limitations were, and set about pushing them ASAP no doubt! 😉

Oh, and I’d investigate all sorts of other sports I could do to get my adrenaline fix that I would still be capable of doing.

ton

no mate, just very interested in how it would be for folk if this happened

ourmaninthenorth

I think I’d set about reading a lot of books. And then writing one.

In between, I’d (setadily) walk to the top of some hills and bask in the glory of fresh air and space. Just like riding a bike, but different.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’d move on to some other sport /pastime

look forwards not back

Wookster

…….I’d be lost……then I’d move to Canada and learn to snowboard!……….in reality I’d probabily start up another hobby I dropped when the kids arrived but wasn’t riding.

wors

Ton. Just get on your bike and ride the bloody thing or i’ll give you a clip round th’ear ole. Or maybe get someone else to do it 🙂

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Been giving this one some thought myself, currently recovering from a nasty Collar Bone break which has now required surgery to be plated and pinned. Currently 2 months off the bike (longest period since I was about 12 (I’m now 34)). I’m sure I will ride again, but at the moment given the inital complications I’ve been having a lot of ‘what if’ thoughts!

So far I’ve struggled to think of another sport that offers the enjoyment and freedom of riding either on/off road. I hate heights so base jumping is out, I might turn to distance swimming as I’ve always fancied having a crack at swimming the channel!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Was looking at this after my 2nd knee op…its on the mend now but seemed touch and go for a while.Biking is’nt the be all and end all.My life revolved exclusively around windsurfing for 15 years and at the time I could’nt imagine life without it…..i miss it occasionally but its no biggy now.
    Theres always semi proffesional marshalling mate 😉

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Walking and photography I reckon

DeeJay
    Free Member

I have absolutely no idea – probably cry a LOT 😳 . . . Mind you that thread on model aircraft looked at least as expensive and time consuming and can be done from a wheelchair 😉

Still no sign of a comeback?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think I would probably get quite fat. As above, find an alternative, might have to move to a country where skiing is a lifestyle option.

MoreCashThanDash

the washing fairy would be delighted and the bikes would be on ebay before I’d finished telling her…..

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d get a dog and get out for long country walks most weekends. Seems like a decent trade if I had no option. I like my bike, but like being ‘out there’ even more. The bike just facilitates things.

upcreek
    Free Member

Become a serial killer, albeit a fat one 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d be more bothered about the underlying reason than not riding (by more I mean pretty much only).

jeb

Ride(on my bike) off a huge cliff!

tazzymtb

having been a strong climber who had to stop climbing at a high grades 😉 due to knackered joints I was a seriously grumpy (insert expletive of choice) for quite a while I couldn’t see the point of just biffing up diffs with the ron hill brigade.

I remembered that I used to love mountain bikes back in the day and got back into mountain biking. I Stay in touch with a few of the climbing crowd and I do miss the big mountaineering trips, but I’ve got a load of new mates through biking and a love of shiny things all over again.

If I had to stop riding I’d find another excuse to get out in the hills even if I had to drag myself there using only my lips or in a really bleak and dire future wear a bobble hat and brashers and be a flippin ramblynobber 😀

there’s always something you can do to stay in touch with what you want to do, you just have to get a bit more inventive.

ojom
    Free Member

Running and gardening.

Probably hone my nunchuck skills too.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

tazz- ‘had to stop climbing at a high level’- how did you get down??

ps how the heck do you do quotes!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Out on a ride we crossed a road and met an old boy on an ancient tourer. Cap, old school leather cycling shoes, the works. Whilst chatting he toldus that cycling was the easiest way he could get about. He couldn’t walk too well and didn’t drive any more. I didn’t ask why, but his enthusiasm was incredible. He must have been at least 70, maybe 80 years old.

My point is that I’d have to be just about dead before I’d give up. I’ve met 2 guys with one arm who rode, paralysed people can get handcycles, and if I could walk, I could bloody well ride a bike!

🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Ton, you could always get one of those ‘heart in a backpack’ things I saw on tv last week.

You’ll just need a bigger backpack for tools, nutrition etc…

tazzymtb

pop- I sat at the top and waited for it to erode 😀

emma82
    Free Member

Pretty much what these guys think

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Tara-Llanes,5779/k-shiz,14

I’d be very gutted and can’t think that there would ever be any positive reason behind it so whatever happened there would be something crap in the background.

epicyclo

I’d find a doctor who rides bikes…

Unless it was due that affliction that affects so many car drivers – blindness. Then I’d buy a bling tandem and go looking for kind people.

slowrider
    Free Member

Get a ‘crosser and go wreck the trails for you lot. If I can’t ride em no one can!

Seriously though, something involving speed I reckon.

elaineanne
    Free Member

id be gutted ! 😥 :?…..id prob ➡ back to climbing/bouldering….this was my main sport and i was well into climbing…then all of a sudden i got into mtb and its taken over…but i must get some climbing done this summer….i must i must i must :mrgreen:

Trimix
    Free Member

If you couldnt ride your bike you probably couldnt do much in the way of physical sports – so you would have to find something that didnt use legs/balance/effort.

If I was that buggered Id go diving more – its not hard on the body and its not physical. Shame I live so far from the sea though.

Id end up miserable as hell and stalk STW to spread my misery.

cinnamon_girl

Do hope you haven’t been told that ton?

Years ago, I was told I could never run again and felt my world had come to an end. What kept me going though was training for the National 3 Peaks 24 hour challenge.

I have always liked walking and riding so that did help, although not the same obviously.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d be narked to say the least, but I’d accept it along with any decent offer for my bikes & do more of what I already don’t have much time to do. ( sea fishing & errr, making model aircraft)

elaineanne
    Free Member

er jeb ?????? i dont understand your input ???? why wud you wanna throw yourself off a cliff…really ? no really no really ? :mrgreen:
    then i guess you’d be the one at the bottom of the ‘pitt’ stirring the couldren and keeping those fires Ablaze dressed in your red dining suit with large fork at hand…. :mrgreen:

TimP
    Free Member

I would find the underlying issue and get a second or a third opinion or more if needed till I got the answer I wanted!

Got told 2 years ago that my tendonitis in my Achilles would never go away and that along with the advanced arthritis in my big toes, I should hang up my rugby boots and that I should never bother running again (ie no triathlons marathons etc).I am back playing and although can only do limited training (no runs, just weights and training sessions) I still get to give up on my own terms. It will be pretty soon, but it will be my choice, and that is the important thing.

grumm
    Free Member

I thought I was in this position a year or so ago, but without the option of doing other outdoor activities. I was quite severely depressed as a result.

If I definitely couldn’t do regular stuff ever again then yup, wingsuit base jumping!

benji_allen
    Free Member

Tissue usage would go up.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’d be pretty peeved , i had to give up triathlon after a bad accident knackered one of my knees up (told by docs no running) i can’t honestly think what i’d do instead to stay fit , probably swimming.

going for long walks is out , I do enough walking posting rubbish through peoples doors already.

BlobOnAStick

I’d spend even more time learning to play my piano and sailing my boat.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d miss it terribly, but there’s always another hobby that would empty my wallet and give me some kicks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘If you could never ride your bike again?’ is closed to new replies.